autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to detailing...Chrome/plastic chrome advice

Hello, I'm new here but I thought this would be a great place to ask this question. We have a Chrysler town and country we just purchased and the exterior is in great condition. I bought some wax from the auto parts store but I didnt pay attention to the label very well. Apparently it is megs cleaner wax. I was going to use it in the van but i noticed on the fine print it said to keep it away from rubber and non painted surfaces. Our van has a lot of chrome trim. And most of it borders tightly to the black rubber trim on the windows, doors ect. So first question is, should I even use the cleaner wax on this plastic trim? I've heard that plastic chrome or chrome in general shouldn't be waxed? If it's not ok to use this product is there another product that is recommended to protect the chrome pieces from getting stained and faded? How do I keep it off of the black rubber trim? And is there a product I can use on the black trim around the van? I can take pictures if I need too. Sorry for being a long question.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to detailing...Chrome/plastic chrome advice

Quote Originally Posted by daphniesman04 View Post
    Hello, I'm new here but I thought this would be a great place to ask this question. We have a Chrysler town and country we just purchased and the exterior is in great condition. I bought some wax from the auto parts store but I didnt pay attention to the label very well. Apparently it is megs cleaner wax.

I was going to use it in the van but i noticed on the fine print it said to keep it away from rubber and non painted surfaces. Our van has a lot of chrome trim. And most of it borders tightly to the black rubber trim on the windows, doors ect.

So first question is, should I even use the cleaner wax on this plastic trim? I've heard that plastic chrome or chrome in general shouldn't be waxed? If it's not ok to use this product is there another product that is recommended to protect the chrome pieces from getting stained and faded?

How do I keep it off of the black rubber trim?

And is there a product I can use on the black trim around the van?

I can take pictures if I need too. Sorry for being a long question.
    1 -- Keep the wax off the black rubber/plastic trim pieces.

2-- Wax is fine on the chrome on the exterior, just use a small MF cloth to apply and remove

3-- For the exterior trim, black pieces you can find lots of 'Trim' protectants on the AG store. Many to choose from so pick what matches your budget.
    For easy search use the word 'Trim' in the product search at the top of the store's website. You will find many.

4-- For that van find a good product for all the rubber door gaskets, many of the trim are good for that too.
    some suggestions
    SONAX Rubber Protectant (GummiPfleger)
    303 Rubber Seal Protectant

Welcome to the forum and enjoy taking care of that new vehicle.

3. Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This being a “cleaner wax” has microfine cleaning particles along with the wax so there is a possibility you could scratch the “chrome” with it. That plastic chrome stuff is delicate and once scratched it is junk since you can’t polish out imperfections. My advice is to use a non polishing product to protect the chrome-like stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

No to the cleaner wax to chrome and something like TW Seal and Shine is effective for your needs. Best results will come after the rubber trim is cleaned

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Cleaner Wax is safe to use on plastic chrome, I’ve used it along with other cleaner waxes such as Megs D151, HD Speed, etc. many times.

For demonstration purposes, I’ll pull out my 15+ yr. old bottle of Cleaner Wax and use it on an old plastic chrome emblem I have laying around.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

It does good at cleaning it up and removing light water spots and imperfections.

Follow the directions and simply keep it off the rubber pieces.. You can either be careful or mask the rubber off with some masking tape.

Meguiars Plastix also works really well for plastic chrome.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the goal here is simply to find a protection product that is easy and safe to use on ALL of your van’s exterior surfaces, then I would look at something like Opti-Seal from Optimum...

Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus!

You indicated that the van is already in good shape. In order to keep it looking good you can literally use a product like Opti-Seal to protect every single surface outside and inside your vehicle (with perhaps the exception of fabric). It is safe and effective for use on paint, plastic trim, rubber, chrome, wheels, glass, vinyl, and even leather.

You can also use it as a drying aid when washing your vehicle.

This is purely a protection product and does not do any cleaning, but if the goal is finding a safe, easy, and effective product to protect your vehicle against the elements this one fits the bill.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Mike Phillips

Hi Daphnie,

Cool name.

Becaues this is your frist post to AGO

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Hello, I'm new here but I thought this would be a great place to ask this question.

We have a Chrysler town and country we just purchased and the exterior is in great condition. I bought some wax from the auto parts store but I didnt pay attention to the label very well. Apparently it is megs cleaner wax.

I was going to use it in the van but i noticed on the fine print it said to keep it away from rubber and non painted surfaces. Our van has a lot of chrome trim. And most of it borders tightly to the black rubber trim on the windows, doors ect.

So first question is, should I even use the cleaner wax on this plastic trim?
    No. You shouldn't use ANY brand of wax or sealant on black plastic exterior trim. It will tend to stain it.

Instead - TAKE YOUR TIME and work around the trim. I know that van well, there's plenty of paint to keep you busy putting wax on it.

For the black plastic, rubber and vinyl trim you want to use a dedicated exterior dressing.

I've heard that plastic chrome or chrome in general shouldn't be waxed? If it's not ok to use this product is there another product that is recommended to protect the chrome pieces from getting stained and faded?
    This is incorrect. You can use a cleaner/wax on plastic chrome. Apply, work and then wipe-off.

How do I keep it off of the black rubber trim?

Simple. Take your time. Don't rub your applicator pad over the trim. Keep the applicator pad on the paint. There's lots of it.

And is there a product I can use on the black trim around the van?
    My guess is you need an all-in-one trim cleaner and protectant. This type of product will clean off road film and oxidation and then restore a darker, nicer looking appearance.

I can take pictures if I need too.
    Sure, picture tell a thousand words.

The easy way to share a picture on a forum - Tapatalk App for your cell phone

Sorry for being a long question.
    I think I get the prize for being long-winded. Read a few of my articles on any topic.

Here is one suggestion that will help you when you write ANYWHERE, even in an e-mail to a friend or co-worker.

How to type in a way that other people will read what you write

Mike Phillips

Also - you posted this in a forum group for company promotions and sales,

This one,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...forum-members/

I've moved it to Detailing 101 - which is a CATCH-ALL forum group for any an all questions.

I've left a "copy" of your post in the sales and promotions group so you can find it but it will be moving to here,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...tailing-101-a/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everyone and sorry I posted in the wrong spot.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had my "plastic chrome" wheels on my Ram since 2012.

I routinely use a light cleaner wax/polish, and have never had one problem.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast