autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DG AquaWax as drying aid for ceramic coating

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Experiences like this are the exact reason I am staunchly still in the "Non-Coating" army.

In fact, as we march into battle, I am the one in the front waving the flag that has the Collinite 476s symbol..

My direct superior, Lt. Bob will sometimes sound the trumpet and have me raise the FK1000 flag, though.

I'm there with you, waving the 845 flag with a small FK1000 patch (used it once so far, but it's good). I also need a Meguiar's patch on it because I'll forever love that company.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Topping a coating is a super complex and long topic lol. Basically, my personal suggestion having played a ton of different coating stuff is that if it's a quality coating, leave it be. Drying aids for coatings are great, or not. There's so many different chemical reasons to or not to top.

As for graphene, I'm undecided. I have one car with graphene and one car with Cquartz UK on it. No clue, both are great. Drove through a rain storm with it yesterday. car looks freshly washed. Time will tell I guess?

To be honest, I'm guessing the reason that Gloss Coat is accepting the topping so easily is because Gloss Coat was designed to be topped. It was formulated to accept Optimum Car Wax or Optiseal, dealers choice. But it also means that a lot of other products will play nice on top of it. That being said, anything used to top a coating generally will not last as long because no full bond was established.

At the end of the day, topping coatings really are dealers choice. You don't need to but some people like to. I can say that topping a coating with the right stuff can take a manufacturers rating of 2 years to 3 years. I had a car that I maintained to close to the 4 year mark with CQuartz UK with toppers and what not on top. After a wash and fall out removers, still had no bonded contaminants. No claying was needed. When I did the polishing off of whatever Cquartz UK was left, the white pad I used didn't pick up a lot of embedded dirt, meaning that the coating kept itself relatively clean for 4 years. That's the real benefit of a coating.
    Not my experience with coatings. How much was that car driven in the rain? Was it garaged? I see coatings accumulate road grime at the same rate as clear coat. I also live where it rains 8 months out of the year.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

3. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The car was driven in the rain. It was garaged but it was a daily. It spent overnight in garages and then got driven out into the snow as is and the rain. I do believe they accumulate road grime at the same rate but after fall out treatment, the difference is night and day. I live in Toronto, Canada with all the snow and salt on the roads and the like. During winter time, I powerwash the under carriage and the car then wash with rinseless. I used a mixture of toppers mostly, PBL Synergy being my personal favourite. I've used PA, as well as Kamikaze for s&&&s and giggles.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

5. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been using different brands of ceramic spray coatings the last couple of years. Last week I pulled out the Aquawax, and to my surprise, it seems glossier than most of the spray coatings. Right now I’ve got the aqua wax on top of Blackfire SiO2 spray sealant and the AW really amped up the gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZpolisher15 View Post
    I’ve been using different brands of ceramic spray coatings the last couple of years. Last week I pulled out the Aquawax, and to my surprise, it seems glossier than most of the spray coatings. Right now I’ve got the aqua wax on top of Blackfire SiO2 spray sealant and the AW really amped up the gloss.
    I’ve noticed that switching up LSP types lets me realize the appeal of each. When I use traditional sealant after using ceramic sprays for a season, it looks amazing and wet. Then I use carnauba the next season and I’m blown away by the richness of color. Then I put ceramic spray back on my other car and I’m amazed at the glassy look.

These are part of what makes me continually touch my vehicles’ paints.

8. Likes jmorlan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    The car was driven in the rain. It was garaged but it was a daily. It spent overnight in garages and then got driven out into the snow as is and the rain. I do believe they accumulate road grime at the same rate but after fall out treatment, the difference is night and day. I live in Toronto, Canada with all the snow and salt on the roads and the like. During winter time, I powerwash the under carriage and the car then wash with rinseless. I used a mixture of toppers mostly, PBL Synergy being my personal favourite. I've used PA, as well as Kamikaze for s&&&s and giggles.
    Thanks for that info. Interesting difference. If anything I think I saw more road grime accumulation on the areas with coatings. This is subjective based on me having some areas of one car with coatings and some without and what I felt when claying after a year or so. Note that I also drive in rain ~8 months of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I’ve noticed that switching up LSP types lets me realize the appeal of each. When I use traditional sealant after using ceramic sprays for a season, it looks amazing and wet. Then I use carnauba the next season and I’m blown away by the richness of color. Then I put ceramic spray back on my other car and I’m amazed at the glassy look.

These are part of what makes me continually touch my vehicles’ paints.
    I always think I can see a difference. I'm not sure this isn't all placebo effect. A couple of years ago I put several different products on my wife's Boxster (Polish Angel spray, Aquawax, and a few others including a carnuba wax if I recall). Different product on each panel. I had her look at her car outside mid-day and in late afternoon sun ("golden hour") and asked her to tell me what looked best. She saw no difference and thought they all looked good. I think sometimes we're looking to hard, and if we know what product is on the car we can't help but be influenced by that. Blind testing is the only way to really know if we see a difference or not.

I do get more compliments from neighbors walking by after I use Aquawax on a car more than anything else. I also tend to use Aquawax more often, so it could just be a percentage thing.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    I always think I can see a difference. I'm not sure this isn't all placebo effect. A couple of years ago I put several different products on my wife's Boxster (Polish Angel spray, Aquawax, and a few others including a carnuba wax if I recall). Different product on each panel. I had her look at her car outside mid-day and in late afternoon sun ("golden hour") and asked her to tell me what looked best. She saw no difference and thought they all looked good. I think sometimes we're looking to hard, and if we know what product is on the car we can't help but be influenced by that. Blind testing is the only way to really know if we see a difference or not.
    I have trouble telling differences on small areas and probably on full panels. I see the differences on the full car, particularly when I always check things out from similar angles (which occurs a lot when the car is parked in the driveway or garage). There’s been times, even very recently where I had to double take because I forgot that I had changed my LSP up. Funny enough, my wife points out differences as well when I change LSPs or add a topper, particularly when she likes it a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair when I say it accumulates less road film, this is after using carpro trix on the coating vs trix on a sealant or wax. Most sealants and waxes would be removed by the fallout remover but a good coating isn't.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Just use Duragloss Rinseless wash and no need to use Aquawax. There is enough Aquawax in the rinseless wash to last a couple weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol sorry deleted.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast