autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating topper or complete refresh?

I had my car professionally paint corrected and ceramic coated with CQuartz almost 3 years ago. I've only put 2000 mi on the car since and it's been a garage queen, and I'm curious if for good measure I should put a topper like Gliss or Reload on the car or if I should apply a new coat CQuartz on the car? If the latter, would you suggest I do the whole works as far as mechanical decontamination, polish, etc?

Also, while the paintwork still looks amazing, under the harsh bright sunlight I can see some super fine scratches. I don't know if this is in the ceramic or clear, but even with the best paint correction are some lines always going to be visible in black paint? Or is it possible to get these completely out even under the harshest light?

If these were introduced by me into the ceramic, and the ceramic coating is still good, what would a Gliss or Reload get rid of these? Thanks!

I just took a couple quick pics and there's some dust on the car, but you can catch some of the refraction of the fine scratches in the bright sun.

Ceramic coating topper or complete refresh?-black_paint_1-jpg

Ceramic coating topper or complete refresh?-black_paint_2-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating topper or complete refresh?

Welcome to AGO.

What Cquartz coating is on it now? UK, Classic, Finest? Those appear to be from either washing or drying. Reload or Gliss won't remove them. Reload does a good job at filling but it has less than desirable performance. Same can be said with CarPro Essence Plus.

3. Thanks DetailBertch thanked for this post
    Likes DetailBertch liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DetailBertch View Post

I had my car professionally paint corrected and ceramic coated with CQuartz almost 3 years ago. I've only put 2000 mi on the car since and it's been a garage queen, and I'm curious if for good measure I should put a topper like Gliss or Reload on the car
    Using a topper would be the easiest and best route in my opinion. Then simply look at the results and go from there.

or if I should apply a new coat CQuartz on the car?

If the latter, would you suggest I do the whole works as far as mechanical decontamination, polish, etc?
    This is must me and my thoughts on the subject, but if you want to add a FRESH layer of a ceramic coating - you really want to do some preop work first. CQuartz makes a product just for this type of thing called CarPro Essence Plus. Here's the link,

CarPro Essence PLUS 250 ml

And you can apply it by hand or machine.

Hope that helps.

5. Thanks DetailBertch thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you pay professionally for the new coating, or try it yourself this time around?

If paying professionally I would absolutely go the topper route. There could still be good life in the coating and those small zeros font seem terrible. You owe it to yourself to see what you think before spending the big money on a full decon, correction and coating. As my last statement mentioned, if you do go with a new coating I would do a full decon and I would correct those small swirls.

7. Thanks DetailBertch thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Welcome to AGO.

What Cquartz coating is on it now? UK, Classic, Finest? Those appear to be from either washing or drying. Reload or Gliss won't remove them. Reload does a good job at filling but it has less than desirable performance. Same can be said with CarPro Essence Plus.
    It has Cquartz Finest on it now. I would imagine you are right about those coming from washing or drying...while I have been careful, or so I thought, when washing or drying I know now much more than I did after doing a lot of research on proper maintenance this past week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Using a topper would be the easiest and best route in my opinion. Then simply look at the results and go from there.

This is must me and my thoughts on the subject, but if you want to add a FRESH layer of a ceramic coating - you really want to do some preop work first. CQuartz makes a product just for this type of thing called CarPro Essence Plus. Here's the link,

CarPro Essence PLUS 250 ml

And you can apply it by hand or machine.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your thoughts! Perhaps I'll try a topper first to see if that fills in any of those defects and go from there as you suggested. It sounds like Reload would be the first step to try, and then Essence Plus if not satisfied with the results?

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Would you pay professionally for the new coating, or try it yourself this time around?

If paying professionally I would absolutely go the topper route. There could still be good life in the coating and those small zeros font seem terrible. You owe it to yourself to see what you think before spending the big money on a full decon, correction and coating. As my last statement mentioned, if you do go with a new coating I would do a full decon and I would correct those small swirls.
    I would actually like to try my hand at it this go around. I've been investing and researching a lot on the proper gear and techniques through resources such as Pan The Organizer and Obsessed Garage and think I'm ready to handle this on my own. I recently tried paint correcting my parents new car and applying a ceramic coating to it and I was pleasantly surprised I didn't make it worse ha! I removed a lot of the dealer induced swirls as the car had sat on the lot for over 500 days so I've gained a bit of confidence, and know what I could have done better there as well.

I think I'll try the topper as I would imagine there is still good life in the coating as you suggested. To apply a topper, would you suggest the following routine:

- Foam wash
    - Rinse
    - Iron decontamination
    - Rinse
    - Eraser or similar??
    - Topper

Post Thanks / Like

I would actually like to try my hand at it this go around. I've been investing and researching a lot on the proper gear and techniques through resources such as Pan The Organizer and Obsessed Garage and think I'm ready to handle this on my own. I recently tried paint correcting my parents new car and applying a ceramic coating to it and I was pleasantly surprised I didn't make it worse ha! I removed a lot of the dealer induced swirls as the car had sat on the lot for over 500 days so I've gained a bit of confidence, and know what I could have done better there as well.

I think I'll try the topper as I would imagine there is still good life in the coating as you suggested. To apply a topper, would you suggest the following routine:

- Foam wash
    - Rinse
    - Iron decontamination
    - Rinse
    - Eraser or similar??
    - Topper
    It’s completely expected to have minor swirling from washing/drying after 3 years. If anything, you probably did a pretty good job washing and you’ve only gained more knowledge, so give yourself kudos.

Reload isn’t the most popular topper here but it does fill well, apparently. I’ve heard water behavior and longevity aren’t the greatest. But it’s still a quality product I’m sure.

I think it’s a great idea to tackle the coating yourself when the times comes.

I suggest this, assuming car is not totally filthy, iron decon should be done on a dry surface, washing not required prior.
    - Iron decontamination
    - Foam wash
    - Rinse
    - Eraser or similar
    - Topper

10. Thanks DetailBertch thanked for this post
    Likes DetailBertch, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    It’s completely expected to have minor swirling from washing/drying after 3 years. If anything, you probably did a pretty good job washing and you’ve only gained more knowledge, so give yourself kudos.

Reload isn’t the most popular topper here but it does fill well, apparently. I’ve heard water behavior and longevity aren’t the greatest. But it’s still a quality product I’m sure.

I think it’s a great idea to tackle the coating yourself when the times comes.

I suggest this, assuming car is not totally filthy, iron decon should be done on a dry surface, washing not required prior.
    - Iron decontamination
    - Foam wash
    - Rinse
    - Eraser or similar
    - Topper
    I'm guilty of taking a microfiber towel to ever so gently try and fling dust off the paint after it's been sitting awhile...I won't do that again. But I've purchased a CR Spotless and Adam's Air Cannon to be as hands off as reasonable moving forward!

It sounds like the CarPro Essensce Plus as mentioned earlier might be just want I'm after instead of the Reload. Might give that a try and hope any fine swirls are in the ceramic and disappear with this. I'll update with results! Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like

It has Cquartz Finest on it now. I would imagine you are right about those coming from washing or drying...while I have been careful, or so I thought, when washing or drying I know now much more than I did after doing a lot of research on proper maintenance this past week.

Thanks for your thoughts! Perhaps I'll try a topper first to see if that fills in any of those defects and go from there as you suggested. It sounds like Reload would be the first step to try, and then Essence Plus if not satisfied with the results?

- Foam wash
    - Rinse
    - Iron decontamination
    - Rinse
    - Eraser or similar??
    - Topper
    Here are the directions for ironx but it applies to any iron remover.

Shake bottle.
    Wash vehicle, rinse vehicle, and remove the majority of the water with a quick towel "once-over".
    Spray Iron X across the contaminated area.
    After 2 ~ 5 minutes rinse off or wash off if dried (depending on environment and temperatures).
    Verify all Iron X is completely removed and then dry vehicle.
    Remove nozzle and replace cap after use (to avoid leakage).

Here are the directions for Essence Plus. They recommend a pad with no cut by machine.

Preparation:
    1. Wash with Reset, and decontaminate with Iron X, Spotless, and if needed Tar X. Wash and rinse thoroughly.
    2. Dry vehicle and wipe down with CarPro Eraser for clean oil free surface.

Via Dual Action Polisher:
    1. Prime CarPro Gloss Pad with Essence Plus.
    2. Apply with no pressure in multiple overlapping passes on speed 1-3 across 24” x 24” (60cm x 60cm) section.
    3. Clean pad with brush and apply 3 pea size drops to the pad.
    4. Move to next section and repeat steps 2-3.
    5. Continue around entire vehicle in this manner.
    6. Wipe excess residue off of entire vehicle.

Via Hand:
    1. Wash and dry vehicle.
    2. Apply a few pea size dots of Essence Plus to the applicator.
    3. Apply in overlapping figure circular motions across 24” sq. +/- and work into surface similar to a “polymer sealant” (liquid wax) application method.
    4. Move to next section and repeat steps 2-3.
    5. Continue around entire vehicle in this manner.
    6. Allow to cure for at least an hour.
    7. Wipe excess residue off of entire vehicle.

Precautions:
    • On coated surfaces – If using machine, use only with CarPro Gloss Pad.
    • On coated surfaces - Avoid “edging” pad into a curve and keep pad flush with paint.
    • Keep container tightly closed after use.
    • Keep container out of the sun.
    • Test product on inconspicuous area before use.
    • Store in cool dry place.
    • Keep away from children.
    • Do not ingest.
    • Not for use as a primer

I'm guilty of taking a microfiber towel to ever so gently try and fling dust off the paint after it's been sitting awhile...I won't do that again. But I've purchased a CR Spotless and Adam's Air Cannon to be as hands off as reasonable moving forward!

It sounds like the CarPro Essensce Plus as mentioned earlier might be just want I'm after instead of the Reload. Might give that a try and hope any fine swirls are in the ceramic and disappear with this. I'll update with results! Thanks all.
    Essence Plus will fill in minor defects. Get yourself some CarPro Elixir as well to give you that hydrophobic behavior. It is a better maintenance product over Reload. Check out my review

Mini Review - CarPro Essence Plius

Post Thanks / Like

If this a pampered garage queen look into Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz. Also Griots Garage Ceramic 3-1. Both are far superior to reload.

I have not read many good things on essence plus. Please review if you do use it.

I would also look into topping with a ceramic lite product like Cquartz lite. It’s a semi ceramic (?) in that it is a lighter version of a coating. It has minor filling capabilities. I just topped my Cquartz UK with Gyeon Cancoat (similar lite product) after 12+ months and it came out well. My car has seen alot more environment than yours and think that would be a great way to add more protection l, add some gloss and dip your toes into coatings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk