autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions of tools polishing Narrow area (pillars, trims, bumpers...)

Hi, this has been annoyed me a little. I am not a professional and I am only doing my own car so I probably wouldn't spend too much for a dedicated RUPES nano ibrid.

I've seen several ways to do it but not sure which one is the most reliable and I would like to avoid risky ones.

1. By hand
    I tried this with MF towel on A pillars. I don't know if I should work longer but this is just way too tiring considering you have to constantly pushing to the edges and avoid moving onto the nearby panels. And the result wasn't too good.
    2.Small pads to a hand held drill.
    I have a lot of drills and adapters. I don't know the exact reasons, but it seems drills should be avoided most of the time since they're not designed for the job. And personally I don't have very good experiences with drills polishing large area flat panel. They just don't seem to work.
    3.large size DA polisher with extension rods
    This seems a good idea but I am not seeing a lot of people doing this. And the extension rods are only sold at very few places. Why is this option so unpopular? Is it because it's unsafe because the rod tends to break away during motions? I have read these rods are very likely to bent on a DA. Just wanna know if they can damage the paint?

So what would you do within a tight budget?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions of tools polishing Narrow area (pillars, trims, bumpers...)

Not sold by AG, but check out Diavolo polishers. I have the 16v model, and use it mostly for headlights - paired with Rupes blue foam pads and Zephir coarse compond it works great. They also have flex shaft and attachments too. Waaaayyy less money than the Rupes Nano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vrships View Post
    Hi, this has been annoyed me a little. I am not a professional and I am only doing my own car so I probably wouldn't spend too much for a dedicated RUPES nano ibrid.

I've seen several ways to do it but not sure which one is the most reliable and I would like to avoid risky ones.

1. By hand
    I tried this with MF towel on A pillars. I don't know if I should work longer but this is just way too tiring considering you have to constantly pushing to the edges and avoid moving onto the nearby panels. And the result wasn't too good.
    2.Small pads to a hand held drill.
    I have a lot of drills and adapters. I don't know the exact reasons, but it seems drills should be avoided most of the time since they're not designed for the job. And personally I don't have very good experiences with drills polishing large area flat panel. They just don't seem to work.
    3.large size DA polisher with extension rods
    This seems a good idea but I am not seeing a lot of people doing this. And the extension rods are only sold at very few places. Why is this option so unpopular? Is it because it's unsafe because the rod tends to break away during motions? I have read these rods are very likely to bent on a DA. Just wanna know if they can damage the paint?

So what would you do within a tight budget?
    Some will disagree but I've done hundreds of cars without issue. Black B and C Pillars often shed color so use an old Light cutting or medium polishing pad and keep it for dedicated use there. I use forced rotation polishers but any DA will do, just keep it spinning. You won't need a small polisher to tape anything off. Just dress the rubber seals and trim around them with a rubber protectant or like prior to polishing them. Don't gouge into the seals of course when polishing. Use medium pressure and check often as you dont' want to heat them up.

When done, wipe off the polish and if any remains, simply use a few drops from a $5 bottle of mineral oil on a microfiber rag and/or a toothbrush and it will clean them up without issue. You can see what I mean on the edges of this car prior to wiping it off. Not a big deal at all. Every vehicle I detail gets polished out this way.

[img]https://pbase.com/timothylauro/image/167626105/original.jpg[img]

Few others I have handy:

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That' a nice cordelss machine. This could be my next investment.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Some will disagree but I've done hundreds of cars without issue. Black B and C Pillars often shed color so use an old Light cutting or medium polishing pad and keep it for dedicated use there. I use forced rotation polishers but any DA will do, just keep it spinning. You won't need a small polisher to tape anything off. Just dress the rubber seals and trim around them with a rubber protectant or like prior to polishing them. Don't gouge into the seals of course when polishing. Use medium pressure and check often as you dont' want to heat them up.

When done, wipe off the polish and if any remains, simply use a few drops from a $5 bottle of mineral oil on a microfiber rag and/or a toothbrush and it will clean them up without issue. You can see what I mean on the edges of this car prior to wiping it off. Not a big deal at all. Every vehicle I detail gets polished out this way.

[img]https://pbase.com/timothylauro/image/167626105/original.jpg[img]

Few others I have handy:

Your results are fabulous. I see how it works out with big machines and big pads. But I am more concerned with just the narrow single trim of say, a pillar, of the upper window trim where it at most fits a 2.5" pad.

Working with just the edges of big foam pads could be a solution. Is it risky? How likely is it gonna burn the clear coat or create hologram?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vrships View Post
    Working with just the edges of big foam pads could be a solution. Is it risky? How likely is it gonna burn the clear coat or create hologram?
    The random orbit of the pad will keep it from burn thru or holograms, even when using just the pad edge.

You don't say which DA you are using, but if it is a Porter Cable/GG type machine pick up a 3" backing plate. And remember 'tape is your friend' when working in tight areas or near rubber/dark trim. That being said, I upgraded to a Rupes Mini polisher and really like having a dedicated small DA polisher.

Also, it is not recommended using an extension for a DA polisher, as the random orbit throws it out of balance.

Post Thanks / Like

Flex every day

Enviado desde mi ANE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk