autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Do right by your customer

Today’s detail went every which way but right. Long story short, the vehicle was parked across the park from a water tower that was being painted and there is white industrial paint overspray on every surface of the car. When I spoke with the owner yesterday, after being contacted by the painting company to try rectify the paint, he had mentioned that he thought the vehicle was in an accident at one point and never reported.

Fast forward to this morning when I get the vehicle and give it a rinseless wash to have a better understanding of everything, and my painters eyes immediately start seeing things that confirm the customer’s suspicions. OK, so it has been repainted, and should have a clear coat. Wrong. I tried a test spot with CarPro TarX and an aggressive clay. The TarX marred/reactivated the paint and the clay physically pulled the paint it was that soft. OK, "Joe Backyard Body Man and Friend who does painting" has been here. I cleaned the surface and buffed it back out with Blackfire One Step to fix the paint. OK, next step let’s try just the clay and clay lube, nope, next plastic razor blades…. Nope, but some hope as a couple spots came off. Last gasp effort - steam with a plastic razor and clay. Nothing. What worked was a long-handled metal razor blade, with a low attack angle and a very soft touch. However, to perform this over the entire vehicle was more than cost prohibitive. Furthermore, there was no way to correct the problem without doing further damage to the vehicle.

So, after two hours of working the car and several attempts, it was time to pronounce last rights, and call the owner of the vehicle and give him the bad news. 1. I am unable to remove anything. 2. Your vehicle was definitely in an accident at some point and not reported and then show him when I delivered the vehicle.

Several factors contributed to this realization as I looked at the vehicle and worked on it -

1. The orange peel was different on all of the panels
    2. There was black overspray on the underside of the tail light that I could see through the white backup lens because it was taped off and not removed
    3. There was a definitive tape line running the length of the trunk lid area on the rear quarter
    4. There was a distinct tape line that could also be seen to a trained eye of a painter where they taped the bumper in half and blended it out right above the license plate
    5. The gaps on the door panels didn’t line up
    6. The front clip and hood had a wide enough gap to put my index finger between them
    7. Paint removal on what should be a base coat clear coat vehicle
    8. Light spot on the right front quarter panel that wasn’t completely covered

Clearly the customer was upset his car could not be fixed, but furthermore explaining to him all of the issues related to his car were far more serious than he had previously thought. He thanked me for trying and the honesty. As detailers, we not only have to do right by ourselves, but do right for our customers. Today was a good learning experience for myself, and thought I could share some finer points of my painting experience with my fellow detailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

2. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do right by your customer

Hey Mike,
    Thanks for taking time to share your experience with us.

It was smart on your part not do more damage to the vehicle.

I’m not a professional detailer like many of you, I’ve learned that some cars can’t be restored.

Some have too much damage, etching. There only so much we can restore, and clients needs to understand that.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m always scared of getting overspray when parked somewhere. There are many things we can control but not something like that. And the damage can be extensive.

Did I understand it correctly that you use Tar X as lube for clay? Or you meant you did those two things in sequence?
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I’m always scared of getting overspray when parked somewhere. There are many things we can control but not something like that. And the damage can be extensive.

Did I understand it correctly that you use Tar X as lube for clay? Or you meant you did those two things in sequence?
    Both by itself and with clay as a lube. The clay also dug in on another part of the car with just clay lube. I've never encountered a paint that would bite clay or vice-versa like it did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post
    Both by itself and with clay as a lube. The clay also dug in on another part of the car with just clay lube. I've never encountered a paint that would bite clay or vice-versa like it did.
    Interesting, never heard of someone using tar x as lube for clay. Sounds like it could save some time if it works well.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Interesting, never heard of someone using tar x as lube for clay. Sounds like it could save some time if it works well.
    It's unorthodox, but given the condition of the car with the overspray I gave it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

For a car that's bad enough, you can use clay with TarX, IronX, and the like. However, you probably do need to throw that piece of clay away afterwards.

Well done Mike, I know that if it was me in that situation, I'd come back to your shop. I know that I would be able to trust you with my car.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

9. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

While I’ve never used Tar-X or Iron-X as a clay lube, I really like the Dodo Juice Ferro lube which is basically the same thing marketed as a clay lube that gets rid of iron deposits similarly to Iron-X.

Dodo Juice Supernatural Ferro Lube 500 ml

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

11. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Great post Mike.

One of the most important things every detailer must learn is the ability to properly diagnosis the and any if all issues and then make the right decision as to whether to take the job or politely turn it down and as I like to say,

Let someone else have the blessing

That and this from famous Country Music Philosopher, (may he rest in peace), Kenny Rogers,

You've got to know when to hold 'em
    Know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away
    And know when to run…

Thanks for sharing this experience.

13. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whenever someone treats me with the honesty you exhibited I would bring them more work in the future if the need arose.

Mike P. quoted the famous Kenny Rogers and I'll add another favorite quote of mine, "The better part of valor is discretion" compliments of William Shakespeare.

15. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast