autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic coating

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating

Greetings auto enthusiasts. I want to install a ceramic coating. However, my Ram and my wife's Durango live outside 24 7 365. Would installing a ceramic coating be safe in the open? If not, please suggest a product that will provide the best shine. I have used SiO2 products.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating

If you work in the shade, and work small sections, you will be fine. Gyeon has a mobile detailer friendly coating for Pros, but i think the Gyron One would fit the bill. Mike demonstrated it in the Denver Road show last year that I attended. Very user friendly.

Post Thanks / Like

One issue is a car that is always outside is more prone to water spots and other contaminants. When you coat a car you don’t want to spot repair every little issue you find as that will require coating again.
    IMO it’s easier to just wax or seal a car like that so every time you see a problem you can repair and it’s easy to protect again.
    If you plan on doing weekly washes and can stay away from sprinklers and trees that have sap, then a coating might work fine.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

My driveway is clear of trees. The biggest issue I deal with is dust. I wash my vehicles in the morning and apply usually some SiO2 product. The next morning a layer of dust is present.

Post Thanks / Like

Outside is no problem. Key to avoiding water spots with the newer coatings is to avoid sprinklers or any type of municipal water spray without drying. Normal rain water won't be much of an issue unless you have a tendency to leave it dry in the sun.

There are a number of good options but I'll keep it simple and tell you Cquartz UK 3.0 with Cquartz Gliss v2 over top of it. It's my go-to coating system for customers and it lives on my Son's car that sits outside and on mine which is garaged most of the time. You won't have any issues. My additional tip is to use their Essence polish. It's a base-coat SiO2 layer / primer, plus it has some fillers that get sealed in thus why they call it a gloss enhancer. It's very good. It also helps with removal of the coating, although UK is pretty darn simple and easy to use.

Hope that helps.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

6. Likes Bruno Soares, DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Outside is no problem. Key to avoiding water spots with the newer coatings is to avoid sprinklers or any type of municipal water spray without drying. Normal rain water won't be much of an issue unless you have a tendency to leave it dry in the sun.

There are a number of good options but I'll keep it simple and tell you Cquartz UK 3.0 with Cquartz Gliss v2 over top of it. It's my go-to coating system for customers and it lives on my Son's car that sits outside and on mine which is garaged most of the time. You won't have any issues. My additional tip is to use their Essence polish. It's a base-coat SiO2 layer / primer, plus it has some fillers that get sealed in thus why they call it a gloss enhancer. It's very good. It also helps with removal of the coating, although UK is pretty darn simple and easy to use.

Hope that helps.
    Excellent information Sir. Thank you. I will seek this product

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the main concern is water spots from getting wet too soon. The other issue is moisture within that 24 hours time frame. I don't mean water spots but rather the morning dew. I have experienced this with Gyeon CanCoat where the it was applied outside but the morning dew degraded its overall performance. Saw it right away during the first wash when the water behavior did not look right.

Keep in mind that it if you go with the Cquartz/Gliss combination that it takes a minimum of 4 hours before Gliss can be applied.

It would be ideal if you could find some sort of garage where you can apply a coating. If you can not then you can polish on one day and you will gave to wash (waterless wash) the following day and then apply the coating early to give the coating some time to cure. Most coatings are recommended to stay dry for 24 hours.

Gloss Coat can get wet 1 hour after application but it is recommended to be topped with Opti Seal to protect it 1 hour after the application of gloss coat. The only thing about Gloss Coat is that it is not the best overall performer compared to other coating. The upside is its ease of use.

9. Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently had to deal with a similar issue! I coated of vacation house car, no garage, outdoors all the time etc... I used Gtechniq's Crystal Serum Light and EXO products... Prepped the car the day before, started the coating process at ,5am and was done around 9am mainly to avoid the intense Florida heat. The next morning I woke up to that dreaded dew @theguz just mentioned! Not sure if it was the products or the fact it had been applied 20 or so hours already but luckily enough it had no negative impact so far on the coating. I have no idea how it will hold up over time though. Back home one of our cars is coated with Xpel's Fusion, it is mostly parked outdoors too and still looks great 18 months or so after application.

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen, thank you for chiming in. Morning dew is possible every morning in the Northwest. I am realizing I should install a ceramic coating when I take leave. I am looking forward to ordering a ceramic coating kit. Maybe a garage can be found that I could use. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen, a question. If I begin as dawn is breaking, would starting from the roof down in small sections be the proper means of execution?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast