autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber cutting pads

Hey everyone.

I've got a pretty beat up 2011 Cadillac CTSin black coming my way for a correction. While I'm not looking to get the paint perfect, I want to give it the best I can. I've got an 8mm Maxshine polisher. Was looking at picking up some of the Griot's Fast Correcting Compound and some microfiber pads for the initial pass. I'm between the Meguiar's cutting pads and the Buff and Shine Uro-fiber pads.

Reasons for or against either? OR other suggestions?

Thanks,
    CG

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber cutting pads

That black is hard. Lake Country Microfibers cut as well as Meguiars, but hold up better. I would use those. Sonax Cutmax or CutMax plus, is in order.

Post Thanks / Like

On a 8mm polisher, I’ve always had the best results and therefore would recommend the Megs Microfiber pads paired with Megs D300 Microfiber Cutting Compound. I personally think it does better than using FCC with microfiber pads. I’ve never used the Buff & Shine pads so I can’t speak on them.. On my 21mm DA polisher I like using the Lake Country microfiber pads.

Good luck and serve that Cadillac justice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    That black is hard. Lake Country Microfibers cut as well as Meguiars, but hold up better. I would use those. Sonax Cutmax or CutMax plus, is in order.
    Thanks for the suggestion! How well does Cutmax finish down? I can do two-steps if really need be, but it is a daily so it will continue to get abused.

And would you suggest the cutting pads or the one-step

Post Thanks / Like

iF YOU ARE DOING A 1 Step, use the hybrid Oreo pads, and BlackFire One step, or The Last Cut compounding glaze(Not sold here) that is my go to 1 step with a Uro Tec Blueberry pad on the Beast

Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber cutting pads

Just clarify to your customer that it’s not going to be perfect and that defects will still remain.

3D One works well as a one step. It’s correction is pad dependent. I would get this and do a test spot with a polishing pad and top with your choice of protection.

If your intent is to just use one product that leaves protection then stick with AIO.

Mike P just spoke about production detailing on one of the recent live videos. He has a write up or two on here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    On a 8mm polisher, I’ve always had the best results and therefore would recommend the Megs Microfiber pads paired with Megs D300 Microfiber Cutting Compound. I personally think it does better than using FCC with microfiber pads. I’ve never used the Buff & Shine pads so I can’t speak on them.. On my 21mm DA polisher I like using the Lake Country microfiber pads.

Good luck and serve that Cadillac justice.
    When I spoke with Meguiars Mike P. at Detail Fest (several years ago), for tough areas he recommended 1 drop of D300 & 2 drops of M105. My son had a Civic with pewter colored paint that would not correct with any foam combination. The Meg MF's with D300 + M105 combo not only corrected it, but it finished so well no more polishing was needed.

That being said, I recently tried Rupes yellow wool and their Keramik Gloss Fine polish, and was amazed at how quickly it removed defects, how large an area I could work, and did it in only 8 section passes. The wool pads produced much less heat that the microfiber pads, which probably allowed the larger work area. They cleaned easily with a pad brush, and I was off to the next section.
    With a MF pad I would have polished a 2' x 2' section, cleaned the pad, then swapped to a 2nd pad for the next section, so the first pad one could cool off. Lots of extra time vs. the wool pads.

Post Thanks / Like

The car actually belongs to my dad. I'm going over there tonight and I'll grab some pictures to capture the level of damage I'm dealing with. I think I'm ultimately going to end up two-stepping the car since what it will likely take to remove the defects in a noticeable fashion is not likely to also finish down well. I've got some BF One-Step and a some LC foam pads, but I'm not optimistic that will make a considerable difference. The foam and One-Step will probably be my second pass to save me some time on polishing and applying whatever LSP.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by cgdalton View Post

Was looking at picking up some of the Griot's Fast Correcting Compound

I was completely impressed with the Griot's microfiber cutting pads and the Griot's Fast Correction Cream as demonstrated in this video we shot this last Tuesday.

The portion where I used the Griot's microfiber pads kicks in around the 56:00 minute mark

I show,

Placing the pad on the backing plate
    Priming the pad
    Using the pad
    Results

In this video I also do a brief explanation of the Griot's BOSS system including explaining their abrasive technology.

10. Likes The Guz liked this post