autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Really Stubborn Bug Guts

I admit I haven’t been diligent about keeping my truck clean recently. I am trying to whip it back into shape, but I have a section in the front that has been pelted with love bugs and I just can’t seem to get them off. I don’t have much trouble getting them off the painted metal, but there is a piece of painted plastic above the bumper that just doesn’t want to let them go. I’ve tried many of the popular products that work fine on fresh bugs and don’t strip the protectant, but they don’t make a dent on these aged remnants. Before I resort to sanding and repainting this section of my truck, is there an aggressive, effective product that actually works on old stubborn bug guts? Obviously I’m not concerned about stripping wax or sealant. I just want the bugs gone. Does a miracle product exist?
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Really Stubborn Bug Guts

Have you tried WD40Really Stubborn Bug Guts

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Have you tried WD40Really Stubborn Bug Guts

No, I have not tried that. I have tried tar remover, which seemed to help a little, but didn’t get all of it. I will give WD40 a shot. Thanks!
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clm65 View Post
    No, I have not tried that. I have tried tar remover, which seemed to help a little, but didn’t get all of it. I will give WD40 a shot. Thanks!
    Let it dwell and do its thing. Its 100% safe, just clean it off with some RW or WW afterwardsReally Stubborn Bug GutsReally Stubborn Bug Guts

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

It is very possible they are etched into the paint. I have that on my black Frontier, from before I joined this forum. They are very smooth, after being polished several times, but they are still there.

When I have a car covered in love bugs I try to soak them off first. Take several thin microfiber towels and dampen them in the solution in the wash bucket (works with rinseless or regular car wash soap). Then place the towels over the 'buggy' area for 5-10 minutes (I usually take this time to wash the wheels). When I come back most of the bugs will wipe off, and I have not removed the protection (but it is a good idea to add more anyway). For ones that remain, I add a fresh, damp towel to the area and let it sit again.

This works with any towels, but thinner towels usually 'stick' better to non-horizontal surfaces.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    It is very possible they are etched into the paint. I have that on my black Frontier, from before I joined this forum. They are very smooth, after being polished several times, but they are still there.

When I have a car covered in love bugs I try to soak them off first. Take several thin microfiber towels and dampen them in the solution in the wash bucket (works with rinseless or regular car wash soap). Then place the towels over the 'buggy' area for 5-10 minutes (I usually take this time to wash the wheels). When I come back most of the bugs will wipe off, and I have not removed the protection (but it is a good idea to add more anyway). For ones that remain, I add a fresh, damp towel to the area and let it sit again.

This works with any towels, but thinner towels usually 'stick' better to non-horizontal surfaces.

ETCHED! That is exactly what i have. I used jeweling wax and thought i removed it, but this morning it is still there. How do i remove it?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have the same question. I was wondering if using Jeweling wax with a polisher is enough to get the etched in bug guts off?

Post Thanks / Like

I got caught with love bugs last fall. Bugs were on the leading edge of the hood, plastic headlights and plastic grill. Tried Citrol 266, Prep-All solvent, Poor Boys bug squash, Tar-x and a bunch of other product that I can't remember. Most came off but a few stubborn one's were left. The Porter cable, a Lake Country CCS white pad and some Sonax 04-06 made short work of the remnants and etching. The etching hasn't come back.

I'll never travel through Northern Florida in September or May again. If I can help it.
    Mythos Black C7.5 S6 (sold) / 2022 Camry SE (Ice Edge)

Post Thanks / Like

I live in that area and religiously pluck them from my paint immediately when I get home. It’s tough enough doing that so I can’t imagine what it’s like if I had to keep them on for a while. You’d definitely need to polish out the etchings.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason they won't come off is because they've dried on. Similar to the way that wax dries onto your paint surface. My suggestion is like some of the others above, soak a microfiber towel with rinseless or waterless wash solution, and place over the bugs for a bit. Let them re-hydrate. Then, I would take a clay glove or something and go to town if they won't wipe off. Be prepared to polish after however.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast