autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tungsten ceramic coating

Hey guys. I’m buying a new Jeep. I usually do all my own detailing but a detail shop in the dealership is trying to sell me on tungsten ceramic coating. I can’t find any reviews online. Anyone have any experience. The detail shop in the dealership is an independent shop. It’s a small family run jeep dealer. They have been awesome to deal with.

thanks!
    jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tungsten ceramic coating

Never heard of it. But these days almost anyone has a ceramic coating. I personally would stick to a reputable name brand coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I use the wolfgang sealant and I top it off with their wax and I seem to be pretty good for about six months out of the year. I live in northeastern pa so we get rough weather. I wash weekly and detail with the spray sealant weekly. I just never heard of the brand they use and I just don’t know if I’ll get my money worth.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a pretty good sign it would be a gamble...at best.

Getting a new car is a great opportunity to teach yourself something new. If you really want to coat your Jeep, do it yourself. Maybe start with CanCoat or CQuartz Lite and then move up to a more durable coating from a reputable brand with plenty of reviews and information.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Likes Bearcats98 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm normally a pro-coating guy but here's the thing, with a Jeep, assuming that you might actually go mudding and the like, you're going to have a lot more physical abrasion than other cars. A coating in this case won't do too much for you. Mud is basically dirt and water, so if you're mudding then you're kind of dirt blasting your paint. Even a coating won't last you a long time, basically cut down the durability by about half if not more depending on how often you go mudding.

I would suggest you stick with what you are already doing. It's a lot easier to just re-apply a coat of sealant after a wash of a muddy jeep than re-applying a coating every year or less. I'm pro-coating but that's because to me, if it won't last at least the two year mark or over, I don't see the point.

Now if you're just driving it as normal, by all means coat it. The others have made good suggestions over what coatings to use, use a reputable one.

A free detailing in my opinion is worse than no detailing. I'd rather my car be dirty than let a dealership touch it, period. The shop maybe independent but if the dealership is paying them, I can guarantee it won't be great rates.

A professional grade coating might do you well but you're looking between 1000 to 3000 depending on the product used. The choice is yours. However if it was my jeep and I was driving it as a daily driver, then I would go ahead and look at CQuartz UK. Best consumer level ceramic coating I've used so far.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    I'm normally a pro-coating guy but here's the thing, with a Jeep, assuming that you might actually go mudding and the like, you're going to have a lot more physical abrasion than other cars. A coating in this case won't do too much for you. Mud is basically dirt and water, so if you're mudding then you're kind of dirt blasting your paint. Even a coating won't last you a long time, basically cut down the durability by about half if not more depending on how often you go mudding.

I would suggest you stick with what you are already doing. It's a lot easier to just re-apply a coat of sealant after a wash of a muddy jeep than re-applying a coating every year or less. I'm pro-coating but that's because to me, if it won't last at least the two year mark or over, I don't see the point.

Now if you're just driving it as normal, by all means coat it. The others have made good suggestions over what coatings to use, use a reputable one.

A free detailing in my opinion is worse than no detailing. I'd rather my car be dirty than let a dealership touch it, period. The shop maybe independent but if the dealership is paying them, I can guarantee it won't be great rates.

A professional grade coating might do you well but you're looking between 1000 to 3000 depending on the product used. The choice is yours. However if it was my jeep and I was driving it as a daily driver, then I would go ahead and look at CQuartz UK. Best consumer level ceramic coating I've used so far.

Guys,

Thanks so much for the responses. I'm going to read up on the CQuartz UK tonight.

Another question. Is there a better option or should i say a better product to be using that the nano mitt and wolfgang polish followed by the sealant and a layer or 2 of fusion wax without moving up to a try ceramic coating. I realize I am just sealing right now. are those spray or other types of ceramic coating you are starting to see now anygord or just money grabs. I guess all I'm saying is if I didn't feel confident enough to move up to a true ceramic coating is there a better option for greater durability than what i'm using now.

I have used wolfgang for 12 years i would say? before that all pinnacle. actually since 2000 I would say.

Thanks!
    jim

Post Thanks / Like

I found a “tungsten cramic” coating in the googles by Ardex labs. 5 coats will give you 15 years.... $149.99 for 50ml..... or $10 dollars per year....Tungsten ceramic coatingTungsten ceramic coatingTungsten ceramic coating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

ya that's the one. i know when i found that I came right here to post my question about it. crazy right? and i don't know mach about coatings yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    Guys,

Thanks so much for the responses. I'm going to read up on the CQuartz UK tonight.

Another question. Is there a better option or should i say a better product to be using that the nano mitt and wolfgang polish followed by the sealant and a layer or 2 of fusion wax without moving up to a try ceramic coating. I realize I am just sealing right now. are those spray or other types of ceramic coating you are starting to see now anygord or just money grabs. I guess all I'm saying is if I didn't feel confident enough to move up to a true ceramic coating is there a better option for greater durability than what i'm using now.

I have used wolfgang for 12 years i would say? before that all pinnacle. actually since 2000 I would say.

Thanks!
    jim
    If you are not ready for a full coating like CQuartz UK (which I also highly recommend) but would like something to be a bit more durable, I would go for what the guys around her nickname "Lite" coatings. Gyeon CanCoat and Carpro's CQuartz Lite seem to slot in the middle between sealants and the long-life coatings. Most reputable sealants will all get you 6-ish months, maybe more depending on the toppers used and how often they are applied. Spray "coatings" are all over the place depending on which one you use, but most seem to be comparable to sealants.

CanCoat, while advertised to only last 6-months, has easily lasted a year for several people here as long as you keep it clean. I'm personally at the 10-month point and it's still going strong. CQuartz Lite is too new to have a true endurance test from anyone, but seems to get positive results. Another nice thing about the products like CanCoat is they are less expensive and you get multiple applications from one bottle.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Google this article for some light Wednesday morning reading. SiO2@TiO2 Coating: Synthesis, Physical Characterization and Photocatalytic Evaluation A mixture used for glass coating n air purification
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast