autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand New Car, want a ceramic coating on it (I think). Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Many vehicles today commonly have plastic front wheel wells, but often not so in back. Thoroughly cleaning such metal wheel wells and coating with something like 3M Rubberized Undercoating can help prevent rust.
    There's many vehicles I've done this to, and it helps.
    I'd strongly recommend not using a rubberized undercoating product. As they deteriorate, they trap water against the metal. There are better products that are oil based.

Mike Phillips

Re: Brand New Car, want a ceramic coating on it (I think). Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by planestrainsandcars View Post

What do you think about meguiars ultimate polish (not compound, polish)? Less cut than UC, available everywhere for $10. Might even follow up with an even finer glaze for that beauty. Then coat. Decent idea?
    Ultimate Polish is a very good "fine cut" polish. After using this you would not or should not need another polishing step. After this you could go straight to wax or sealant or chemically strip the paint and install a coating.

Quote Originally Posted by planestrainsandcars View Post

That WG ceramic spray looks enticing. Might be exactly what I'm looking for.

Worth it to wax on top of that? Or just a total waste?
    It's easy to use, works great but remember - after any machine polishing step you MUST use a panel wipe to chemically strip the paint before installing a coating.

Don't put waxes or sealants over coatings - you lose the features of the coating and gain the features of the wax or sealant and they are LESS than the features of the coating. It's working backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

This would be a good and easy way to see if you dig the 'coating lifestyle'
    I like that, the coating lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post

The cone flare shape on Rupes foam pad gives me more precision around edges.
    I too like the RUPES foam pads for their tapered edge design. Sad to say they are going to discontinue them.

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post

I suspect you misunderstand what ceramic coating does. It will _not_ protect from stone chips or rust. If you want to protect against stone chips, you'd need protective film, not a coating.

Also, ceramic coating will mar and scratch just like paint. It will also require washing and care. Mainly, ceramic coating remains hydrophobic for a longer period of time.

However, you are also locking in any imperfections on the paint.
    Agree. All great and accurate points.

3. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123