autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand New Car, want a ceramic coating on it (I think). Which one?

Lol Ok Let's Clarify the mileage, it's got 6500 miles. Total. First owner wanted a bigger car, traded it in. I basically got the "drove it off the lot" discount.

I get the idea that a real ceramic coating just isn't going to be for me. In this area within a 100 mile radius, no one even washes their car. If they do, it's 100% guarantee through a carwash scratch machine. But screw everyone else, I want my car to look fantastic. Still, realistically, I plan to wash and reseal/wax every fall and spring. I know that's not much, but I feel like it's quite a realistic routine for me.

So looks like it's a good idea to

- strip wash, clay (just a one-time clay because it's new, been sitting around the dealership for a couple years, don't plan to clay every time)
    - polish with a Griot's G9 (no compound needed for this new of a Kia, right? just polish)
    - seal, by hand or with G9

Pretty easy routine. I like it.

I still need to decide what product. You guys have made some good suggestions. My only experience so far is with chemical guys JetSeal (great, but doesn't last too too long, about 4-6 months in reality). I'm looking for something like that that's easy to work with, but more durable, and easy to touch up.

I'm hoping to make some modifications and aesthetic changes to the car as time goes on (new wheels, etc) to look a little nicer than your standard sedan, but for now, I need to get that paint protected and looking fantastic.

Our roads are terrible around here. Awful. Worse than country roads. The city is messed up. I literally leave to go to more rural areas and the roads get better. So rock chips are a real threat. Trying to cope with the fact that I will have to deal with that one way or another. Seems like everyone around here drives a pickup/jeep/etc, or just submisses into eventually having their car destroyed. Or both.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not give something like WG ceramic spray coating a try, decent durability and not over the top expensive or Collinite super double coat # 476 (apply every 6 months) or # 845( used this on myF150 every 6 months in NE PA , held up nice.
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That WG ceramic spray looks enticing. Might be exactly what I'm looking for. Worth it to wax on top of that? Or just a total waste?

Post Thanks / Like

If you are planning to do the car every 6 months (exactly what I do), then a clay in the spring followed by a polish and hit it with 845 or 476s like Mark suggested above is about as simple and long-lasting as it gets for a non-ceramic product.

In the fall, I just give it a good wash and slap another coat on for the winter.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do go with ceramic then upkeep is typically an SiO2 silica spray (WG recommends every 6 month with their spray, I typically do every 3 months depending on driving conditions. )
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Check into Gyeon CanCoat or Cquartz Lite. Both are good entry level coatings.
    This would be a good and easy way to see if you dig the 'coating lifestyle' Brand New Car, want a ceramic coating on it (I think).  Which one?

8. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do live in Canada and CQuartz UK held up quite well on my car with all the salt slush and what not. In the winter time, I don't really bother doing too much washes, I just power wash it every week, more for the undercarriage than anything else and just to spray all the salt off. Maybe once a month I'll do an actual wash or so. Optimum Glosscoat didn't live through wintertime, but CQuartz UK definitely did. I want my car to look good but I don't want to re-do my car every 6 months or so, I want to re-do it once every two years lol. I'm lazy but it's also to preserve clearcoat. I want to polish as little as possible to save the maximum amount of clear.

To get down to the nitty gritty of it as well, I like a coating with a measurable thickness. Basically, it means that when I do polish, the amount of clear I cut out is lessened because I have the 2 microns of coating (This is brand dependant though) and then I might end up removing only one micron of clear as I am only using a fine polish to do the job, for a total of roughly 3 microns being removed. This to me is a better way to do things than to just re-doing the car. Although I could be misunderstanding what you mean by re-doing the car? I know that when I re-seal a car, I at least use a paint cleanser first so it not be an abrasive product really, meaning I may not be removing any clear at all.

That being said, I do think that coatings are not for everyone. It is a significant investment to get into coatings. But also some people just don't like it, some people like applying something to their cars every few washes or so. I'd actually suggest CanCoat over CQuartz Lite just because CanCoat is easier to use I find. I like the aerosol bottle to be honest.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m OCD. I like gloss all the time. I have been a weekly washer for years, and used wax, polymer sealants, SiO2 based sealants and toppers. Now I’m turned on by ceramic coatings. During winter as long as ambient temp is above 35° I’ll wear ice fishing gloves and wash. I’m also a fan of Xpel or any PPF. My last car only had high impact areas wrapped and current car is no compromise fully wrapped.

Generically speaking one spray product will feel slick but doesn’t bead water as well or another feels grabby but beads like crazy. There’s always something disappointing among spray application, water based products. Until I applied a quality coating I didn’t realize how pleasurable it is to put a wash mitt on my car over any sealant I’ve tried. Hydrophobic, slickness and durability are up a big level.

In my limited experience in coatings (Gtechniq Halo, Gtechniq C5 and soon Nanolex SiShield) it was not difficult to apply vs. a sealant. Its performance, however, after multiple contact washes is the proverbial I can eat a cake and have it too.

I like Griots DA, have two of them and I like their Boss correcting and fast correcting creams. It cuts and finishes well with a Rupes yellow foam pad and if I need more cut I put on a Rupes medium wool pad. The cone flare shape on Rupes foam pad gives me more precision around edges.

Good luck and congrats on the new ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by planestrainsandcars View Post
    I just want my paint to look as good as possible while being protected as fiercly as possible (from rust, stone chips, etc, which happen every day here!).
    I suspect you misunderstand what ceramic coating does. It will _not_ protect from stone chips or rust. If you want to protect against stone chips, you'd need protective film, not a coating.

Also, ceramic coating will mar and scratch just like paint. It will also require washing and care. Mainly, ceramic coating remains hydrophobic for a longer period of time.

However, you are also locking in any imperfections on the paint.

12. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some good points have been brought up by other members.

Vehicle care varies dependent upon what part of the country one lives in. For those who experience harsh winters, vehicle care goes beyond just the exterior paint.

Salts take their toll on areas not initially thought of, door jambs and rocker panels, under hood, wheel wells and undercarriage. Make sure you address such areas with protectants. Such can be as simple as the use of a WOWA product like Optimum Opti-Seal or Ultima Paint Guard Plus.

And as for interior, salt really does horrid damage to carpeting. Good Floor Mats are wise to have, and even a brush handy so that you can get some of the snow and such off of shoes-boots while entering.

Many vehicles today commonly have plastic front wheel wells, but often not so in back. Thoroughly cleaning such metal wheel wells and coating with something like 3M Rubberized Undercoating can help prevent rust.
    There's many vehicles I've done this to, and it helps.

I'd commonly do a wheels off detail to such areas prior to winter weather coming.

Snow Brushes, there are many nice ones today that have very soft bristles, extendable handles and such. They aren't that expensive to have a nice one on hand. Hard bristled cheapo brushes are damaging to surfaces.

The coin op spray washes, they help, but can be problematic for an owner when temps drop below freezing, many then close.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast