autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Best synthetic DA Clay 6" pad?

Hey guys,

Any opinions on what would be the best synthetic clay 6" pad to use with DA?

It seems that Griot's would be the best one from a reputable company, but is it the way to go or is it overpriced ($50)? Are there any others that are better at this price point?

Have anyone tried those cheap ones that are around $10 and had good luck?

Edit: mmh I had often seen nanoskin small rectangular clay pad recommended here and just realized they have a disc/pad version:

Nanoskin Autoscrub Fine Foam Pad

$55, would this be the way to go?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best synthetic DA Clay 6" pad?

I have the nanoskin disc but never used it on the DA, I have the hand pad attachment for it. It might be fine but turning that rubbery thing on a DA just scares me, seems like it would be too aggressive.
    Bruno Soares

3. Thanks vwite thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwite View Post
    Hey guys,

Any opinions on what would be the best synthetic clay 6" pad to use with DA?

It seems that Griot's would be the best one from a reputable company, but is it the way to go or is it overpriced ($50)? Are there any others that are better at this price point?

Have anyone tried those cheap ones that are around $10 and had good luck?

Edit: mmh I had often seen nanoskin small rectangular clay pad recommended here and just realized they have a disc/pad version:

Nanoskin Autoscrub Fine Foam Pad

$55, would this be the way to go?
    I use the Sonax pad. It works pretty good and comes with the hand attachment if needed. I also use a small 7" Nanoskin towel for tight spaces.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Autogeekonline mobile app

5. Thanks vwite thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I have the nanoskin disc but never used it on the DA, I have the hand pad attachment for it. It might be fine but turning that rubbery thing on a DA just scares me, seems like it would be too aggressive.
    Thanks! Do you notice any improvement over regular clay bar? I may as well just keep using clay bar as I've never had issues, the worst risk is marring a little the paint but I always follow clay with a light polish, but with these discs I've seen reviews where the rubbery material melts into the paint and it's very hard to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Abic View Post
    I use the Sonax pad. It works pretty good and comes with the hand attachment if needed. I also use a small 7" Nanoskin towel for tight spaces.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Does it work well enough? This guy on youtube made a comparison and the "cheap pad" removed a lot more bonded iron contaminant vs the sonax:

YouTube link

but maybe the sonax is safer but if you do more passes and it would remove everything without marring while the cheap one removes faster with marring?

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree with Bruno about machine spinning these discs on my paint.

I have seen enough slight marring from clay, and from synthetic substitutes to be very wary of ramping that up x1000.

If you have tough above-surface bonded contaminates, use a real clay bar.

If you keep your paint well-maintained throughout the year, a synthetic is the way to go.

This is just my opinion.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Thanks vwite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, a real clay bar is actually better at picking everything up but the pad is much faster and if you drop you just rinse it and get back at it. For a car that has little contaminants (checked via baggie test) the pad is great. If it was heavy I’d use a medium grade clay.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Yeah, a real clay bar is actually better at picking everything up but the pad is much faster and if you drop you just rinse it and get back at it. For a car that has little contaminants (checked via baggie test) the pad is great. If it was heavy I’d use a medium grade clay.
    It’s been awhile since I bought any clay.
    Which one do you like??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle View Post
    It’s been awhile since I bought any clay.
    Which one do you like??
    Been a while for me too
    Any of the ones sold on Autogeek will be fine.
    Bruno Soares

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I got one bar left of the Meguiars Kit (consumer version) so it is not aggressive at all compared to others from the pro-line that are "medium" and "agressive" but my car is 2018 and pretty well mantained.

Since I just clay around once a year, I think I'll keep using my Meguiars clay bar, I never really drop it anyway and I can make it to be about the same size of the small rectangular nanoskin synthetic one so I don't think I would save much time spending extra money on the synthetic one for now. Maybe in a couple years when I run out of the meguiars one, I'll try a synthetic one and will check again if there are newer better options in the market for around $10-$20 ideally.

Only thing I'll be adding this year regarding decontamination is spraying Ultimate All Wheel cleaner all over the car as cleaner/iron remover, let it dwell, rinse, and then, follow with the meg's clay bar using ONR (QD dilution ratio) as clay lube.

Then I think this year I'm gonna try the hybrid polish&wax, hyrbid ceramic coating, and hybrid ceramic wet wax from Hybrid Solutions (Turtle Wax). It seems they have really stepped up their game and all reviews, videos and pictures I've seen look absolutely amazing, especially on red bright cars like mine.

13. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post