autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I use an SiO2 product for maintenance?

I have my Prius professionally detailed and sealant applied about once a year.
    It stays in a garage and since Covid-19 I only drive it to go for walks.
    For maintenance I have used Meguiar's quick spray wax and Chemical guys Ecosmart which to me work about the same.
    I gives a good shine but does not last long.
    When there is more dirt I use Optimum Wash and Wax mixed 1 oz to a gallon of water, I really like shine i get but again not long lasting.
    For really dirty areas I use a small amount of detergent and a MF rag, then go over it with Optimum.
    I have looked into SiO2 products and I am not sure if they would be of benefit to me.
    They seem to preferred for ceramic coating but not sure if they make sense to use over a sealant.
    Would it give me a slicker, glossier and longer lasting finish?
    There seems to be a ton of different products that take various levels of effort.
    Something like Echo2 seem pretty benign and easy to use, but is it going to be any better than Optimum wash and wax?

Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I use an SiO2 product for maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by PriusPrime View Post
    I have my Prius professionally detailed and sealant applied about once a year.
    It stays in a garage and since Covid-19 I only drive it to go for walks.
    For maintenance I have used Meguiar's quick spray wax and Chemical guys Ecosmart which to me work about the same.
    I gives a good shine but does not last long.
    When there is more dirt I use Optimum Wash and Wax mixed 1 oz to a gallon of water, I really like shine i get but again not long lasting.
    For really dirty areas I use a small amount of detergent and a MF rag, then go over it with Optimum.
    I have looked into SiO2 products and I am not sure if they would be of benefit to me.
    They seem to preferred for ceramic coating but not sure if they make sense to use over a sealant.
    Would it give me a slicker, glossier and longer lasting finish?
    There seems to be a ton of different products that take various levels of effort.
    Something like Echo2 seem pretty benign and easy to use, but is it going to be any better than Optimum wash and wax?

Thanks for any advice.
    Ech2O will only leave shine for a few days, probably a little longer than OWW, but similar timeframe (I haven’t used OWW but understand what it is). If you use a true SiO2 Spray Sealant, it will definitely last longer (weeks to months depending). They may not match slickness with Meguiar’s (or maybe it will? Gloss might be different and subjective. Self cleaning will be better so car might stay cleaner looking. Longevity depends on what you get, what sealant it is going on, etc. My suggestion would be to first decide if you think it’s worth it to try a ceramic spray, then if so, provide more info as to what is already on the paint, how often do you wash, any price point, does the car go out in all weather when quarantine is over, etc. and members can maybe point you to suggestions.

3. Likes FM737 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Ech2O will only leave shine for a few days, probably a little longer than OWW, but similar timeframe (I haven’t used OWW but understand what it is). If you use a true SiO2 Spray Sealant, it will definitely last longer (weeks to months depending). They may not match slickness with Meguiar’s (or maybe it will? Gloss might be different and subjective. Self cleaning will be better so car might stay cleaner looking. Longevity depends on what you get, what sealant it is going on, etc. My suggestion would be to first decide if you think it’s worth it to try a ceramic spray, then if so, provide more info as to what is already on the paint, how often do you wash, any price point, does the car go out in all weather when quarantine is over, etc. and members can maybe point you to suggestions.
    I am not sure what exactly my detailer put on the last time but I am sure it is a sealant.
    It is time to have it done again so maybe I should ask him about other options but would not want to spend more than a few hundred on it, could go higher if I was convinced it was worth it.
    I wash it maybe once a month. Mostly I keep it clean with the products I already mentioned.
    Before Covid it sat in the parking lot at work all day during the week.
    Honestly I don't see myself going back into the office ever again as I am at high risk and can do my work from home.
    Also maybe retiring in the next year. So it sits in the garage and every other day it is outside for a few hours while I walk.
    Amazing how many bird droppings I get in that short time.
    I guess what I am after is does it makes any sense to use an SiO2 spray occasionally on top of a sealant to get longer lasting protection.
    Don't see myself spending $1K on a ceramic coating job.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess what I am after is does it makes any sense to use an SiO2 spray occasionally on top of a sealant to get longer lasting protection.
    In my opinion, yes. I think it’s at least worth trying a bottle to see if you like the idea. And the main reason I would in your situation is for the self cleaning and easier manual cleaning attributes it should add, including easier removal of bird bombs, hopefully. Depending what you get, it may not have full longevity on top of a sealant (versus bare paint) but it’s definitely going to last for a bit, help protect, and make your washes easier.

Just a few affordable options that I think can do pretty well on top of an existing, unknown sealant:
    1) BF SiO2 Spray Sealant (or Pinnacle Crystal SiO2 Spray or Wolfgang SiO2 Spray)... all boast they can be used on sealants, bare surface not required even if it would aid performance I'm sure. They are on sale often on this forum being they are house brand.
    2) Griots Garage 3-in-1
    3) Jescar Bead-It

There’s plenty more out there, but the choices above seem like good for what you want at a reasonable price.

On a side note, I recommend getting a QD or waterless wash solution and remove bird bombs as soon as you can after your walks. Or maybe you already do this.

6. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with acuRAS82's recommendations. I had a couple other ideas to share:

1) I would talk to the professional that detailed your car and find out what kind of sealant they used. If it is a liquid spray sealant, you could simply reapply that same exact sealant or even use it as a drying aid for your rinseless washes.

2) If you are going to apply an SiO2 sealant or a regular polymer sealant, I would suggest not washing your car with Ecosmart (a waterless wash) or ONRWW, as both of these solutions contain waxes. Since wax protects paint, it may interfere with the sealant bonding to the paint or the existing sealant. I would use a wash with no waxes such as regular ONR (no wax) or Mckees 37 N-914. You could resume using ONRWW for any wash after the sealant has been applied.

3) A great reasonably priced way to get into your first ceramic spray would be to check out the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions line. They offer several ceramic-infused products that "play well" together. In addition to the SiO2 sealant, they also have an SiO2 detailer, which could be used for your bird bombs or other touch up cleanings between washes.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, yes. I think it’s at least worth trying a bottle to see if you like the idea. And the main reason I would in your situation is for the self cleaning and easier manual cleaning attributes it should add, including easier removal of bird bombs, hopefully. Depending what you get, it may not have full longevity on top of a sealant (versus bare paint) but it’s definitely going to last for a bit, help protect, and make your washes easier.

Just a few affordable options that I think can do pretty well on top of an existing, unknown sealant:
    1) BF SiO2 Spray Sealant (or Pinnacle Crystal SiO2 Spray or Wolfgang SiO2 Spray)... all boast they can be used on sealants, bare surface not required even if it would aid performance I'm sure. They are on sale often on this forum being they are house brand.
    2) Griots Garage 3-in-1
    3) Jescar Bead-It

There’s plenty more out there, but the choices above seem like good for what you want at a reasonable price.

On a side note, I recommend getting a QD or waterless wash solution and remove bird bombs as soon as you can after your walks. Or maybe you already do this.
    Thanks for the tips.
    Regarding bird bombs, maybe I am waiting too long but find that QD does not take them off without a lot of rubbing.
    What I find does work is really hot water and a waffle rag.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips.
    Regarding bird bombs, maybe I am waiting too long but find that QD does not take them off without a lot of rubbing.
    What I find does work is really hot water and a waffle rag.
    If the bombs sit in the sun for time, they will be harder to remove... but bird bombs are the ultimate variable anyways as their destruction ability probably depends on what they eat, particularly how acidic. Whatever works, keep removing them in that way, as early as possible.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I ended up going with Turtle Wax 53410 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wet Wax. It seemed low risk and low price and had good reviews.
    I started out doing the hood and I am very happy with the results. I would say it never looked better.
    I did the plastic bag test and it is definitely smoother where I applied the ceramic wet wax.
    It said to use two sprays per panel, I ended doing about 4 sprays which in retrospect may have been more than I needed.
    It was a little bit sticky when buffing it off but not too bad.
    I am hoping to get a month or more of protection.
    Should I use an SiO2 product for maintenance?-img_0748-jpg

11. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    I ended up going with Turtle Wax 53410 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wet Wax. It seemed low risk and low price and had good reviews.
    I started out doing the hood and I am very happy with the results. I would say it never looked better.
    I did the plastic bag test and it is definitely smoother where I applied the ceramic wet wax.
    It said to use two sprays per panel, I ended doing about 4 sprays which in retrospect may have been more than I needed.
    It was a little bit sticky when buffing it off but not too bad.
    I am hoping to get a month or more of protection.
    Should I use an SiO2 product for maintenance?-img_0748-jpg
    Is Wet Wax the only protection, or did it go on top of an existing sealant/wax?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Wet Wax the only protection, or did it go on top of an existing sealant/wax?
    I had a full detail done about a year ago and sealant applied.
    It is overdue for another detail as the surface is rough and has some small scratches.
    The wet wax will hopefully keep things from getting worse until the next detail.

14. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast