autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

1964.5 Mustang Detailing Recommendations

Hi all - below is my Dad's 1964.5 Ford Mustang. Here is the back story, he bought it about 2001 from a gentleman in Chicago that had it for about 20 years. That gentleman indicated that prior to his buying it, it was repainted - so I am guessing sometime in the mid 1970s. The original color was Silversmoke Gray but was then painted this light blue. The car is very much the definition of a 20 footer; get close and you can see surface rust, thin spots in the paint, dents, door dings and other things a 40+ year old paint job that wasn't really cared for provides. 20 years ago, he was gung-ho on 100% restoring it, but that flame has died down and now he really just enjoys driving it to local places.

Here are some of my questions:

1) Is there any point in polishing, or even compounding this paint? I think it is really thin, at least it looks thin, and I am guessing there is no clear coat since it was painted so long ago. Would there be something that would work well with paint this old?

2) If polishing is out of the question, he would at least like to put a coat of wax (or other protectant) on it. Is there something that works better with a paint that is that old?

3) There is a reason the convertible top is down (and generally stays down) - the back window is coming out of the top, so washing the car with a hose is a generally rough task trying not to get the interior wet. Would their be a waterless or rinseless wash that would work well for this car? I was thinking it would be easier for him to at least wash the debris and gunk that storage and local trips bring.

I have a DA at my house - a Porter Cable 7424XP, and some things I have used on my car off the shelf - Blackfire One Step and Blackfire BlackIce Hybrid Wax - think any of those will work?

I really appreciate all your help. In the few months I have been lurking and with the few posts I have made, I have learned a lot about making your car look better.

1964.5 Mustang Detailing Recommendations-img_0617-jpg
    Looks good!

1964.5 Mustang Detailing Recommendations-img_0618-jpg
    Get closer and you can see some flaws - little marks and tiny surface rust spots

1964.5 Mustang Detailing Recommendations-img_0619-jpg
    You can sort of make me out in the picture......so, it is reflecting some

1964.5 Mustang Detailing Recommendations-img_0620-jpg
    This is what makes me think it is thin - that spot that looks like the paint has just flaked off on the corner

1964.5 Mustang Detailing Recommendations-img_0621-jpg

Mike Phillips

Re: 1964.5 Mustang Detailing Recommendations

Here's what you do,

1. Waterless wash unless already clean.
    2. Clay - probably needs this - do the baggie test to find out
    3. Hit it hard with the BF One Step and whatever foam cutting or foam polishing pads you have on speed 6
    4. Top with the BlackIce

Stand back and admire the results.

Cool car to restore the antique paint on.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1964.5 Mustang Detailing Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's what you do,

1. Waterless wash unless already clean.
    2. Clay - probably needs this - do the baggie test to find out
    3. Hit it hard with the BF One Step and whatever foam cutting or foam polishing pads you have on speed 6
    4. Top with the BlackIce

Stand back and admire the results.

Cool car to restore the antique paint on.

Thanks for the advice Mike - I'll post some pictures when we decide to tackle it.