autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I upgrade to a Flex 3401?

This is probably not what you want to hear but why not stay with Griots and step up to a 15mm throw to achieve more speed? My original GG6 purchased in 2006 lasted 11 years and it was replaced under its lifetime warranty. Now it’s on a 3” plate and I have a Boss G15 which is a nice step up. I pair it with Rupes 5” yellow foam pad or medium wool pad for more cutting power. I prefer the goldilocks 5" pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I upgrade to a Flex 3401?

Quote Originally Posted by royalkangaroo View Post
    Hi All, I’ve been using my GG6 for many years now, on my own vehicles, relatives, and occasionally to make a couple bucks. I’m not doing this as a business.

With that said, I’ve been more apprehensive (or lazy) lately because I feel like the GG6 just takes so long to do a car. I’ve stuck with the 2’ x 2’ selections, 4-6 passes, good form, etc. I also break down a vehicle into parts where I need to step down to a 3” backing plate with a 4” pad just to make sure I keep the machine rotating with enough correcting power. (Pillars, narrow bumper sections, mirrors). I’ve always had great results, just a lot of time involved.

Will a Flex 3401 save me on time? I’ve read plenty with folks saying they’ve saved anywhere from 20-60% of time when doing a car. Obviously there’s the drive aspect which directly results in more correcting power. Also it seems that the Flex can handle 6.5” pads adequately where I feel the GG6 does all it can with 5.5 flat pads. This obviously appeals to me with larger panels such as my truck.

Am I going to see a big improvement moving up to the Flex 3401 or should I just continue to grind it out with the GG6 for the 5 cars a year I deal with?
    Yes you should get one. It will be your “epiphany” moment.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Another aspect to consider is this:

Is the time savings worth the extra clear coat removed from the way more powerful Flex?

If your car is a lease, or you trade it in every 3-4 years, then I would say yes. If you plan on keeping it for 10+ years, then a few more hours to save a little clear would be my choice.

JMO.........
    Paul, I must respectfully disagree with you here. And my reasoning......

If it takes you longer to remove swirls with a GG6 and faster with the 3401, the same amount of clear has been removed. To achieve a swirl free finish, you must level the paint to a depth below the defects. Follow me?
    Jim

4. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    This is probably not what you want to hear but why not stay with Griots and step up to a 15mm throw to achieve more speed? My original GG6 purchased in 2006 lasted 11 years and it was replaced under its lifetime warranty. Now it’s on a 3” plate and I have a Boss G15 which is a nice step up. I pair it with Rupes 5” yellow foam pad or medium wool pad for more cutting power. I prefer the goldilocks 5" pad.

Thing is a 15mm will stall more. The GG6 is plenty powerful. The 15 is also powerful, until you hit a curve or a oddly shaped area. Flat panels, I agree the 15 will out muscle the 6. Problem is nobody makes a square vehicle anymore. The 3401 doesn’t care if it’s a curve, small panel, big panel, convex or concave.... it just keeps oscillating and rotating. Yea, it is more physical but that’s what makes if faster.
    Jim

6. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Thing is a 15mm will stall more. The GG6 is plenty powerful. The 15 is also powerful, until you hit a curve or a oddly shaped area. Flat panels, I agree the 15 will out muscle the 6. Problem is nobody makes a square vehicle anymore. The 3401 doesn’t care if it’s a curve, small panel, big panel, convex or concave.... it just keeps oscillating and rotating. Yea, it is more physical but that’s what makes if faster.
    I’ve never used a Flex 3401 so I’ll take your word for it. In terms of my experience with the Boss G15 vs GG6 there has never been an instance where I felt disappointed and a GG6 would do better. The improvement in vibration, ergonomics and maneuverability are so much higher I considered trading in a GG6 for a smaller G8. As a weekend enthusiast I can’t thank Griots enough for backing their products with a lifetime warranty.

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in,

In my detailing classes, something new I've added when I teach the "Production Detailing" session, is just how large of an area you can tackle at one time with the BEAST.

Normally I find the most neglected daily driver out of the cars I've obtained for the class, (the cars for all classes are different but we go through 10 cars in the roadshow classes and up to 15 in my 3-day classes, that's what you call hands-on classes), and then I proceed to buff out an entire one half of a hood using the BLACKFIRE One Step.

I demonstrated this in the LIVE Detailing Class we shot this last Tuesday. It is a POWERFUL demonstration considering with any other tool - for major correction work you only tackle the size of your average microfiber towel - NOT an entire half of of hood.

This is also one of the reasons I call the BEAST the BEAST. In fact, have an article by this name,

Why I call the FLEX 3401 the BEAST! by Mike Phillips

For what it's worth, I've been at Autogeek officially for 11 years now, July 10th is my anniversary hire date, and in this time I've only seen people SELL their BEAST 2-3 times and then a few months down the road... they make a new post looking to see if anyone wants to sell their BEAST.

In other words - you rarely see the BEAST for sale and then later the person that sells it usually regrets it.

The key with the BEAST, like ALL brands and types of tools - you need to take the time and invest the time behind it and learn to MASTER it.

Once you master the BEAST there's pretty much nothing you can't tackle.

If you spend enough time behind any tool you can make it dance on paint -Mike Phillips

9. Likes FrankS, TTQ B4U, Zenny, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just to chime in,

In my detailing classes, something new I've added when I teach the "Production Detailing" session, is just how large of an area you can tackle at one time with the BEAST.

Normally I find the most neglected daily driver out of the cars I've obtained for the class, (the cars for all classes are different but we go through 10 cars in the roadshow classes and up to 15 in my 3-day classes, that's what you call hands-on classes), and then I proceed to buff out an entire one half of a hood using the BLACKFIRE One Step.

I demonstrated this in the LIVE Detailing Class we shot this last Tuesday. It is a POWERFUL demonstration considering with any other tool - for major correction work you only tackle the size of your average microfiber towel - NOT an entire half of of hood.

This is also one of the reasons I call the BEAST the BEAST. In fact, have an article by this name,

For what it's worth, I've been at Autogeek officially for 11 years now, July 10th is my anniversary hire date, and in this time I've only seen people SELL their BEAST 2-3 times and then a few months down the road... they make a new post looking to see if anyone wants to sell their BEAST.

In other words - you rarely see the BEAST for sale and then later the person that sells it usually regrets it.

The key with the BEAST, like ALL brands and types of tools - you need to take the time and invest the time behind it and learn to MASTER it.

If you spend enough time behind any tool you can make it dance on paint -Mike Phillips

Agree with everything here. The Flex is truly a beast. I'm adding another to my cabinet as im standardizing on the Fkex due in part to durability. I've used it along side the Ruoes Mille and as much as I love the unit for its smooth operation its going in for a second rebuild/repair in as many years.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

11. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The video on Tuesday is what actually sparked me to write this thread.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I will be making the upgrade soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just to chime in,

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Just buy it. It was the very first polisher I've ever bought and never looked back. It's gear driven so it has the power of a rotary, but the safety of a DA. I've gone full three-step corrections with it and never an issue. I'm actually considering buying the cordless version as well to use for mobile detailing when/if my business takes off.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Mike nailed the single biggest factor in how the Flex 3401 has saved me time. I can tackle larger areas with the Beast!

I simply get correction jobs done faster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast