autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I upgrade to a Flex 3401?

Hi All, I’ve been using my GG6 for many years now, on my own vehicles, relatives, and occasionally to make a couple bucks. I’m not doing this as a business.

With that said, I’ve been more apprehensive (or lazy) lately because I feel like the GG6 just takes so long to do a car. I’ve stuck with the 2’ x 2’ selections, 4-6 passes, good form, etc. I also break down a vehicle into parts where I need to step down to a 3” backing plate with a 4” pad just to make sure I keep the machine rotating with enough correcting power. (Pillars, narrow bumper sections, mirrors). I’ve always had great results, just a lot of time involved.

Will a Flex 3401 save me on time? I’ve read plenty with folks saying they’ve saved anywhere from 20-60% of time when doing a car. Obviously there’s the drive aspect which directly results in more correcting power. Also it seems that the Flex can handle 6.5” pads adequately where I feel the GG6 does all it can with 5.5 flat pads. This obviously appeals to me with larger panels such as my truck.

Am I going to see a big improvement moving up to the Flex 3401 or should I just continue to grind it out with the GG6 for the 5 cars a year I deal with?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I upgrade to a Flex 3401?

Watch the video from Mike and Yancy they did yesterday. You’ll definitely save time.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I sure saved time by switching,how much I’m not sure but it’s noticeable for sure. Years ago I went from GG6 to the 3401 and what I did notice is on vertical panels the Flex can give you a workout, I learned to switch hands to help combat the “walking” that the Flex does. I have long throws, PC style and I still reach for the 3401 80% of the time because with the Flex it’s no stall and all brawl

Post Thanks / Like

It will save you 40% plus time. I won't be moving away from forced drive mainly for time savings but also they work everywhere. No more needing to worry about the pad nor spinning.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Likes spazzz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another aspect to consider is this:

Is the time savings worth the extra clear coat removed from the way more powerful Flex?

If your car is a lease, or you trade it in every 3-4 years, then I would say yes. If you plan on keeping it for 10+ years, then a few more hours to save a little clear would be my choice.

JMO.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Another aspect to consider is this:

Is the time savings worth the extra clear coat removed from the way more powerful Flex?

If your car is a lease, or you trade it in every 3-4 years, then I would say yes. If you plan on keeping it for 10+ years, then a few more hours to save a little clear would be my choice.

JMO.........
    The amount of clear removed isn't an issue. Thats easily controlled by what product and pad used. Also doing less passes.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

8. Likes spazzz, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    The amount of clear removed isn't an issue. Thats easily controlled by what product and pad used. Also doing less passes.

Good to know...........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I definitely agree with less passes.

I switched from a porter cable 6 years ago and I am still pleased every time I pick the 3401 up.
    It is a wonderful feeling not having to adjust for uniform spinning. Concentrating on the paint and not machine performace is a plus.

12. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I upgrade to a Flex 3401?

It will save you 40% plus time. I won't be moving away from forced drive mainly for time savings but also they work everywhere. No more needing to worry about the pad nor spinning.

Something I’ve been wondering about a forced rotation machine - do you polish with it as well?

I’m very tempted to get a cordless 3401, but I’d like to be able to polish with it as well vs having to swap back to my mt300. I’d like it to be my polisher I use for everything is what I’m really getting at.

Being a hobbyist mostly I can’t really justify getting the 3401 if I still end up using another machine to polish as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can polish with it, there’s been a few Jet black colors that the long throws finished off better for me but it’s an excellent tool.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast