autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire coatings

Post Thanks / Like

Tire coatings

So i just finally got around to coating my tires. Used Mckee’s 37 tire coating i know it’s not sold here but was bought here.

I did two coats and looks perfect.

I wanted to post about some issues i’ve read with Optimums tire coating and probably a problem with most tire coatings.

I haven’t applied any product to tires since February.
    I’ve cleaned several time till foamed white atleast 3 times with 303 tire and rubber and LATA.

I tested a little spot to check self leveling claims. I wasn’t happy with appearance of coating. Looked blotchy maybe some browning?

Ordered a drill brush (I had to order elsewhere as i needed the small 2” for my lo pros)

My tires had come clean white with hand scrubbing with 303 T&R and tuf shine brush before test spot.

Once drill brush was in i cleaned with tuf shine brush again. 2 times and foam was white. I then cleaned with drill brush and the 303 and foam browned up again. It looked pretty black after hand scrubbing but kinda looked like a “film” was their?

Anyways to sum up:

Mckee’s tirecoating looks great after a day.

The 303 tire and rubber is a good cleaner. I like the neon purple color.

The tuf shine brush..... well you all already know.

Machine scrubbing old tires highly recommended (thanks for that Mike) and even new. I think it would fix the browning issues people had with Optimum tirecoat.

If you have an angled driver or a cordless rotary would work way better than standard drill/driver although worked fine for me. An angled machine would make it way easier.

The look:

Looks perfectly applied, was worried about high spots but product was self leveling and came out fine.

2 coats looks dark black with a little sheen. I dont like shiny and don’t like matte. Came out perfect.

Links to products from AG

303 Tire & Rubber Cleaner

I have tuff shine brush but actually used this one from AG

Low Profile Tire Brush

Oh and used this to apply, worked perfectly

Carrand Brush & Shine Tire Dressing Applicators, tire brush, tire shine applicator

On top of these a 2” drill brush and the coating.

I’ll post updates on durability but will be topping with Tac systems tire coat to use up. Probably let ride for 2 months before though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire coatings

Will be interested to see what your opinions are as time goes on. I've yet to find a tire dressing that I think over the weeks lasts enough to my liking. I'm okay with simply using Meg's Hyperdressing at 3:1 ratios for now.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.

I continue to forget to order the machine brush, but hopefully soon. I’ve been screwed with trusting my hand cleaning too many times, hand cleaning on old tires previously having dressings... particularly getting near the rims. For that reason I switched back to dressings during the winter and will wait to try coatings again for new sets of tires, starting with the X5 M winters this December.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like you did a review of Tac tire coat a bit over a year ago.
    How did that hold up?
    I like the way it looked then. Why switch? unless of course it lasted a week

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    It looks like you did a review of Tac tire coat a bit over a year ago.
    How did that hold up?
    I like the way it looked then. Why switch? unless of course it lasted a week
    I got about 1.5 months where i felt it needed to be topped. Personal preference would top off monthly. Looked fine with just hand cleaning of tires.

Most tire shine i used lasted 2 weeks at most to my liking. I got twice as long from tacs tirecoat and could wash and top monthly and be fine.

In this instance i wanted something that will give me 3 months or more before topping. I’ve read some have had 6 months to a year but figure with low profiles and harder cornering i will wear edges out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Will be interested to see what your opinions are as time goes on. I've yet to find a tire dressing that I think over the weeks lasts enough to my liking. I'm okay with simply using Meg's Hyperdressing at 3:1 ratios for now.
    This is a coating. I think guz got close to a year. I’ll be happy 3-6 months but post was to highlight more the cleaning process to clear up issues others have had with browning and blotchiness.

Post Thanks / Like

@Coatingsarecrack, You need to let me send you some BP. Game Over!

8. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guz gets a year I’m guessing because no rain. Hopefully you’ll get 3-6 months in your climate... I feel rain is the biggest destroyer of tire protectants. I think you will get at least 3, but your liking will be the wildcard. I always wanted to redo the coating at around 3, but doesn’t mean it was gone. Plus I never fully trusted my hand cleaning the tires to perfection prior to application.

Looking forward to updates!

10. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You will get more than 3 months. And when you need to top it, top it with itself. Simple wash and a prep wipe with like Eraser and another coat or two and you are done. The tac system won't last that long as a topper on McKee's with the acrylic giving it a harder shell for anything to penetrate onto the actual tire. Did you get the most recent version? This version lasts much longer than the previous version.

You just reminded me to put tac systems tire coat up on the Autopia giveaway thread. I was not a fan of it. It looks ok but when it starts to degrade it leaves the tire brown. Did this every time I used it.

By the way Nick mentioned to me that he is working on a new version of the tire coating. Don't know when it will be out.

12. Thanks dwaleke thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You will get more than 3 months. And when you need to top it, top it with itself. Simple wash and a prep wipe with like Eraser and another coat or two and you are done. The tac system won't last that long as a topper on McKee's with the acrylic giving it a harder shell for anything to penetrate onto the actual tire. Did you get the most recent version? This version lasts much longer than the previous version.
    By the way Nick mentioned to me that he is working on a new version of the tire coating. Don't know when it will be out.
    Guz, are you referencing new vs old version of TAC System? Or are you saying there’s a new vs old Mckees (separate from whatever Nick is working on now)?

Sorry for the confusion, just trying to keep track of whether there’s currently multiple versions of Mckees and what time frame the newest would have come out (again, separate from whatever Nick has not released yet).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast