autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars ultimate fast finish before qwik wax

Meguiars ultimate fast finish before qwik wax

So I'm pretty new to this stuff because I never had a car that had no rust, so I didn't much care about the paint on them.

I recently bought a new Honda and in my research I discovered that Hondas are notorious for having soft and/or thin clearcoat. I have a quick question about the method I'm about to employ.

The car needs no paint correction from my view, it looks brand new (the car only has 7k miles on it). So my plan is to keep it clean and sealed up, then learn paint correction when the time comes. I may even try it on my mom's old Ford Taurus for practice.

My plan is to wash with soap, clay bar it and then seal the paint. I bought some soap that I've seen other people using, a clay bar kit, meguiars ultimate fast finish and meguiars quik wax, along with towels and whatnot.

I know that meguiars products are generally ok to use together. But does anyone have any experience using the fast finish aerosol in combination with the quik wax? I'm thinking that after wash and clay, I'll add the fast finish to seal the paint and then quik wax to give it a bit more shine.

But I'm not sure if I should do the fast finish first and quik wax over the top, or the other way around.

Has anybody tried this combination and if so, what are your recommendations?

Mike Phillips

Re: Meguiars ultimate fast finish before qwik wax

Because this is your first post,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I just found your thread in the "Moderation Queue". I'm not sure why it was flagged but I've approved it so now it's PUBLIC, which means people can SEE it.

Apologies that it's been hidden since you posted it. Just a ghost in the machine I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to use multiple protection products you typically put the more durable one on first. So your plan to use Fast Finish first is consistent with that.

If you are going to clay the car I would do a light polish afterward. Clay can (and almost always does) mar the surface. I never clay a car I do not plan on polishing.

A light polish first will increase the durability of your protection by ensuring there is nothing in between the paint and your sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. The fast finish is supposedly a high durablity sealant. Qwik Wax is very short lived. I like it, but it's a sealant booster at best with only a couple weeks durability.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    If you are going to clay the car I would do a light polish afterward. Clay can (and almost always does) mar the surface. I never clay a car I do not plan on polishing.
    This is a very important point. If you're happy with the car now and not going to polish it, don't clay it either. On that soft Honda paint, claying will leave marring.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog