autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating experts: I need your opinions here

Yeah, he should bring it back to the person that coated it and have them wash it once, in front of him, so he can see if the same thing happens there. If it doesn't, then he has learned what they did different to do it that way from now on.

At first I'm thinking bad water or poor technique but he said he didn't have issues before coating so can't just blame it all on that if he hasn't had problems before.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed there are smears/dried soap/etc on the glass too. Unless the detailer coated the windows with the same product, I'm starting to think it is a wash technique issue and not the coating.

I used to get similar, though not as bad, residue when I used Meguiars Gold Class in the bright sun and didn't rinse it off very well.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

subscribed.

I agree with the rinseless wash idea.

He should probably rinse off as he goes instead of waiting until the whole car is washed.
    He definitely needs a drying aid and needs to go over with a final buff instead of thinking a drying towel doesn't leave any water on the car.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the soap is drying up on the car before he gets a chance to rinse it. He's taking too long and letting the soap sit there and dry up. I suggest soaping and rinsing one panel at a time like @spazzz suggested and see if the problem persists.

Post Thanks / Like

Coating experts: I need your opinions here

I had an hour long phone conversation with this gent last week where we discussed car wash stuff among lots of other car related topics.. He’s no rookie when it comes to caring for his car, as a matter of fact he’s got a 5 car garage and his favorite pass time is maintaining all 5 of his garage queens in immaculate condition at all times.

I even asked him if it’s true what they say about owning a black car and he said he doesn’t experience those issues because his Cadillac spends much of its time looking perfect in the garage.

He may not be Autogeek level, but the guy deserves alot more credit than some are giving him.

If you look at his post wash pic it’s clear that his car is in the shade + he stated that he began washing at 6am.

Just for comparison sake, I did a bucket wash on my car this morning well after 7am in the morning sun and even though we got a high of 88 degrees today there was no way it was a factor at 7am.

...Not to mention, for all the foam cannoning that goes on here and the mountains of suds that most of us love, I’ve never heard or seen it become an actual problem.

And it’s actually bad advice to rinse off car soap before you’re done with the entire car because that’s when you actually get water spots. [this doesn’t include soaps like Gyeon Bathe+]

Remember, car wash doesn’t cause water spots. Water causes water spots.

It’s for all those reasons that my opinion says it’s gotta be the coatings fault.

I appreciate everyone’s replies in trying to figure this one out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’m just glad it’s not somekind of semi permanent etching that had happened. Man what a relief... He said the towels he used to dry were brand new straight out of the bag.

Those were among the first i bought. Nothing but trouble with those. I had issues with them drying straight out of bag and 1st one.

Good thing i washed and inspected others after use and they had tiny “twigs”. Imbedded in them. If you wanna see picks i reviewed tbem on Amazon with pick

I dont order TRC’s from the A anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Tell him to give reset a try....if this hasn't been mentioned.
    When I use it on my UK3 and Gliss cars it rolls off with hardly any remnants of soap to rinse off.

5 cars deserve a pressure washer!!!

But it sure does look like he is washing the coating off his car the way the soap folding looks.

It looks like wet oil paint rinsed with water

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

And it’s actually bad advice to rinse off car soap before you’re done with the entire car because that’s when you actually get water spots. [this doesn’t include soaps like Gyeon Bathe+]

Remember, car wash doesn’t cause water spots. Water causes water spots.
    I don't know if I agree with this. I will get water spots, but I've also had soap dry on the surface of a car when washing in less that ideal situations. It left a mess just like what was seen in the second round of pictures your provided and was far harder to remove than simple water spots. That stuff will bake onto the surface of a hot car. I learned my lesson the hard way.

It's for that reason alone I always wash and rinse each panel as I clean a vehicle. Goes double for when I do an SUV, when I will actually start on the shady side of the vehicle and finish with the one in the sun.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I (we?) didn’t mean to assume he wasn’t experienced maintaining vehicles. We just don’t know him and this is an odd situation. Since you spend times communicating with him I trust that your hunch is probably right. I hope he gets this figured out OR, even better, the coating people figure it out for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I don't know if I agree with this. I will get water spots, but I've also had soap dry on the surface of a car when washing in less that ideal situations. That stuff will bake onto the surface of a hot car. I learned my lesson the hard way.
    Lets not forget that he washed his car at 6am. There was no hot car.

And the statement I made in regards to car wash soap [generally speaking] not leaving water spots, water leaves water spots was a quote from Nick Rutter. You guys may recall him saying that back when McKee’s released their SiO2 Car Soap which 1 of the claimed benefits was being able to wash in direct sunlight.

But regardless of that soap, his statement was bold and IMO it made alot of sense because if I ever had a choice of having car soap or plain tap water dry on a vehicle I’d choose car soap 100% of the time because odds are the car soap will re activate whereas tap water will dry on a surface and cause water spots.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast