autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to correction, scratch removal

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    If you're not experienced with a polisher and deeper scratch removal, ask a local detailer to look it over. Not sure where you're located but many here are able to help.

Parts of it to the left appear in the image to be pretty deep. A fairly effective trick to see is to spray it with some mild soap and water and see what fades or blends away. The parts that do will likely polish out. Keep in mind perfection isn't always worth chasing.

I wouldn't wet-sand or lean in too hard with a compound unless you have a Paint Thickness Gauge. Key is to balance out the results that make you happy while still maintaining a fair amount of clear coat to protect or handle UV exposure from the sun. Remember, there's no such thing as removing scratches, you're actually leveling the surround clear coat to reduce or eliminate their appearance.

What I would do is polish it lightly to see how far I can get. Before doing more, I'd buy Dr. Color Chip Paint and lay down a very thin line over top of it. Feather the paint with their included solvent using a paper towel so that what overlaps on the good paint/factory finish will essentially polish or sand away. I then would very lightly blend it with polish / wet sand and polish. It will remove 90-95% of the appearance of it while preserving the clear coat. I offer this service as part of my detailing and while not the best at it, do a pretty darn good job. Never had any complaints with the results.

Thank you. I have not heard of Dr. Color chip but sounds exactly what I have been looking for. Using the dealer touch up paint bottles never turns out well other than a blob. I will try that and then a light buffing as suggested. Thanks again everyone for all the help!

2. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great forum indeed, just keep it simple and respect everyone. You’ll find that this is a great place. I’m new and the help I’ve received is invaluable. This level of expertise and knowledge here is beyond me. Lol

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I"m brand new at this. Started today and so far am delighted with the results. But I have one question: typically how many seconds/minutes should you spend on each 2'x2' section? Do I keep going until the polish vanishes? I don't want to burn it but when I was done with the first fender, the results were excellent but there are still some slight swirls left. Here's a before and after pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to correction, scratch removal-20200703_163941_hdr-jpg   New to correction, scratch removal-20200703_165942_hdr-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

@Adams I’m no pro. Congratulations your getting results that’s awesome. Some say it depends how level of perfection you want. If your comfortable then just go onto next section.

I’m essence every second you spend your removing clear coat. Although you won’t actually burn though unless you really just leave it on there for multiple minutes.
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

What pads are you using? What kind of polisher? What kind of paint leveling liquids and what kind of car is that? All those factor in to a great finish so it's hard to give you an answer without knowing all that.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    What pads are you using? What kind of polisher? What kind of paint leveling liquids and what kind of car is that? All those factor in to a great finish so it's hard to give you an answer without knowing all that.
    Griot's: G9 new polisher. Griots orange pad. Griot's Complete compound.

It's a black FFR Cobra. Paint is 7 years old with only 1,800 miles on the car.

I have a few light (in clear coat only) scratches I'm trying to get out.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Done. Pleased with my first job.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest getting more fast correction foam pads and correction foam pads as well as some finishing foam pads. I've never used complete compound but I know that the fast correcting cream and the perfecting cream are a good combo together.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
    I"m brand new at this. Started today and so far am delighted with the results. But I have one question: typically how many seconds/minutes should you spend on each 2'x2' section? Do I keep going until the polish vanishes? I don't want to burn it but when I was done with the first fender, the results were excellent but there are still some slight swirls left. Here's a before and after pic.
    I will second Will's suggestion on the Griot's Fast Correcting Cream.

As far as when to know when to stop, you need to do a test run. After 2-3 section passes, stop and check your results. If 2-3 isn't enough, go 4-5 etc. etc.....

Once you hit that sweet spot, the rest of the car should fall into that category. (There are always exceptions though, so inspect every panel afterwards.)
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I finished the car and am pleased with the results. I didn't go nuts trying to get every little mark out. I'll leave that up to the pro who will eventually be applying the PPF. But for now, it's a HUGE improvement!

Hmm, I wanted to upload a few more pics but can't. Am I limited to pic uploads based on post activity?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12