autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Pricing

I’m currently at looking to expand my mobile detailing business to paint correction and coatings. I don’t have a garage and have been looking around. Been reading up on “labor charges” so you can cover the overhead.

As of now, I’m charging $130 for interiors with +$20 for third rows and $200-240 on wash, wheels/tires, paint sealant and full interior.

I’m in an area where there’s lots of beaches, lots of dogs and fishermen. I do the work out of my Dodge Durango and set up shop at customers houses. Usually takes me about 4-6 hours for full details and then i charge $50/hour when doing paint correction. I’m in North-Eastern Massachusetts where apartments rent for $1,800-2,400 for two bedrooms, so I know “commercial space” won’t be cheap. I’ve seen a few places for $1,200-2,500 a month.

Just looking for a little guidance and don’t know 100% where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Pricing

I have a Durango too, but I detail out of of small van. Do you carry own water and electricity? If so you need to charge more.

3. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by Rtrick87 View Post
    I’m currently at looking to expand my mobile detailing business to paint correction and coatings. I don’t have a garage and have been looking around. Been reading up on “labor charges” so you can cover the overhead.

As of now, I’m charging $130 for interiors with +$20 for third rows and $200-240 on wash, wheels/tires, paint sealant and full interior.

I’m in an area where there’s lots of beaches, lots of dogs and fishermen. I do the work out of my Dodge Durango and set up shop at customers houses. Usually takes me about 4-6 hours for full details and then i charge $50/hour when doing paint correction. I’m in North-Eastern Massachusetts where apartments rent for $1,800-2,400 for two bedrooms, so I know “commercial space” won’t be cheap. I’ve seen a few places for $1,200-2,500 a month.

Just looking for a little guidance and don’t know 100% where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hello,

This is Dan with The Buffing Moose Detailing based out of Portsmouth, NH. I used to come out to the Gloucester area all the time to visit friends out there. I am very familiar with the place. To be quite frank with you...

Assuming your quality is at a very high level and you would agree, then I have the feeling that you are undercharging for such an area.

In my neck of the woods, commercial space is going for the same ball park as well as residential housing rates. And that’s the low average...I can relate being a mobile service myself And “close enough” to you.

When was the last time you evaluated your prices? Perhaps thought about an increase? For paint correction, I average about $100/hr. For my detailing stuff such as interior and wash and waxed, I take a minimum of 3-4 hours just the inside and 2 hours outside. I average about $75/hr for those type of jobs.

I have the feeling that if you are aiming to do paint correction, you should be able to raise that desired hourly rate a notch. I am thinking $65/hr. Good quality paint correction should be well compensated for the time.

In terms of ceramic coatings, it depends if you are trying to offer a warranty program such as Opti-Coat where they have minimum advertised pricing.

Otherwise you should be able to offer something like Optimum Gloss Coat as an add on to a paint correction for another $300 give or take for a prosumer grade coating. I would consider that a minimum for the area.

I hope this helps a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

5. Thanks Eric7810 thanked for this post
    Likes Rtrick87, Eric7810, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's talk paint correction as a business.

What I have seen going from a side gig for 10 plus years to full time out of my garage, My standards are not what customers see. They want the protection, and a 1 step seems to be the "OMG I'M BLOWN AWAY" spot.

We have some crazy unrealistic standards when it comes to daily drivers.

I have had to really scale back perfection to deliver what the customer wants/has a budget for.

If i were a YouTuber, Everything would be perfect. Not the world we live in. So, try and package coatings with a 1 step correction, and upcharge for what a 2 plus step would be.

Last week I did a 1 step/3 year on an Outback. Just under 4hours and a retail of $499 plus tax. Customer was happy and i made a profit.

If you want to chat reach out with a PM. I can learn as much from you as you from me.

Always happy to share.

7. Thanks colonel, TrustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@Billy that’s awesome seeing members help others man. That makes me happy, that’s cool man.

9. Likes bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, when we as detailers can take down the “ I know everything “ cloak, and talk to each other, we lift the industry. I can learn from a guy 1 day in, just like I can learn from Mike Phillips. Diversity in thinking moves the needle in our world. I love learning, and helping

11. Likes acuRAS82, BillE, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate your honesty and humble, early on I listened to YouTube detailers and I feel like I missed the basics. For example some people were spraying apc on everything and then taking a toothbrush and brushing plastics. That ended up scratching my Durango interior, now it looks funky. I’ve part of other forum where members don’t care about each other, and it’s just weird.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    Thanks, when we as detailers can take down the “ I know everything “ cloak, and talk to each other, we lift the industry. I can learn from a guy 1 day in, just like I can learn from Mike Phillips. Diversity in thinking moves the needle in our world. I love learning, and helping
    Fantastic attitude, for many facets of life, not just detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing that i think makes this Forum great, Mike is active on here almost daily. One of my favorite things is Monday morning when I see that Mike has responded to all of the questions from the weekend. Weather they be hard or simple, he replies with great information, and class. I have read some questions that were very very basic(Like a 6 year old should know) Mike always responds in the utmost professional manner. Oh and probably has at least 6 articles he has written on the subject Mike is the example I try to set my standards to. As we all should.

15. Likes kevinkunkle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The prices do seem a bit low for paint correction. It also depends on the market that you're aiming for to be honest. Paint correction. I'm not mobile, and I just do it on the side. For me, I don't separate paint correction to washes and interiors because I charge 120 dollars, period. (I'm in Toronto Canada so not sure how it compares to yours). A wash always includes wheels, paint, and protection on the paint, plastic trim, and glass as well as iron decon. If I'm not polishing, I wont' clay. Find somebody else to do that. And I won't polish a specific person's car more than once a year. Some people don't like it, but thank me later in a few years. Also of course, I won't polish without washing. I'll use what the owner prefers, wax or sealant.

Point is, I don't differentiate between what I'm doing because a poor wash won't give you good polish results, which won't give you good coating results. If someone wants a 20 dollar car wash, I'll tell them the gas station tunnels wash your car for 14, why bother with me?

If you plan on coating, I don't know how easy it is to coat as mobile. Mostly because of the temperature and direct sunlight. For the easiest and quickest ways to do coatings, a garage would be the best bet. I've never done mobile so take it for what you will, there are a lot of people on here that do mobile so they can chime in like Dan already has.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast