autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Adams UV Ceramic vs. CarPro CQuartz

Detailing enthusiast here...

over the course of the four month CV19 quarantine, I’ve extensively detailed (multi-stage correction & ceramic coated) 13 family and friends cars ranging from a 2016 Honda Accord to a 2019 Range Rover and about everything in between.

For the most part, I follow Todd Cooperrider’s program, which I’ve had great results with over the years. The ceramic Ive used has been CQuartz/Gliss or Adams UV Ceramic with CarPro Reload as a topper for both.

Interesting thing happened this week. 4 of the 5 cars that I used Adams UV Ceramic on have water marks on the horizontal surfaces. The kind of watermarks that are etched into the clear coat and won’t come out with a water spot remover.

Of the 4, 2 are garaged and 2 are not.

So r tee hat got me thinking... I wonder if the same is happening to CarPro CQuartz/Gliss combo.

Not a single of the 8 cars has water spot etchings in the clear coat. This is hardly a scientific test, just one enthusiasts observation over a decent sample size. One conclusion I can make... I won’t by Adams UV Ceramic ever again.

2. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Adams UV Ceramic vs. CarPro CQuartz

Just to chime in...

For some reason your post went to the Moderation Queue. I found it just now when approving real human beings and removing spammers in the "Pending Accounts" queue.

So now your post is "public" and others can see it.

I know and respect Todd Cooperider, he's a stand-up guy.

Also - I hope you don't mind, but I took you single block of text and broke it up into several sentences and paragraphs to make it easier for others and myself to read.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting finding for sure.

I wonder how well CQuartz by itself would have held up if you didn't top with Gliss. Gliss was their solution for water spotting (at least to mitigate the risk) but it's only supposed to last about a year so there's a chance their coatings wouldn't be so resistant to water spots later down the road.

Personally, I'd use anything CarPro over anything Adam's Polishes 100% of the time so I'm glad you're not reporting the opposite
    Bruno Soares

5. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My truck is coated with CQuartz UK and currently covered in water spots while my wife's vehicle has CQuartz UK topped with Gliss and looks fantastic.

The truck is due for another round of polishing and coating as it has been almost 2 years but the water spotting started early on and I didn't keep up. The wife's SUV it going on just about a year so about time for another round of Gliss on there.
    Tim 2014 Ram 1500 2005 Triumph Tiger
    FLICKR Instagram

7. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coatings have the potential to spot. Cquartz is a great coating. One of the claims for Gliss is anti-water spotting. Perhaps this is what you are seeing. I know my brothers car that was coated in Cquartz TiO2 and Gliss did not have water spot issues.

I currently have a coating test going on and most of the coatings have water spots on them. I also recently coated a car with 22ple Insanity and it spotted 2 weeks after application even after it was topped with it's companion spray sealant to protect it during the curing time frame.

As far as the water spot removers, they don't really work that well unless the spots are fresh. So it is possible the coating is etched and not the actual paint.

2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test

Got to 4 mins into the video to see the coatings all spotted up after 5 months. Just the potential risk of using a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Cquatz UK 3 with and without Gliss v2 and never had water spot problems. Hundreds of vehicles. The only time I had an issue is when a sprinkler spayed a black vehicle and the sun baked it in.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

10. Thanks Rsurfer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Interesting finding for sure.

I wonder how well CQuartz by itself would have held up if you didn't top with Gliss. Gliss was their solution for water spotting (at least to mitigate the risk) but it's only supposed to last about a year so there's a chance their coatings wouldn't be so resistant to water spots later down the road.

Personally, I'd use anything CarPro over anything Adam's Polishes 100% of the time so I'm glad you're not reporting the opposite
    I have no experience with Adams products but I have used CQuartz UK on multiple cars, both v2 and V3. All of them naked.

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I use Cquatz UK 3 with and without Gliss v2 and never had water spot problems. Hundreds of vehicles. The only time I had an issue is when a sprinkler spayed a black vehicle and the sun baked it in.
    My findings too...though the sample size is WAY smaller. I've never had any water spot problems. I think baked on sprinkler water would be the kiss of death for any LSP.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think baked on sprinkler water would be the kiss of death for any LSP.
    Especially a black car.

13. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, I dont' trust any LSP to avoid waterspots from hardwater. I don't know of anything short of PPF that will directly protect paint against hard minerals and calcium, especially with heat involved. There are some that seem to do better and others that don't seem to but as a general rule, if I see new water spots, I just waterless wash that spot off.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

15. Likes Sizzle Chest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

CQuK3 on my car topped with Cancoat. Left one just CQuK3 and spotting on both topped and non topped the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk