autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you choose a quick detailer?

This question is more about the fundamentals of application. I was under the impression that most quick detailers are pretty much same with little bit of here and there. But after I read Mike's Spray detailers article (Tips & Techniques for using a Spray Detailer to Remove Light Dust, Fingerprints and Smudges) I noticed that most manufacturers make more than one of them. I wonder what differentiates them (in terms of application). I am not including detailers with waxing abilities like quick waxes.

For example, Meguiars has following spray detailers for sale on AG

1. Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer
    2. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #34 Final Inspection - 16 ounces
    3. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #135 Synthetic Spray Detailer - 16 ounces
    4. Meguiars NXT Generation Speed Detailer - 24 ounces
    5. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #52 Quik Clean Mist & Wipe - 16 ounces
    6. Meguiar's D15501 Last Touch Spray Detailer - 1 gallon

Out of these, where in detailing methods/steps would you use #1 and not #2, so on so forth. Is there any classification (or some sort of guidelines) that guides a detailer to choose one over the other?

I searched on the board but most questions are like, help me pick 'the best'. Everyone's 'best' is different based on their personal criteria (i.e no uniformity) but rarely anyone mentioned 'why' they think it is the best (in terms of detailing application).

I googled and on Meguiar's board I found, Michael Stoops mentions that M34 should be used while compounding. Anything else will impede the correction process. Now that is the information I am looking for.

Is there compilation of such information that anyone can direct me to?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by SixZee; 06-24-2020 at 08:43 AM. Reason: added clarification

2. Likes OMGClayAiken liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you choose a quick detailer?

I use #1 because its fairly cheap and easily available OTC. I only use it to dry the vehicle after I use a blower to remove the majority of the water off the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcats98 View Post
    I use #1 because its fairly cheap and easily available OTC.
    I use the same too for exactly the same reason, but I am more interested in terms of detailing application like I gave an example of M34 from Meguiar's board. I added clarification in the OP.

Post Thanks / Like

•How I choose QD’s:

-Meguiar’s “invented” the quick detail spray
    category of car-care products (ca.1981).

-First I heard of that was ~1982; and, I’ve been
    using one formulation, or another, of Meguiar’s
    consanguineous Quik Detail (spray & mist)
    products ever since.

-I figure: Why not go with the progenitor?

•How I use what I choose:

-I have no problem following Meguiar’s
    usage recommendations as outlined on
    their product bottles; or, their QD products’
    descriptions found on most car-care forums.

-Same goes for Mike Phillips’ recommendations.
    [After all: He’s been there, done that.
    (RE: @Meguiar’s.)]

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

6. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

#1 and #6 are the same for all important purposes, six being the bulk buy for professionals. These two are favorites for many due to ease of use and decent shine laid down.

I would imagine that these use the similar type of polymer makeup as Meguiar’s Ultimate line (including Ultimate Paste/Liquid/Quik Waxes). This line boasts a lot about hydrophobic qualities and people like the shine they provide.

I’ve never used #2-5, but I have used Good Class Quik Detailer and same can be said about it likely using similar polymers as the GC line (I don’t think it has carnauba but that could have been another addition to separate it from other Meg’s QDs). The Gold Class line boasts about making dark colors darker. There’s carnauba in the paste and liquid waxes. I would use this QD if I was working on a dark vehicle, I suppose (I actually mostly used it only with GC Paste, GC Quik Wax and finally on anything until the bottle was gone to make room on my shelf.

So while it doesn’t totally answer your question, part of the reason there are so many QDs is for companies to give the consumer more choices (and make more sales) and synergy with different lines. How each detailer behaves or ease of use is obviously impacted by what the line’s mission statement is.

8. Thanks SixZee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since you are choosing among several Meguiars detailers, I suggest you contact Meguiars directly. In my experience, they have excellent customer service and can give you the most accurate info about their products. In my case, once I got the info from Meguiars, I then came back to Autogeek and bought the products here.

The other thing you can do is go to the Meguiars website and find the listing for each product in your list above. When you are on the page for a specific product on the Meguiars website, if you scroll all the way down, you can find a link "view ingredients". The specific ingredients might give you some clues about the differences. For example, The Last Touch appears to contain a gloss enhancer. M34 Final Inspection does not contain the same gloss enhancer but instead contains a glossing agent.

As for choosing a detailer, it really depends on what specific function it is serving you. If you are using the detailer prior to applying a sealant, then you do not want to use one that contains any waxes or gloss enhancers. But if you are using one just to do a light cleaning, then a detailer such as The Last Touch with gloss enhancers would be great.

Personally, I love Meguiars D115 Express Wash and Wax. I use this as a waterless wash and also as a detailer.

Hope that helps.

10. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would never suggest using a quick detailer to do any sort of cleaning, it's not a great idea. It may provide lubrication but it does not pull dirt off of paint the way a waterless wash does.

As a drying aid for washes, it's perfect. It adds a bit of gloss, and depending on the one you use, it may add a bit of protection.

I've used Meguiars Ultimate Detailer when I used their Ultimate Paste Wax "back in the day" and it was great. From what I understand, they were made to add a freshly waxed look to a car with gloss enhancers (synthetic/polymer/carnauba) but they lack the durability or true protection of the actual wax/sealant.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

12. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes dwaleke, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can just make your own with one of the countless "formula" mentioned in these forums using waterless/rinseless wash products. Everyone has their own favorite. I use Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash, no rinse car wash and dilute accordingly. You also save a ton of money this way, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •How I choose QD’s:

-Meguiar’s “invented” the quick detail spray
    category of car-care products (ca.1981).

-First I heard of that was ~1982; and, I’ve been
    using one formulation, or another, of Meguiar’s
    consanguineous Quik Detail (spray & mist)
    products ever since.

-I figure: Why not go with the progenitor?

Bob

In the early 90s when I first started driving and taking care of my cars I recall my first ever detail spray was from Armor All. It came in a black spray bottle. I wish I remember the name.

That was the first of its kind that I can recall that was available on the shelves of local auto parts stores.

15. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SixZee View Post
    This question is more about the fundamentals of application. I was under the impression that most quick detailers are pretty much same with little bit of here and there. But after I read Mike's Spray detailers article (Tips & Techniques for using a Spray Detailer to Remove Light Dust, Fingerprints and Smudges) I noticed that most manufacturers make more than one of them. I wonder what differentiates them (in terms of application). I am not including detailers with waxing abilities like quick waxes.

For example, Meguiars has following spray detailers for sale on AG

1. Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer
    2. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #34 Final Inspection - 16 ounces
    3. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #135 Synthetic Spray Detailer - 16 ounces
    4. Meguiars NXT Generation Speed Detailer - 24 ounces
    5. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #52 Quik Clean Mist & Wipe - 16 ounces
    6. Meguiar's D15501 Last Touch Spray Detailer - 1 gallon

Out of these, where in detailing methods/steps would you use #1 and not #2, so on so forth. Is there any classification (or some sort of guidelines) that guides a detailer to choose one over the other?

I searched on the board but most questions are like, help me pick 'the best'. Everyone's 'best' is different based on their personal criteria (i.e no uniformity) but rarely anyone mentioned 'why' they think it is the best (in terms of detailing application).

I googled and on Meguiar's board I found, Michael Stoops mentions that M34 should be used while compounding. Anything else will impede the correction process. Now that is the information I am looking for.

Is there compilation of such information that anyone can direct me to?

Thanks in advance.
    This should help.

M135 has been discontinued due to low sales. This was the same as ultimate quik detailer just in a bulk form. UQD is a synthetic polymer detail spray that will leave protection behind.

Final Inspection can be used as a detail spray. It will not leave protection behind. It is no longer used per Mike Stoops statement now that they offer M122 surface prep.

D155 Last Touch is essentially the bulk version of the over the counter Spray Detailer in the maroon bottle. It often comes in the clay lube. D155 can be used as a QD and diluted to a clay lube. Again no protection but contains gloss enhancers.

#52 is dedicated to the marine line.

NXT I never used it but NXT was Meguiar’s first product line into the synthetic market and introduce polymers. The ultimate line evolved from the NXT line.

17. Thanks BillE, SixZee, Thomkirby, dwaleke thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Bruno Soares liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast