autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Truck Roof

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Truck Roof

So honest question, all jokes aside. I live in upstate NY. Sun has never been a big concern for us haha. Modern cars really affected that much? Especially those you never plan to own for more than 10 years? I know I saw my fair share of paint damage when living down south, but it still always seemed like they were an 80's cutlass. Our cars up north rust before they fade...
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

•IMO:
    -Being you’re in the area of the Country that
    usually receives an ungodly amount of snowfall
    (a reliable indicator of the presence of seasonal
    road salts), it would behoove you to get an up
    close and personal view of the roof every now
    and then to check if there are signs of possible
    or impending corrosion; paint deteriorations; etc.

•Or, if you’re in the:
    ”Roof Rust”...What me worry? camp;

-You could always install a Lift Kit...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post

I totally skipped, ironx, clay and hdspeed on the roof.

So what says you Autogeek? 20 lashes, or no big deal?

20 lashes.

Like others said, the roof along with any horizontal panel takes the biggest hit from the sun and also water and air-borne pollution. If you live in a sun state like I do, it's the horizontal panels that suffer from clearcoat failure the most.

A smooth surface will last longer than a rough surface

So yeah - claying and machine polishing will go a long ways to enable the paint to hold up over the service life of the vehicle.

For protection - after the 3D Speed - maintain with Optimum Polymer Technology's Car Wax. It's quick, fast and simple. Spray-on, spread around and wipe off. Repeat.

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

4. Thanks JKDesign thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    So honest question, all jokes aside. I live in upstate NY. Sun has never been a big concern for us haha. Modern cars really affected that much? Especially those you never plan to own for more than 10 years? I know I saw my fair share of paint damage when living down south, but it still always seemed like they were an 80's cutlass. Our cars up north rust before they fade...
    The 2-fold advantage of a durable coating is not only better and longer lasting protection, but less wear and tear on the owner!

The initial cost outlay seems high for such, but is actually more economical in the long run IMO. Factor placing a price on your time and labor. To me, that's also an important consideration.

Such will make your life much easier, knowing that all you might have to do to maintain is a simple spray on and wipe off product.

Some people remark about certain toppings effecting certain properties of a coating, Of course it's mostly true.

Let's just for say you applied CQuartz UK Coating and then simply used an inexpensive drying aid-detailer spray like Duragloss Aquawax. No harm, no foul really IMO.

I think it would be quite rare if any of them would detrimentally effect such durable coating's protection, and longevity.
    There's many supposed better compatible toppers for such coatings now on the market which might help better retain the Coating's properties such as greater hydrophobicity, and dirt shrugging qualities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    The 2-fold advantage of a durable coating is not only better and longer lasting protection, but less wear and tear on the owner!

The initial cost outlay seems high for such, but is actually more economical in the long run IMO. Factor placing a price on your time and labor. To me, that's also an important consideration.

Such will make your life much easier, knowing that all you might have to do to maintain is a simple spray on and wipe off product.

Some people remark about certain toppings effecting certain properties of a coating, Of course it's mostly true.

Let's just for say you applied CQuartz UK Coating and then simply used an inexpensive drying aid-detailer spray like Duragloss Aquawax. No harm, no foul really IMO.

I think it would be quite rare if any of them would detrimentally effect such durable coating's protection, and longevity.
    There's many supposed better compatible toppers for such coatings now on the market which might help better retain the Coating's properties such as greater hydrophobicity, and dirt shrugging qualities.
    fair point. I guess I get lost in this forum sometimes and forget we're all at different places. Me, I'm a father of 3 with a lot of hobbies. So I get to detail each of our 3 cars once a year. I do a was as needed and do spray on LSPs throughout the year. Then I see guys who do test panels of 6 different products and forget they're pros or really, really into detailing. Heck before I had kids I even did a 2 step haha.

I think it's fair to say that it's important to remember the topper or spray on rinse/wipe off lsp is a critical part. I've been using mk 10 minute, but have a few products on my wish list that i'm eager to try soon.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

I have an F150, the roof is not swirl free but I do put extra wax or sealant on it . It’s 4 years old n this summer it is getting a one of ceramics sold at AGeek.
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

My truck roof doesn't get the full clay/iron removal treatment, but it does get a sealant when I do the rest of the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't chase swirls or imperfections up there but I'll do a quick polish and seal it up with the same stuff as the rest of the paint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12