autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dilution products- distilled water or purified?

I try to use distilled water when mixing my detailing chemicals, but in a pinch I sometimes use the purified drinking water or even tap water if it’s APC or Wheel & Tire cleaner...

But when mixing up something a bit more expensive i.e. Hyper Dressing @1:1 I make sure to use distilled water. I pay too much for it not to get the best possible mix.Dilution products- distilled water or purified?

2. Likes acuRAS82, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dilution products- distilled water or purified?

What are you defining as purified water? Distilled water is water purified by the process of distillation.

Water purified by reverse osmosis often removes 99.x percent of TDS. While technically distilled water can be better the diff is almost non-existent between RO and distilled water.

If you are not using RO or distillation for water purification I would not call it purified water (but some water bottling companies might).

I would not hesitate diluting my chemicals with RO water. It's at the sink and cheaper than buying distilled water.

BTW: Pretty sure Tunch Goren of 3D mentioned they use reverse osmosis water for blending their products. Coca-Cola does as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Purified water, the one you refill your 5 gallons at the machine outside a big store?

Post Thanks / Like

At around a buck a gallon, I do not find distilled water to be a wallet-buster for me.

But, I am just a hobbyist.

I have used RO water in the past, and to be honest I have not noticed any negative effects. Even with storage.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    Purified water, the one you refill your 5 gallons at the machine outside a big store?
    That's probably just tap water run through a carbon filter. It will filter some things out of the water but will leave most of the TDS.

I would ask them at the store what process they are using. Expect to get back a blank stare. Most people have no interest in understanding water filtration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    That's probably just tap water run through a carbon filter. It will filter some things out of the water but will leave most of the TDS.

I would ask them at the store what process they are using. Expect to get back a blank stare. Most people have no interest in understanding water filtration.
    There are no people to ask, it’s a coin op machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I appreciate everyone, for feedback. Hey won’t can’t learn unless we discuss this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Distilled Water will be quite shelf stable for dilution of chemicals. There's been times where I found I had to slightly cut and dilute products like Polishes and Compounds, just so thick they'd be a chore just to get out of the bottle. IMO that's just too darn thick!

And sometimes such products are fine when you purchase them, but when used at a later date, this can happen, and they become difficult to use. I say no harm with a very slight dilution to achieve the viscosity it once possessed.

Drinking waters such as you buy in a store, either the coin-op where you fill your own Container, Culligan, and multitudes of others now sold by Bottling Companies are often fully stripped of dissolved solids, heavy metals, and yes even viruses due to the types of filtration and sterilization processes, then a couple minerals are re-added to them. There's Deionization, and Reverse Osmosis.

For the use of dilution for Auto Detailing Products, I would personally give the nod to Distilled Water being more shelf Stable, and having less in the way of dissolved solids versus any Drinking Waters.

Way way back, there was a craze for awhile, people (Health Nuts) were drinking Distilled Water, thinking it was better for them. Nope, it isn't. The body needs those minerals.

Then further up the ladder there are waters that are even further purified. Reagent Grade is one, specs can vary, and they climb still yet higher, for Laboratory, and Scientific Research. Such purified waters are I understand used also in Kidney Dialysis.

And even further, as I've understood from study, some of these very highly purified and stripped waters actually come to the point of being poisonous to the human body.

Water is a very complex study.

10. Thanks TrustJesus, Bobh59 thanked for this post
    Likes TrustJesus, Bobh59 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark as always thanks, I’ll just find excuse to tell my wife lol to buy distilled water

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    Mark as always thanks, I’ll just find excuse to tell my wife lol to buy distilled water
    Many modern day Clothes Irons don't necessarily require the use of distilled water anymore as I understand, but I've seen detrimental effects on Clothes, particularly expensive dress shirts by using regular Tap Water as a substitute. It used to be that tap water contained too much in the way of minerals and would clog them up with deposits.

Batteries that have ports-caps for adding water, again, Distilled is the way to go.

I've many times done draining and refills on my Vehicle Coolant Systems over the years, and again, for a measly 75-85 cents a gallon, I chose distilled water in combination with full strength anti-freeze instead of Tap Water.

Just a few other uses that I thought I'd mention.

13. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast