autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is your "go to" clay product nowadays?

I've never been a fan of the claying process. I have black metallic car and although the clay makes the paint feel incredible, I will occasionally leave waxy clay streaks by accident even if I'm lubricating considerably. They can be buffed out, but it is time-consuming. My car is now due for a claying again and I've noticed there are all these new clay products out there like mitts, towels, and speed clay. I'm sure they all do the job in varying degrees, but I'm hoping someone who has "been there" could let me know what they've found as best? Any recommendation on one of the newer clay products?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is your "go to" clay product nowadays?

Griot's Garage clay towel

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I went full in on Nanoskin Autoscrub a year ago, clay buffing pads, the smaller sponges, clay towels, the works. First candidate was a white 2020 Chevy Blazer badly iron contaminated, what Blackfire Iron Remover couldn't get off chemically, a blue Autoscrub buffing pad on the BEAST with Blackfire Clay Lubricant took care of the rest with ease. I was quite happy with them for awhile, then about four months ago, I was getting ready to correct a car, started to clay it with a blue Autoscrub and it transferred a whole bunch of sticky synthetic clay to the paint surface.

By this time I had already tossed my old traditional clay out, so I had to remove the residue with 3D One and an LC orange pad on the BEAST. I've noticed the other products I had started to have the same extremely tacky feel the buffing pad had when it decided to fail and attempts to use them resulted in the same transfer of material. Not sure what exactly happened, we always kept them stored in a sealed container when not in use, cleaned them with clay lube and water only. Your mileage may vary, but it cost me enough of my time that day that I switched back to traditional clay.

4. Thanks JPW thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had good results using the Blackfire Clay Mitt (fine grade) and now the Nano (fine grade) since BF doesn’t offer the fine grade anymore. I use it on my black Acura that has fairly soft paint. I’ll recently used it on my wife X3 with some success but it took a little more elbow grease since her paint is a lot harder.

I had to replace the BF because I left it in the hot garage and it was sticking to case pretty bad, I now keep under the sink in the kitchen!!

Prior to using, I always “wash” the windows before hitting the paint to make sure it doesn’t have any build up.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

6. Likes JPW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought an el cheapo on eBay for <$15 from China. It worksl.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Sonax clay disc, but also an assortment of yellow, gray, and black traditional clay. The gray and black clay only come out when things are really bad, or windshields.

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

I taught a class at MTE this year on detailing clay and clay substitutes.

The reason I chose this topic is because sometimes nothing beats traditional clay, at least when it comes to removing overspray paint.

So here's what I use depending upon the car and the paint and the problem.

1: Pinnacle ULTRA FINE detailing clay - cars with soft paint, PPF film and vinyl graphics - Just showed this in a new video.

2: Clay towel - most projects except cars with soft paint, PPF film and vinyl graphics - it's simply faster and convenient.

3: Aggressive Clay - Meguiar's or 3M - for tightly bonded overspray paint.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. No pun intended.

10. Thanks obguam thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been a traditional clay person for a long time. I tried the Nanoskin pads but had a bad experience with heavy marring, so I went back to clay. I really felt the clay did a better job anyway.

What intrigues me now are the mits. I like the fact they can be used at the same time as I'm washing and now that I keep my cars well maintained the heavy duty cleanse of a clay isn't needed as badly. My only concern is to not face the same marring issues I had with the Nanoskins.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Likes dwaleke, TrustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mothers Speed Clay Block 2.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

14. Thanks cdnrod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on what im up against its generally the Nanoskin discs driven by my 3401 and the Nanoskin hand pads for the areas the disc cant reach.

If im up against overspray or heavy bonded contaminants its the red aggressive clay from Meguiar's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast