autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Does PPF protect against UV?

Does PPF protect against UV? I have a car that is quite thin clear coat in certain areas (particularly the hood) and I’ve heard that most of the UV protection in clear is found in the top 1/3 portion or so. As such, I’m afraid the clear may fail prematurely in these areas.

Im curious as to whether PPF typically has any UV protectant features. My sense is “no”, and that a ceramic coating would be better for this particular purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does PPF protect against UV?

Actually, depends on the right kind of PPF yes they do protect against UV.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Actually, depends on the right kind of PPF yes they do protect against UV.
    I’m thinking Xpel Ultimate/Ultimate Plus. I don’t see anything on Xpel’s website about UV protection so I’m thinking it’s not a feature their PPF has...

Post Thanks / Like

They don't yellow for at least 10 years, so that would be a UV protection feature.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

5. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    They don't yellow for at least 10 years, so that would be a UV protection feature.
    Hmm.. would it be safe to assume that the films provide UV protection for the paint and clearcoat then?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. That's why it yellows. It's absorbing the UV A/B into the PPF itself.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedan View Post
    Does PPF protect against UV? I have a car that is quite thin clear coat in certain areas (particularly the hood) and I’ve heard that most of the UV protection in clear is found in the top 1/3 portion or so. As such, I’m afraid the clear may fail prematurely in these areas.

Im curious as to whether PPF typically has any UV protectant features. My sense is “no”, and that a ceramic coating would be better for this particular purpose.
    I run PPF on both of my cars, not for the UV but for reducing the damage to the surface of the hood and frontal zones.
    My first product did yellow earlier than it should have and Suntek replace the entire job with another dealer. While it was being updated, I did do a full hood but had them use their Expel product. Both brands now offered with a 10-year no yellowing warranty.

Even if you have thin coat of clear why do you think it is thinner on some sections? The upper layer will be the UV protection no matter how thick. Now most modern cars are already at the lowest level of clear coat they can cheaply apply. That is why it is important to minimize any paint correction to PRESERVE the clear coat. You paint has no UV protection and without the clear coat, it has no shine!

Keep it protected and as to a coating, most shops will apply the ceramic over the PPF film. Did mine now twice, this time using Gtechniq HALO and it looks great.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    I run PPF on both of my cars, not for the UV but for reducing the damage to the surface of the hood and frontal zones.
    My first product did yellow earlier than it should have and Suntek replace the entire job with another dealer. While it was being updated, I did do a full hood but had them use their Expel product. Both brands now offered with a 10-year no yellowing warranty.

Even if you have thin coat of clear why do you think it is thinner on some sections? The upper layer will be the UV protection no matter how thick. Now most modern cars are already at the lowest level of clear coat they can cheaply apply. That is why it is important to minimize any paint correction to PRESERVE the clear coat. You paint has no UV protection and without the clear coat, it has no shine!

Keep it protected and as to a coating, most shops will apply the ceramic over the PPF film. Did mine now twice, this time using Gtechniq HALO and it looks great.
    A couple small sections of my hood have been previously wet-sanded and I'm not quite sure how aggressive the detailer was in doing so. There is definitely clear coat remaining, but I would rather err on the side safety and protect the remaining clear as best as I can (as I'm planning on keeping this car for 10+ years if everything goes to plan).

I think a PPF + ceramic would be the best combo, but I was just curious as to whether PPF alone provides some UV protection, as I've read differing thoughts on this. Some have said that PPF intentionally does not provide UV protection so as to ensure even fading of the paint with panels that are not protected by the PPF.

Post Thanks / Like

•I’ll go out on a limb and say that:

-Besides providing excellent paint protection
    from an assortment of projectiles; as well as
    from a host of environmental and man-made
    contaminates;
    -Today’s PPFs help to appreciably reduce
    oxidization from exposure to UV-rays.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedan View Post
    A couple small sections of my hood have been previously wet-sanded and I'm not quite sure how aggressive the detailer was in doing so. There is definitely clear coat remaining, but I would rather err on the side safety and protect the remaining clear as best as I can (as I'm planning on keeping this car for 10+ years if everything goes to plan).

I think a PPF + ceramic would be the best combo, but I was just curious as to whether PPF alone provides some UV protection, as I've read differing thoughts on this. Some have said that PPF intentionally does not provide UV protection so as to ensure even fading of the paint with panels that are not protected by the PPF.
    I see your concern then without knowing the amount of clear coat removed. Use some sort of protection that does have a UV-function. Some waxes and sealant do have UV protection as well as modern SiO2 or TiO2 products. Do you have access to a body shop? They might be able to give you a reading of the overall thickness to see if the wet sand was very aggressive. They too might have suggestions on how to help you in those sections.

Check the PPF installer and get the manufacturer's warranty as to UV-protection. PPF is going to cost plus doing any coating will thus double your out of pocket expense unless you apply the coating yourself. Your paint color layer should not fade as long as you keep it protected. My 2008 Camry with Barcelona Red is still great even with some wet sanding and NO PPF. Keep it protected!

Hope you find a good solution and enjoy the car for many years!