autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys I need some help and insight regarding polishing with Meguiar’s Scratch X 2.0

So I have a 1991 Mustang that has original paint. Today while washing it I noticed some micro scratches, so I took some Meguar’s Scratch X 2.0 and polished them out by hand with a microfiber. It worked great but it also took the paint from looking like it had tons of layers of water spots and fading, to being so much brighter, shiny, smooth, etc. My intention was just to polish out the scratches, but it seems this went a step too far. I ended up doing the whole test panel to make it uniform, and the paint looks so much brighter and just much better overall. It also left a little red paint on the applicator, so unless it burned straight through the clear, I guess that means I have single stage paint?

My questions are:

Did I ruin anything? I’ve only done one panel and half of another and I’m afraid to do anything else. What should I do now? Will a paint correction fix this? How should I proceed?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guys I need some help and insight regarding polishing with Meguiar’s Scratch X 2.0

Basically you cleaned up one panel of the car and it looks much better than the other parts of you car. Your car just might be single stage. Solution, try using a cleaner wax and working it into another panel. Or might be time to get a polisher and do the rest of your car.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guys I need some help and insight regarding polishing with Meguiar’s Scratch X 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Basically you cleaned up one panel of the car and it looks much better than the other parts of you car. Your car just might be single stage. Solution, try using a cleaner wax and working it into another panel. Or might be time to get a polisher and do the rest of your car.

I appreciate the response. I plan on doing a professional paint correction soon. Any way this would interfere with that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheZ06andFoxbody View Post
    I appreciate the response. I plan on doing a professional paint correction soon. Any way this would interfere with that?
    Are you doing the correction yourself?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Are you doing the correction yourself?
    Nope, I am having it done professionally by a local guy who has 30 years experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheZ06andFoxbody View Post
    Nope, I am having it done professionally by a local guy who has 30 years experience.
    Ok.

Using the Megs will have no negative effects on what he is going to do.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.