autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon Cancoat vs Wolfgang Ceramic Spray Coating

Hi everybody,
    I know there have been a lot of comparisons but I haven't seen any direct comparison on these 2 good products.

1) which one is more hydrophobic?
    2) how they compare on gloss and shine?
    3) Cancoat claims 6 months without any topper but Ive heard people say that it can go up to 8 maybe 9 months, even longer if it is maintained with Cure. Wolfgang claims 1 year, no idea if it will hold that long or if can go pass that, what you guys think?
    4) Gyeon says they put over 10% SiO2, Wolfgang don't say how much, if applied with a microfiber applicator I know this applicator needs to be thrown away on both products, but, the leveling towels needs to be also thrown away or if they are machine washed can they be saved?
    5) If Carpro Essense o Gyeon Prime is use before the application, can this really help with durability or no difference than use something like Sonax PF?

Thanks for your help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gyeon Cancoat vs Wolfgang Ceramic Spray Coating

I will start off by saying that I have not used the wolfgang ceramic spray coating and I have no intention of using it. I will give you my take on CanCoat though.

Quote Originally Posted by gorillapr View Post
    1) which one is more hydrophobic?
    [/URL]
    Based on what I have seen on Wxmode's channel and my experience with CanCoat, CanCoat has it beat in hydrophobics.

2) how they compare on gloss and shine?
    Most of the gloss and shine will come from the polishing step. These products are just icing on the cake.

H
    3) Cancoat claims 6 months without any topper but Ive heard people say that it can go up to 8 maybe 9 months, even longer if it is maintained with Cure. Wolfgang claims 1 year, no idea if it will hold that long or if can go pass that, what you guys think?
    If maintained, CanCoat like any other product will certainly last long but it will last longer than the claimed 6 months. Gyeon seems to be a bit conservative with this claim in my opinion. Some of us have seen a year or more in it's overall performance. I have seen it go as long as 15 months.

4) Gyeon says they put over 10% SiO2, Wolfgang don't say how much, if applied with a microfiber applicator I know this applicator needs to be thrown away on both products, but, the leveling towels needs to be also thrown away or if they are machine washed can they be saved?
    I recall budgetplan finding information from Gyeon that the amount of SiO2 is closer to the 20-30% range. Whatever applicator is used should be tossed. Any type of applicator I have used has hardened with coating. No amount of washing or soaking was able to save it. Some like to try and save their towels by putting them in a bucket of water and APC to soak them after use and then wash them separately. I have done this with both APC and micro restore and in some cases the towels still come up a bit crunchy.

5) If Carpro Essense o Gyeon Prime is use before the application, can this really help with durability or no difference than use something like Sonax PF?
    [/URL]
    I have used CanCoat with Gyeon Primer Polish and each time it has performed over a year. Would I have gotten the same performance with a standard polish? Perhaps. I was testing Primer at the time I used it and I just continued to use it with CanCoat. Is a primer polish required? Absolutely not. You can use the polish of your choice.

I like to say that the Gyeon Primer + CanCoat + Cure is Gyeon's triple threat.

3. Thanks gorillapr, oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes gorillapr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz.

I think I missed to mention as part of question number 4, if Cancoat isn't maintained do you think it will hold the 6 months. I know part of this depends on the wash schedule and the environment the paint is.

Can I also ask why you dont plan to use Wolfgang?

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz.

I think I missed to mention as part of question number 4, if Cancoat isn't maintained do you think it will hold the 6 months. I know part of this depends on the wash schedule and the environment the paint is.
    I’m not Guz, but I can speak for northeast US and say yes, I think Cancoat would last 6 months without maintaining, unless perhaps it went through the bulk of a rough wi yet (which did not happen this year).

Also, I have only used Cancoat on Essence as well as many other ceramic spray products and I feel all of them get their usual durability or better on top of Essence. I’ve never seen Essence hurting the longevity of what is on top.

Finally, I don’t see WG Ceramic Spray Coating lasting anything near a year on a daily driver. It’s totally different than Cancoat in that it’s a joy to apply, but should be applied often (every month I would suggest) for maximum performance. Cancoat is set it and forget it for at least 6 months.
    Loach and I talked about this in his WG Ceramic Coating Spray thread a few days ago.

6. Thanks gorillapr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great point acuRA!

I ran out of my Last Coat v2 and Im figuring out what to install now. I thought Cancoat dont need to toss the towels, on paper if I need to toss the towels I would think Carpro Cquartz Lite should have better hydrophobics and durability than Cancoat, again, on paper because I have never used any of them.

I was trying to look for an SiO2 based product that you dont need to throw away the towels but still could give 6 months and amazing hydrophobics. Apparently that is impossible to find.

Another option was polish with Essence and top it with Reload or Cure but after the 6 month mark I dont want to end up polishing again.

I want to polish once and then exfoliate whenever is needed but not as often as every 6 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz.

Can I also ask why you dont plan to use Wolfgang?

Thanks again

I will be up front and honest. It does not look that impressive to me based on what I have seen and knowing my personal experience with CanCoat to even consider it as a must have product.

CanCoat could last 6 months but too many variables to consider if not maintained (ie washing, decon, etc..).

Great point acuRA!

I ran out of my Last Coat v2 and Im figuring out what to install now. I thought Cancoat dont need to toss the towels, on paper if I need to toss the towels I would think Carpro Cquartz Lite should have better hydrophobics and durability than Cancoat, again, on paper because I have never used any of them.

I was trying to look for an SiO2 based product that you dont need to throw away the towels but still could give 6 months and amazing hydrophobics. Apparently that is impossible to find.

Another option was polish with Essence and top it with Reload or Cure but after the 6 month mark I dont want to end up polishing again.

I want to polish once and then exfoliate whenever is needed but not as often as every 6 months.

Just pick up any of the the SiO2 spray sealants. They are mostly polymers anyway. Eventually they will kill your towels over a period of time just like a spray wax does. You will find yourself using them more often as they don't last long. Especially the two you listed. They will not net you 6 months that is for sure. But who cares. Hit it with a reapplication a month later and move on.

9. Thanks gorillapr thanked for this post
    Likes gorillapr, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great point acuRA!

IGL Premier could get you quite a few months without hurting your towels. Same with Cosmic, Viking, Feynlab has one, Wowo’s has one now that I just started testing. You may not get a full 6 months with zero maintenance but you should get 3-5 and with little maintenance, maybe 4-6. You can continue to apply these on themselves, maybe with just a deep clean (iron-x, prep wash or spray) without polishing. I would polish once a year. Use Cancoat or whatever Spray Sealant you choose and re-apply as needed for a year. Maybe do the iron-x application at the 6 month mark, particularly if going with Cancoat. This is only a feeling and not a fact: I believe that the LSPs that don’t last as long will take many contaminants with them. Long lasting products like Cancoat won’t disappear with the contaminants (because it lasts long) and therefore it should be hot with iron, tar, prep wash on occasion, particularly before reapplying.

But Guz is the Cancoat expert so ultimately listen to him about Cancoat details.

11. Thanks gorillapr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    You can continue to apply these on themselves, maybe with just a deep clean (iron-x, prep wash or spray) without polishing. I would polish once a year..
    Note above... if you’ve already done a heavy correction to your car once and follow good washing habits, when you do polish, say yearly, it should only be a 1-step, quicker affair since you’ll be removing minor swirls, in theory.

13. Thanks gorillapr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate both opinions guys, I also found this interesting video

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking doing a 1 step with the Griots G9 and Im still deciding between Perfect Finish or Cut and Finish with a UroFiber 50/50 on VW paint with moderate swirls. Is my daily so I dont need perfection but the best possible outcome of a 1 step.
    Essence/Primer I would think dont have enough abbrasive power

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast