autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brand New Car, want a ceramic coating on it (I think). Which one?

Hey all. Just bought a (basically) brand new Silver Kia Forte. (Only 6500k miles, used). Trying to make this car last as long as possible. 200k miles If I can. I am a paint fanatic (I want my car to look good!), But yeah, I know, it's only a Kia forte. Gotta take care of and love what you have, right? I live in Ohio, near Canada and the winters are killer. And much of spring is dirty slush and Mud. The paint is perfect. Not a dent, not @ scratch, no swirls! Not even going to try to paint correct right now at all. I'm going to save any clear coat for the future. I may, at most, polish by hand after washing. Now. I've always waxed cars. But living in dirty cold ohio, those ceramic coatings are looking tempting. I'm more than willing to pay the $120 for wolfgang or any other high end brand so long as I can apply it myself and make it look great. I just want my paint to look as good as possible while being protected as fiercly as possible (from rust, stone chips, etc, which happen every day here!).

Sorry for the length, but do you guys have any recommendations? What would you seal with and how long should it last? I've used chemical guys jet seal before but that's only going to stay good for 6 months. Which is fine, I can reseal every 6 months, but I also want the best, most durable coating that also looks good. I just paid 13k, $120 is nothing to protect that and now is the time to do it when the paint is perfect!

Mike Phillips

Re: Brand New Car, want a ceramic coating on it (I think). Which one?

Just approved this post. For some reason it was in the Moderation Queue

Also took the liberty to BREAK UP you huge chunk of text to make it easier to read. I'm not sure why, but so many people when typing out a post don't ever hit the old [ENTER] key.

As to your questions, "yes" look into a ceramic coating for longer lasting protection plus faster washing and drying, even self-cleaning when it rains.

I parked my car outside today for the storm going over us and she looks all clean and purty.

I would also recommend finally making the jump to machine polishing. You'll get so much better results.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just approved this post. For some reason it was in the Moderation Queue

Also took the liberty to BREAK UP you huge chunk of text to make it easier to read. I'm not sure why, but so many people when typing out a post don't ever hit the old [ENTER] key.

As to your questions, "yes" look into a ceramic coating for longer lasting protection plus faster washing and drying, even self-cleaning when it rains.

I parked my car outside today for the storm going over us and she looks all clean and purty.

I would also recommend finally making the jump to machine polishing. You'll get so much better results.

Sorry about the paragraphs, I'll watch that from now on.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think I should try for a more permanent (4 year) ceramic coating or more like halfway between a sealant and a ceramic (like maybe something siO2) that lasts maybe a year?

Also, I just detailed a car (that I don't care about) fully with a rotary. It looked fantastic overall...except for all the holograms on the black paint! First time with a rotary (harbor freight).

This car, I care about. I am thinking the Griots G9 would be a good option for this one, and then maybe a mini DA or RO for edges and details. I would like a nice rupes DA but $450 is a lot. I would also love to learn the rotary better but I just don't think this is the car to practice on.

Also just need to get starting thinking on product selection (for sealant/coating) and don't know where to start.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest if you want to go full on ceramic coating, machine polishing is a must. The griots g9 is a good option for you. Get s lot of pad, mix of white and orange ones amd you should be good to go. Kia doesnt really require anything more aggressive. Get good polishing liquids. 3D, sonax, are good options. I prefer water based liquids just because of easier clean up. Rupes and Menzerna liquids are good as well but too oily for my tastes. You need a good paint prep spray like CarPro Eraser. You can use other ones, I just prefer Eraser.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you think about meguiars ultimate polish (not compound, polish)? Less cut than UC, available everywhere for $10. Might even follow up with an even finer glaze for that beauty. Then coat. Decent idea?

Post Thanks / Like

Why glaze? You'd have to remove it with a panel prep before coating it.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by planestrainsandcars View Post
    Sorry about the paragraphs, I'll watch that from now on.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think I should try for a more permanent (4 year) ceramic coating or more like halfway between a sealant and a ceramic (like maybe something siO2) that lasts maybe a year?

Also, I just detailed a car (that I don't care about) fully with a rotary. It looked fantastic overall...except for all the holograms on the black paint! First time with a rotary (harbor freight).

This car, I care about. I am thinking the Griots G9 would be a good option for this one, and then maybe a mini DA or RO for edges and details. I would like a nice rupes DA but $450 is a lot. I would also love to learn the rotary better but I just don't think this is the car to practice on.

Also just need to get starting thinking on product selection (for sealant/coating) and don't know where to start.
    Don't buy into those long claims. If you are in a harsh condition, expect to be repolishing and reapplying in the spring as harsh conditions take a toll on a coating.

Can you apply a coating to unpolished paint and unprepped? Sure it can be done. Just don't expect maximum performance from an unprepped surface. I see the car has 65k miles on it. With that many miles I expect it to have some defects as the previous owner probably didn't care for it unless he was OCD about getting his paint dialed in. The benefit of silver is that it hides defects very well. So I am sure they are there under the proper lighting.

Get yourself a dual action polisher. It does not have to be a Rupes right off the bat. Get yourself some pads and some good products. You don't have to compound but at least a polish will suffice. Don't forget to chemically decontaminate the paint and mechanically decontaminate prior to polishing. The most important thing is to get a good panel wipe to endure the surface is clean. And I mean something other than IPA.

And no glazes are needed. You will need to remove that anyway.

Check into Gyeon CanCoat or Cquartz Lite. Both are good entry level coatings.

8. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"If", the paint is as good as you say, no swirls to be found (which is rare on a used buy) then yes, a coating could be applied without polishing, claying, iron removers and so forth. But are you actually 100% sure of this?

Keep in mind with a very durable Coating, let's say from Carpro, you'll be hitting "freeze frame" upon that Paint, and will have to live with what's under that coating until it 1, either wears off, or 2, is polished off to strip the Coating.

Try this: After a wash, and dry, try the "Plastic Baggie Test". Find yourself a thin Plastic Sandwich Bag, place your hand inside of it, and feel the paint on different Panels and even all the Glass. That will tell the tale if any above surface contaminants are on the paint?

Usually, for almost any vehicle, there can likely be Iron Contaminants on-in the Paint Finish. It would practically have to be a vehicle straight out of a paint booth, and taken covered to a garage not to have such to some degree.

If a need of Claying and/or Iron Removers is needed because of such found contaminants, most would say it is quite hard not to instill some small degree of marring into the paint even with the most gentlest of Clays.

If you're serious about going into a good D/A Machine, yes the new Griots G9 appears to be a mighty fine machine. Figure with Pads, you'll be looking about at least $200-$225 right there, and likely more. Even for a small car such as yours, you should have minimum 4 White LC Pads, and 5-6 is even better to have on hand.

Coating with say a good Coating, such as Carpro Cquartz UK which is very durable, you will need to use a panel prep product after all washing, decon and polishing processes are done. In the Carpro Line-Up, that Panel-Prep Product is called "Eraser". This product will help insure proper bonding of the Coating, and as well eliminate Coating installation problems because of improper bonding occurring, which it can without proper prep.

There's other factors that would influence the need of a Ceramic Coating as a choice versus other protectant products. Let's say you have a garage, and the ability to heat it occasionally during the winter months?

Then you could apply protectants during winter if desired.

Coatings are without problems either, many can be prone to water spotting as well as other products, and one usually uses some "sacrificial topper product" on them . One commone one would be Carpro Reload, and there are numerous others made today which would also be suitable.

Other options much less expensive could/would be a good Hybrid Wax-Sealant instead. Such could be Collinite #476 Super Doublecoat Paste Wax. It is a fine product.

Sure, you can use a Polish such as the Meguiars you mention, it is a very good product and can be used by hand as well as machine. Will amp Gloss, clean the paint, and help remove some nasties that might be on the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Don't buy into those long claims. If you are in a harsh condition, expect to be repolishing and reapplying in the spring as harsh conditions take a toll on a coating.

Can you apply a coating to unpolished paint and unprepped? Sure it can be done. Just don't expect maximum performance from an unprepped surface. I see the car has 65k miles on it. With that many miles I expect it to have some defects as the previous owner probably didn't care for it unless he was OCD about getting his paint dialed in. The benefit of silver is that it hides defects very well. So I am sure they are there under the proper lighting.

Get yourself a dual action polisher. It does not have to be a Rupes right off the bat. Get yourself some pads and some good products. You don't have to compound but at least a polish will suffice. Don't forget to chemically decontaminate the paint and mechanically decontaminate prior to polishing. The most important thing is to get a good panel wipe to endure the surface is clean. And I mean something other than IPA.

And no glazes are needed. You will need to remove that anyway.

Check into Gyeon CanCoat or Cquartz Lite. Both are good entry level coatings.
    From the OP, it's actually got over 6 million (6500k) miles!!! Assuming that should be 6500 miles, I still agree that it probably has some small defects/swirls that are masked because of the color. I also agree about not believing the longevity claims. No way any coating is going four years on a daily driver in the salt belt, at least nothing consumer grade.

As someone who also lives where the winters can be long and nasty I think a good sealant is just about as good as a coating. The main benefit of the coating is the ease of cleaning/self cleaning characteristics of the coatings. The main drawbacks are the added cost and increased time it takes to apply. I've had good results with WG DGPS on several vehicles and Collinite 476 works awesome on the sled trailer. I've also used Polish Angel Viking Coat with really good results on my truck, but that is getting up close to the price and time of a coating.

11. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDGolden View Post
    Why glaze? You'd have to remove it with a panel prep before coating it.
    Oh, I didn't know this. My understanding was a glaze was just a finer polish; now I know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast