autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Question on paint defects

I am trying to learn as much as I can to better take care of my cars going forward. I have had some good practices in the past, two bucket method, using good products and such but definitely several levels below professional. My new to me car is being treated by a professional to paint correction and coating this weekend. After it is complete, l want to make sure I do my best to keep it looking awesome!

Where I get confused is around touching the paint to apply products. A general guideline seems to be the less you touch the paint the less chance of inducing swirls and other undesirable paint defects. I have also been reading up on maintenance coating products (Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Booster for example). To use this product you need to apply and then wipe off. How does this kind of process not risk causing swirls or scratches? Obviously the car would need to be clean prior to using this product so maybe that is it? Do you only risk causing swirls by touching the paint when it is dirty (so maybe the dirt moving on the paint is causing the scratches and swirls)?

I know the quality of the microfiber towels plays a part but I am just having a hard time reconciling how to apply products such as this and not start accumulating new swirls and scratches.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie Question on paint defects

Welcome to the alyssum. Do you have a black car?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not black

Infiniti Q60 Iridium Blue

Post Thanks / Like

That's one of my dream cars.

The key is to ensure that you have everything clean. Just be careful, be conscious of how and when you touch your paint. The better rule is to never touch your paint dry.

For example, don't swipe a towel over a dusty panel. However, if you spray the area down with a quick detailer/waterless wash, should be no issue at all.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    That's one of my dream cars.

The key is to ensure that you have everything clean. Just be careful, be conscious of how and when you touch your paint. The better rule is to never touch your paint dry.

For example, don't swipe a towel over a dusty panel. However, if you spray the area down with a quick detailer/waterless wash, should be no issue at all.
    Thank you! Funny story about this car, I think I test drove and lusted over this exact car when the dealer had it on their lot in 2017 but I wasn't going to spend $60k. The car ended up being leased and was just turned in. I saw it online before the pictures were even posted and borrowed it for a couple day extended test drive. They never did get pictures to post online since I kept it