autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Keeping birds away from vehicles?

I apologize if this question has been asked many times before, as I bet it has. But there is nothing more infuriating when you spend hours washing and detailing your truck, only to find the next day or even later the same day that a stupid bird or birds did a flyby and dropped bombs on your vehicle.

I was thinking about sticking one of those plastic owls in my driveway to try and prevent them from congregating in the area... has anyone tried an effective deterrent?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keeping birds away from vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliGilly View Post
    I apologize if this question has been asked many times before, as I bet it has. But there is nothing more infuriating when you spend hours washing and detailing your truck, only to find the next day or even later the same day that a stupid bird or birds did a flyby and dropped bombs on your vehicle.

I was thinking about sticking one of those plastic owls in my driveway to try and prevent them from congregating in the area... has anyone tried an effective deterrent?
    Yeah, its called a garage. All kidding aside, maybe a tent..they do make some awesome looking covers these days. It's like having a car port in your driveway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliGilly View Post
    If you are going to try a decoy you should try one of the red tail hawk decoys. Owls hunt at night and other birds know this, whereas the red tail hawk is more of a daytime predator.

For decoys to be effective, you also need to move them around. Birds will notice it if it doesn't move for days.

I have had limited success with the red tail hawk decoys "guarding" our garden ..., some birds avoid them, others aren't even fazed.

The best natural deterrent against birds is another bird, the Blue Jay. They're vicious and very territorial and will kill/run off other birds. Unfortunately there's no good way to attract them and get them to stay in your area all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

The shame of it is that the higher shine on a car seems to attract them more

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I had a problem that birds were sitting on my vehicle and dropping. It was not the big splat but a small dairyqueen cone. I ended up putting a fake snake from the dollar store at night and no more birds. Snakes are a birds enemy so they do not like them. It was a bright orange with spots so does not even really look like a snake but the plastic body does. Worked great for this but not sure of fly byes. lol