autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding a polishing step to my current regimen...

So for 20+ years all I've ever used was Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, 2-3 times a year, and my paint always looked fresh and clearcoat remained intact... all done by hand. I like to keep it simple.

In the last few years, I've obtained a GG DA polisher, and I use BF One Step, followed by PNS, and BSD as my maintenance product every other wash. Right now I apply the PNS directly onto the One Step without a wipe with IPA or similar in between steps... keeping it simple... still great results.

But... There's this other Lexus in my neighborhood that had been detailed and the gloss is C-R-A-Z-Y! Even the stock wheels have crazy shine. It's made me want to step up my game. So I'm thinking that if I add a polishing step to my current routine I can advance my shine to another level.

What would other AGO members recommend to insert between the BF One Step and PNS?
    If I can apply each product without prep in between the steps, that would be my preference. Keeping it simple.

Still have 1/2 of the giant bottle of One Step left so don't want to change up product lines just yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adding a polishing step to my current regimen...

CarPro Essence. Sonax 04/06 3D polish. Renny Doyle Jeweling Envy. any of those will add a nice polishing step

Post Thanks / Like

... and let the research begin.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you set on BSD for gloss? Because the other car might be coated if it has crazy gloss.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

When I saw it the first time after the detail, that was my first thought... it had to be coated.

I will eventually apply a coating but that’s a couple steps up from “simple”.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Problem you have is Blackfire One Step is an all in one with a sealant being laid down. Any polishing after will undo that.

So you either want to use something else before using One Step (3D One or Griots Garage (Fast/) Correcting Cream for example) or use something else in place of One Step.

Any product applied on the paint after polishing is usually short term gloss enhancement. Try to increase the gloss & clarity by polishing before you lay down any protection.

I don't have experience with the finishing ability of Blackfire One Step but I know Griots Garage Perfecting Cream is a great finish polish. Everyone has their preference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    Problem you have is Blackfire One Step is an all in one with a sealant being laid down. Any polishing after will undo that.

So you either want to use something else before using One Step (3D One or Griots Garage (Fast/) Correcting Cream for example) or use something else in place of One Step.

Any product applied on the paint after polishing is usually short term gloss enhancement. Try to increase the gloss & clarity by polishing before you lay down any protection.

I don't have experience with the finishing ability of Blackfire One Step but I know Griots Garage Perfecting Cream is a great finish polish. Everyone has their preference.

Something for me to consider...

I will admit that I’ve probably not spent sufficient time on each panel, moving the polisher too quickly. It’s new paint and it’s silver, so I didn’t feel the need to move slowly like I would on an older darker car. I think after my next wash, I’ll tape a line up the hood and do half with slow deliberate movements using One Step and a black pad.

Maybe I’ll do half the hood and a front fender.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Essence does a pretty nice job on a Lexus actually.

2015 Lexus IS250 Corrected and Coated

Thats mine when I did the polish and coat a few years ago. CarPro Essence on an orange polishing pad seems to work well.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport