autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smoke smell and ozone machine

Good day,

I purchased a vehicle that the dealer used some masking agents to cover up the smoke smell. When I complained he stated he would send it to his detailing guy who would clean out the whole car and then used a smoke canister to sprey through the vehilce which just left a fragrant smell in the vehicle but didn't kill the smoke odor.

I have purchased a Ozone 6000 machine. It doesn't have hose to pump fresh air in but I can put it in the vent window to draw in fresh-air as I've read that's the best way instead of just leaving the machine in the vehicle.

So I have used the ozone machine for 30 minutes, 45 minutes and the last time for 2 hours. After I air out the vehicle the smell is gone but once I leave it for a day sealed up especially in the sun the smell comes back. I'm not sure if its faint smoke or the chemicals they used to clean the seats.

I've heard a Ozone treatment is the best way to treat the vehicle to get rid of the smell. I've also been told not to use Ozone in the vehicle for more then 2 hours?

So my question for someone allot more experience with getting rid of smell in a vehicle. Should I just keep running the ozone machine and if so how long can I run it or is there something else I should add with the ozone machine.

thanks for the help...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smoke smell and ozone machine

Quote Originally Posted by zap16 View Post
    Good day,

I purchased a vehicle that the dealer used some masking agents to cover up the smoke smell. When I complained he stated he would send it to his detailing guy who would clean out the whole car and then used a smoke canister to sprey through the vehilce which just left a fragrant smell in the vehicle but didn't kill the smoke odor.

I have purchased a Ozone 6000 machine. It doesn't have hose to pump fresh air in but I can put it in the vent window to draw in fresh-air as I've read that's the best way instead of just leaving the machine in the vehicle.

So I have used the ozone machine for 30 minutes, 45 minutes and the last time for 2 hours. After I air out the vehicle the smell is gone but once I leave it for a day sealed up especially in the sun the smell comes back. I'm not sure if its faint smoke or the chemicals they used to clean the seats.

I've heard a Ozone treatment is the best way to treat the vehicle to get rid of the smell. I've also been told not to use Ozone in the vehicle for more then 2 hours?

So my question for someone allot more experience with getting rid of smell in a vehicle. Should I just keep running the ozone machine and if so how long can I run it or is there something else I should add with the ozone machine.

thanks for the help...
    I've cleaned a ton of smokey vehicles where I work. The only way to completely remove the smell is to clean absolutely every surface in the vehicle. Cloth surfaces tend to be the primary source of the smell.

I usually run the ozone generator overnight for about 12 hours. Repeat as necessary. This has never let me down, even on cars that smell like ashtrays.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Autogeekonline mobile app

3. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Is there any cleaner you would recommend using better then others to pull out the old stale smoke smell out of the leather and roof area.

And running the ozone machine for 12 hours I assume with freshair is best instead on leaving the machine in the car. And by repeat do you mean for another 12 hours if the stale smell is there. I've read running ozone in a car for more then 2 hours can damage the inside, I assume you've never seen that with your experience.

Once your done the treatment do you let the ozone just sit in the car with it sealed for a while or are u good to air the vehile out?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have cleaned several with really bad smoke odors. I normally use the Ozone Generator after I have cleaned the interior really well. I often hot water extract the seats and carpet and use a APC to gently clean the roof liner. After cleaning really well the Ozone Generator normally works really well. Without a good cleaning the Ozone Generator does not work as well. Hope that helps.

6. Likes SANTA3013 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is running an ozone generator for 12 hours harmful to the vehicle or do others run it longer or shorter for a strong cigarette smell? Thx

Post Thanks / Like

I have not run mine for over an hour ever. I'm not sure if it will damage anything or not but I remember reading when I bought the Ozone Generator that if you leave it in a confined space like a vehicle too long it can discolor the interior. I have never tried it that long to find out. You might check with the manufacture and see their recommendation. The info I got came from the manufacturer of the machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zap16 View Post
    Is running an ozone generator for 12 hours harmful to the vehicle or do others run it longer or shorter for a strong cigarette smell? Thx
    Sorry for late response. It's true ozone degrades things like rubber and plastic. It's highly reactive, however, I have never in my experience seen it cause damage to a vehicle interior. And I just throw it in and shut the door. You want that ozone to concentrate in the interior. Vent it the next day before getting in.

Maybe if you ran it over night every night for weeks at a time you'll see some negative effects. No reason to worry unless you are a smoker and will have to use the ozone multiple times.

As far as cleaning the surfaces in the interior, just pick something you like and use it often. Just need to remove all the nicotine residue from in the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. Is it better to let the Ozone machine pull in fresh air compared to using the air in the vehicle if its sealed up or does it matter.

Post Thanks / Like

The Ozone generator I use pulls outside air in and the ozone is generated through a tube into the car. I read about several before making the purchase. It would make sense that outside air is better than continuing to circulate the dirty air, but maybe someone more up to date on the Ozone Generator can speak on that. Just my thoughts.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok so I placed the ozone machine in the vent window of the truck and sealed it to pull fresh air in. I ran it for 8 hours. It seems a lot better but there is still a stale smell in the truck after is sits over night and in the heat.
    I've noticed the back cab area tends to have a stronger smell then the front which I think is because there is more leather because of the seat. I always noted todays as the truck has air cooled seats and it was a warm day with the air blowing through the seats my clothes had that stale smoke smell to them. I can still run the ozone machine again as I own it but was thinking to do another once over of the carpets with a carpet machine. An APC everyplace else.

I would assume the ozone would pull the smell out of the headliner but what can I do to pull the smell out of the leather seats. The front and back are air cooled and heated so I don't want to wreck them by soaking them with a carpet cleaning machine or is it simply keep running the ozone machine with fresh air until the smell goes away in the seat or is there something I can use on the seats to pull the smell out? Thx.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast