autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to remove scratches from wheels

Good morning AG Family,

I recently had my tires replaced and the individuals who did it removed some stubborn sticky weights on one of my wheels with a sharp object that left a series of scratches in my wheel. I know this may be OCD, but I hate having these unsightly scratches (even though they cannot be seen easily). In any event, can these scratches by removed? If so, what product(s) would you recommend?

Thanks

RG

Mike Phillips

Re: How to remove scratches from wheels

Quote Originally Posted by RocketGirl85 View Post
    Good morning AG Family,

I recently had my tires replaced and the individuals who did it removed some stubborn sticky weights on one of my wheels with a sharp object that left a series of scratches in my wheel. I know this may be OCD, but I hate having these unsightly scratches (even though they cannot be seen easily). In any event, can these scratches by removed? If so, what product(s) would you recommend?

Thanks

RG

I covered this topic in video number #6 towards the end of the video, (I think), when we took questions from the audience.

Complete List of Live Broadcast Videos on YouTube - Yancy Martinez & Mike Phillips

What I said is, the factory paint used on wheels is harder than the paint used on car body panels. As such, it's a lot more difficult to polish by hand or machine.

I would recommend 2 options both using some type of microfiber applicator pad because FIBERS are ABRASIVES and they will give the product you use more bite or polishing ability.

1: Hand apply a compound - Meguiar's Ultimate Compound would be a safe and good product to try and you can always use it on your car. Or any compound you already own.

2: Hand apply a one-step cleaner/wax, also referred to as an AIO or All-in-One. This won't have the abrading ability of a true compound but it should "improve" but probably not "remove" the scratches at least to the point they are less noticeable. Plus, because a cleaner/wax has WAX in it - after you apply and wipe off the paint will now be shiny and protected. With the compound option, there's no protection left behind but it will remove more of the scratches.

That or purchase a RUPES Nano Long Neck and using a microfiber pad and one of the above products, machine polish the scratches. You likely will still not remove the deep scratches but you should be able to remove the shallow scratches and it's a great excuse to spend $600.00 to get the Nano.

Mike Phillips

More....

I cannot find the full LONG NECK Nano kit on the AG store, only the short neck.

You want the long neck. The extra 1" of reach comes in so handy for just about any polishing project and especially wheels.

Here's the link to the RUPES page,

Rupes Polishers, Rupes Big Foot Polishers

You can call Customer Care and ask them where the LONG NECK kit is?

1-800-869-3011

Or work by hand.

Mike Phillips

For what it's worth,

In the video Yancy and I shot, I shared why NORMAL UN-COATED aluminum wheels are the best.

With uncoated aluminum, all that normally happens is you get oxidation. You and I? WE CAN FIX OXIDATION as I demonstrated in the video I referenced above.

All other types of wheels?

Yeah - when something happens to them - 99.9% of us do not have the wherewithal to fix them. We can pay someone to fix them or replace them.

Give me uncoated, polished aluminum wheels any day of the week.