autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can’t seem to get my wheel clean! Any suggestions would be great!

Hey Guys,

Trying to detail my wheels and there’s this dirty looking film I can’t seem to remove. I’ve used many different wheel cleaner strengths and it doesn’t seem to come off. The wheel is a OEM BENZ C450 Wheel. Any idea what I’m looking at?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can’t seem to get my wheel clean! Any suggestions would be great!

-aa040657-1eb6-46f7-ab73-56b2d173e0fc-jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benz4life2020 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Trying to detail my wheels and there’s this dirty looking film I can’t seem to remove. I’ve used many different wheel cleaner strengths and it doesn’t seem to come off. The wheel is a OEM BENZ C450 Wheel. Any idea what I’m looking at?
    What wheel cleaners have you tried? Any pictures?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Guys: Diablo Wheel cleaner, Sig Series Wheel Cleaner, Sticky Citrus Wheel cleaner, Decon Pro decontaminate cleaner, regular car wash soap, ice snow foam soap, tried clay barring it... I took some steal
    wool to a VERY small section of it with some detail spray for lube and it removed it then I used a buffer to remove the scratches and that worked but I don’t wanna do that for all 4 wheels. There has to be a simple way to get this clean...

I posted a close up pic of my wheel on the second post!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a product like IronX, I’d try that and let it sit for 3-5 minutes, agitate with a small brush and pressure wash it off. Could also try Tarminator in the same man or, just make sure to wash off residue with some soap. The other wheel cleaners I would use aren’t sold here so I won’t mention them. Lastly if need be, I’d forgo the steal wool and just polish/compound that gunk away and apply some sort of protection after. Id use either a ceramic coating or at least something like Hydro2. Will definitely help with future cleanings.

6. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

First time poster to the forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Quote Originally Posted by Benz4life2020 View Post

Hey Guys,

Trying to detail my wheels and there’s this dirty looking film I can’t seem to remove.

I’ve used many different wheel cleaner strengths and it doesn’t seem to come off.

The wheel is a OEM BENZ C450 Wheel.

Any idea what I’m looking at?

Here's the picture,

I can't tell from the picture, it's kind of small. Opposite of what most people share on the forum, (humongous pictures)

My guess is what you're trying to clean is not ON the wheel but a stain IN the wheel finish. If that is the case, probably not much you can do outside of replacing or re-finishing.

Can you get a larger picture?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    If you have a product like IronX, I’d try that and let it sit for 3-5 minutes, agitate with a small brush and pressure wash it off. Could also try Tarminator in the same man or, just make sure to wash off residue with some soap. The other wheel cleaners I would use aren’t sold here so I won’t mention them. Lastly if need be, I’d forgo the steal wool and just polish/compound that gunk away and apply some sort of protection after. Id use either a ceramic coating or at least something like Hydro2. Will definitely help with future cleanings.
    I second IronX. If that doesn't work, Meg's Wheel Brightner should clean that up. Very toxic chemical, so be careful while using it.

Mike Phillips

This is a better picture, now I can see what looks like a "film" on the wheel.

I still can't tell if it's painted or polished?

Maybe try one of the wheel cleaners recommended above and a GREAT brush to agitate the cleaner. See the black Wheel Woolies Wheel Face brush here,

Must Have Wheel Cleaning Brushes that make cleaning wheels fast and easy

Wheel Woolies Boar’s Hair Wheel Brush

The perfect wheel cleaning brush
    This is my favorite wheel cleaning brush. Why? Because the bristle are perfect for effective cleaning. They are stout enough to agitate the wheel cleaner but still flexible enough to bend and flex so the ends of the bristles can get into intricate areas. At the same time they won't scratch so they're safe for any finish.

Not only are the bristles the perfect combination of not to soft or not to stiff but the ends are flagged so they thousands of tips can agitate wheel cleaner in tight cracks, crevices and other wheel designs.

Might also try a simple one-step cleaner/wax by hand, see if you can polish that film off.

10. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure they are painted. I’ll attach a description of the wheel from an official Mercedes parts website.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -80bbbcff-61f0-4fc9-95ff-b1f860852302-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Try a paint polish or cleaner/wax.

Do you normally use a brush when you clean them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast