autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BlackWow

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

BlackWow

Hey all,

I purchased the BlackWow kit sometime last year and recently got around to using it. I used the preWow and then the BlackWow as per the instructions. This is on a 10 year old vehicle with the exterior black plastic pieces around the windshield area to test. Looked great after applied and I only got one coat on because it says to wait at least 4-5 hours to reapply. Well, one day later and the black pieces are back to faded gray and whiteish.

Has anyone had positive experiences with these items? After trying twice, it seems like its expensive and not a great product. Or am I doing something wrong?

Mike Phillips

Re: BlackWow

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo2184 View Post

This is on a 10 year old vehicle with the exterior black plastic pieces around the windshield area to test.

Had the black plastic turned grey after 10 years?

Mike Phillips

My guess is the plastic is past the condition that Black Wow can fix.

At least not without REALLY scrubbing and cleaning the plastic to remove the dead, gray, white oxidized plastic first.

I was asked to teach a class on how to restore plastic trim back in 2012 at Mobile Tech Expo. I really didn't want to teach this class because I already know there is no PASSION for doing this type of work. Sure it's necessary and important but there's ZERO passion.

But as a good employee, I did all the PRE-WORK required to teach and show how to restore OLD FADED PLASTIC by marching out the local salvage yard and GETTING some old faded plastic.

While the tools and products have faded away, (no pun intended), the procedure I show of MACHINE SCRUBBING holds true to today. Simply put, you must remove some of the dead white or gray plastic to reveal fresh black plastic in order for a product like Black Wow to work.

And of course, finding a way to REALLY machine scrub the plastic around wiper arms and blades is going to be really difficult.

Here's my article from 2013

How to restore exterior black plastic trim

Here's a portion from post #19

When trim has been neglected to the point that it is turning white, this is a sign of oxidation and just like car paint in order to restore the original black color you need to safely remove as much of the oxidation as possible.

Machine vs Hand
    Now you can scrub the trim by hand using a brush, a wash mitt or even something more aggressive but here's a way to use a tool you probably already own and let the machine do all the work.

Mike Phillips

I wouldn't say Black Wow wasn't a good product, it's just the plastic you're working on is past the point of no return.

Your best bet now is to STILL find a way to scrub and clean the plastic as thoroughly as you can and then use Solution Finish and basically dye the ugly plastic back to black and THEN use a dressing to pro-actively maintain it often.

Solution Finish is the pigment Carbon Black, milled to the size of a virus. If you can get the old, aged plastic clean enough - it can penetrate into the plastic (to some degree), and lodge itself there - thereby restoring dark black appearance. And Chris West says after this, maintain with a dressing.

When it turns ugly again - repeat the process.

And think about it....

If the thing won't last and look good from the factory, in this case the thing is plastic trim - then nothing you pour out of a bottle is going to be a PERMANENT fix down the road.

I think it's called,

The Second Law of Thermodynamics

Which simply put, everything is in a state of breaking down.

Even you and I.

I wish I had better info for you, but I've been upfront and as honest as I can be when it comes to dealing with this type of car detailing. A lot of people THINK I only like working on old cars. They are wrong. I like working on cars that are EASY to work on.

Old cars have trim made out of,

• Stainless steel
    • Nickel
    • Aluminum
    • Chrome

This kind of trim endures over time and all you have to do to restore it is polish it.

In the great wisdom of all new car manufacturers, they use UGLY CHEAP PLASTIC for trim and then we all get to experience the problem you've shared here today.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Had the black plastic turned grey after 10 years?

Thanks for the in-depth replies. I wish I would have known this info before purchasing the items. I guess I was under the impression that it was to fix the years of degradation with this product, without actually looking more into restoring exterior pieces.

What brush tip do you recommend to use?

Post Thanks / Like

I was gonna post a new thread about my plastic fenderwell on my '02 TransAm and this looks like a good thread to address my issue. The plastic liner has faded to grey. Definately not a good look on a black car.

Any long term solutions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNMIKE46 View Post
    I was gonna post a new thread about my plastic fenderwell on my '02 TransAm and this looks like a good thread to address my issue. The plastic liner has faded to grey. Definately not a good look on a black car.

Did you read thread #3 by MP?

The one two three punch for bad trim:
    1. Clean with Mothers trim cleaner.
    2. Solution Finish
    3. Top with WETS.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great solution (no pun intended LOL) for my TransAm fender well plastuic, but are there any other less costly fixes? Old fart on social security!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great solution (no pun intended LOL) for my TransAm fender well plastuic, but are there any other less costly fixes? Old fart on social security!!
    Maybe not what you want to hear but Rustoleum black semi-gloss looks pretty good in wheel wells.

Just yesterday I scrubbed a 2011 Outback plastic cladding by hand. I just wanted to clean it good but boy it was a chore.
    In retrospect I should have used my right angle drill and brush attachment.

I had just bought Solution Finish so prep was neccessary. After applying I wanted to protect it and did some Googleing. After reading back and forth from old Autogeek posts I placed an order for DLux.
    Then I read some more posts from Setec Astronomy which made total sense and cancelled the order this morning.
    More reading and found Detail Kitty used Flood Penetrol, so off to the hardware store. Me likey alot and the price is a plus.
    It did take a little Solution Finish off on the rag but not much compared to the amount of plastic on the Subaru.

Guess i will find out how long it lasts compared to WETs which lasts at least 6 months for me

Post Thanks / Like

OK Spaz. So what the heck is Detail Kitty. I googled and all I saw was Cat related. And is the Setec Astronomy what you finally used?

Rustoleum semi gloss PAINT?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast