autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

How to remove tiny flecks of tinsel from carpet?

I have TINY little flecks of tinsel embedded in the floor of my trunk, and i just can't seem to remove them. So far I have tried a reasonably strong vacuum, and a domestic carpet cleaner/extractor, to no avail. If I use tweezers (!), yes, sometimes I will get lucky, but obviously this isn't practical.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mike Phillips

Re: How to remove tiny flecks of tinsel from carpet?

About the only thing I can think of that would work is the Tornador Velocity Vac - one of my favorite interior car detailing tools.

Thing is - you need both a Shop Vac and a large air-compressor.

Interior Detailing - 2 Tips and 2 Tools - SCANGRIP I-View and Tornador ZV-240 Velocity Vac Dry by Mike Phillips

I've used it to remove light beach sand build-up, not heavy sand build-up but I've read where other guys have stated that the above set-up is the best thing they've found to remove sand out of carpet.

My thinking is - if it will remove sand it will remove tinsel.

3. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Watch this - as painful as it might be....

Mike Phillips - Must have interior detailing tools....

At about the 2:50 time stamp I show the correct technique for using it. It's NOT smooth even strokes like using a vacuum it's what I would call,

The Wild Man Technique

You just go NUTS with it.

5. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Watch this - as painful as it might be....

Mike Phillips - Must have interior detailing tools....

At about the 2:50 time stamp I show the correct technique for using it. It's NOT smooth even strokes like using a vacuum it's what I would call,

The Wild Man Technique

You just go NUTS with it.

I love my Double V! I have the version with the tank but what I do is take the tank off and pinch the hose between my fingers as pictured below. I have had really good luck with just doing a controlled vacuum but also, "going wild". Just whatever technique best fits my situation. This thing REALLY gets the fine dust out of the carpets! I call it the Velocity Vac Dry Extraction Procedure. I definitely recommend dry extraction before using an extractor on the carpets. The Double V makes carpets look AWESOME!!! How to remove tiny flecks of tinsel from carpet? Also I picked up a pair of Matco caliper hooks to hang my Double V on as you can see from the pics below they work great on my shelf and on my cart.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

7. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe try a lint roller ? If you don't have one, just wrap some masking tape around your hand with the adhesive side exposed and then pat/rub over the area with your hand. Sometimes the tack of a lint roller will pull things out of material that even a strong vac won't.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone - much appreciated! I'd LOVE to try that Tornador/Velocity Vac setup, but I don't have the equipment - the most appropriate thing would be to try to find a detailer with that setup. (detailers in Sydney, Australia, please chime in!)

In the meantime, at the suggestion of a local detailer, I have tried painter's "tack cloth" (so basically the same idea as 57Rambler) - this does work, but it's very slow going.

There isn't that much of the stuff - I'm probably being too fussy. (and the only reason I care about this is because I'm a chauffeur - this is my limo)

Mike Phillips

Another option wold be to use an air squirter.

Most detail shops with air compressors have air squirters. Just open all the doors and sand on one side of the Limo and blow or squirt out the carpet on the opposite side.

I just did this with the Tornador Air Blow Out gun to the 1932 Ford interior out in the garage, it's the fast, quick easy way to clean an interior.