autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem with Sonax Polymer Netshield - Water Spot

Hello everyone.

Soon I will introduce myself, I am from Brazil and I detail in my own cars.
    I am using the Sonax Polymer Netshield sealant but I am having a serious problem with Water Spot.
    See image below.

Right after polishing the car with Menzerna compounds, in the last step I applied the Sonax Polymer Netshield sealant, the car caught 2 rains and practically ruined all the polishing I had done.
    Has anyone had this problem with this sealant?
    The marks do not come out in the wash, I tried to wash twice.
    When I used wax I didn't have these problems.
    I'm thinking of applying a layer of Meguiars NXT over the sealant to help.
    I was very upset with the performance of this sealant.

Mike Phillips

Re: Problem with Sonax Polymer Netshield - Water Spot

And for exactly this type of post - this is why I wrote this article,

What's in the water?

Welcome to AutogeekOnline.net my friend, I remember approving your pending account this morning.

If you recently joined the forum - all pending account approved - spammers removed

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s a pleasure to receive your help Mike.
    I read the article last night.
    The question is, should the sealant have protection against the Water Spot?
    Because with wax I didn't have these problems.
    Are sealants more prone to Water Spot?

However, I also read your post about Sonax Polymer Netshield, many people like it.
    Maybe it's a problem with my region right?
    Because of acid rain.

Here in Brazil we don’t have these American irrigation systems, so it was not a problem with this type of water.
    Thank you very much for validating my account

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by D4100 View Post

Hello everyone.

Soon I will introduce myself, I am from Brazil and I detail in my own cars.
    Sad to say, due to the Chinese Coronovirus, I won't be coming to Brazil this year. I was scheduled to teach 2 days of classes at the Detailer Fest.

I am using the Sonax Polymer Netshield sealant but I am having a serious problem with Water Spot.
    This is a REALLY nice product. And "yes" it does create high surface tension that results in water beading. Every time I'm on this forum, Facebook or Instagram I see everyone LOVES WATER BEADING.

The problem is water beading leads to water spotting but,

Perception is reality and everyone LOVES water beading!

[QUOTE=D4100;1676803]

Right after polishing the car with Menzerna compounds, in the last step I applied the Sonax Polymer Netshield sealant, the car caught 2 rains and practically ruined all the polishing I had done.
    Has anyone had this problem with this sealant?

The problem is going to happen with ANY product that created surface tension or in other words water beading.

And you have to wonder?

What's in the water?

The marks do not come out in the wash, I tried to wash twice.
    My guess is that whatever is IN the water is corrosive enough to not only ETCH through the SONAX but corrosive enough to ETCH the URETHANE paint that's on your car. Ouch. We have this problem in the United States too, just depends on where a person lives and what's in the water where they live.

When I used wax I didn't have these problems.
    Might want to go back to wax then.

I'm thinking of applying a layer of Meguiars NXT over the sealant to help.
    I wrote the Concept for NXT Tech Wax when I was at Meguiar's and wrote the "Zaino Case Study" in 2003. In this report I outlined the "problems" for Meguiar's trying to compete against Zaino in the ONLINE world for forums, (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and twitter had not yet been INVENTED), and then on page 31, from my background from working for Hewlett-Packard, I outlined the SOLUTION and the solution I recommended was for Meguiar's to come out with a product that did not contain,

1: Carnauba
    2: Cleaners or Abrasives

Until NXT Tech Wax was introduced in 2004 - EVERY LSP Meguiar's made had either cleaners or carnauba in it. They had no dedicated non-cleaning synthetic product. They had M20 Polymer Sealant but it contained a CLEANER in it. There's a little

Car Wax History

I was very upset with the performance of this sealant.
    Well it did what it's supposed to do, my guess is the problem is there's something in the water.

If you contact your SONAX distrubuter on Brazil, maybe they will give you a refund. SONAX is an upstanding company and my guess is all their distributors are also top notch.

5. Thanks D4100 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

It’s a pleasure to receive your help Mike.
    I read the article last night.
    The question is, should the sealant have protection against the Water Spot?
    This SONAX sealant is very good.

The problem is - whatever is in the water is CORROSIVE enough to eat or etch into it and probably through it.

Because with wax I didn't have these problems.
    I think this is your answer then - go back to the wax you were using.

Are sealants more prone to Water Spot?
    I think anything that creates water beading, this means all these great new coatings that offer GREAT HYDROPHOBIC characteristics are going to also create water spotting in places where there's something corrosive in the water.

It could be that some coatings, the "material" that makes-up the coating my be chemical resistant enough to block and stop the corrosive stuff in the water - therefor the coating may create great water beading but not experience the kind of damage you've shared in your picture.

However, I also read your post about Sonax Polymer Netshield, many people like it.
    You probably mean this article,

SONAX Polymer Net Shield - Closest thing to a coating without being a coating

And "yes" it is a very cool product - for most people.

You're finding out the hard way it's not right for you or your car's paint or your environment. Sometimes the only way to find this stuff out is by "doing".

Maybe it's a problem with my region right?
    Because of acid rain.
    This would be my guess.

Here in Brazil we don’t have these American irrigation systems, so it was not a problem with this type of water.
    Copy that. Here in the U.S.A we have something most other countries don't have, the EPA. While I think they have been politicized for nefarious reasons, their ORIGINAL intent was for good and they still do much good like keep our water clean, be it water we drink or water that is used in any other manner like for watering lawns.

Thank you very much for validating my account
    No problemo - I do this every day and throughout every day. IF a person joins on a Sunday after the morning, then I might not get to it until Monday starts.

I have to push away from the keyboard and by this I mean the forum at some point each week as it's not healthy to work 7-days a week. Been there, done that led to a bad family life.

7. Thanks D4100 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Sad to say, due to the Chinese Coronovirus, I won't be coming to Brazil this year. I was scheduled to teach 2 days of classes at the Detailer Fest.
    Oh this is very sad, the Coronavirus here is very complicated, unfortunately.

This is a REALLY nice product. And "yes" it does create high surface tension that results in water beading. Every time I'm on this forum, Facebook or Instagram I see everyone LOVES WATER BEADING.

The problem is water beading leads to water spotting but,

Perception is reality and everyone LOVES water beading!
    hahahaha i understood, really this water that stays on the surface, if it is contaminated the result will be disastrous

Might want to go back to wax then.
    I will try to apply the NXT just above the sealant, then go back and post if I had problems again

I wrote the Concept for NXT Tech Wax when I was at Meguiar's and wrote the "Zaino Case Study" in 2003. In this report I outlined the "problems" for Meguiar's trying to compete against Zaino in the ONLINE world for forums, (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and twitter had not yet been INVENTED), and then on page 31, from my background from working for Hewlett-Packard, I outlined the SOLUTION and the solution I recommended was for Meguiar's to come out with a product that did not contain,

1: Carnauba
    2: Cleaners or Abrasives

Until NXT Tech Wax was introduced in 2004 - EVERY LSP Meguiar's made had either cleaners or carnauba in it. They had no dedicated non-cleaning synthetic product. They had M20 Polymer Sealant but it contained a CLEANER in it. There's a little

Car Wax History
    Thanks for the brief explanation, I really think NXT is a fantastic product.
    I also have the Ultimate, but I prefer the brightness of NXT

Do you think I would have problems with anchoring the NXT over the sealant?

Well it did what it's supposed to do, my guess is the problem is there's something in the water.

If you contact your SONAX distrubuter on Brazil, maybe they will give you a refund. SONAX is an upstanding company and my guess is all their distributors are also top notch.
    Thanks for the tip, I will contact them too to report these problems.

You probably mean this article,

SONAX Polymer Net Shield - Closest thing to a coating without being a coating

And "yes" it is a very cool product - for most people.

You're finding out the hard way it's not right for you or your car's paint or your environment. Sometimes the only way to find this stuff out is by "doing".
    I agree, sometimes we can only know how the result of a product will be by testing it.

Copy that. Here in the U.S.A we have something most other countries don't have, the EPA. While I think they have been politicized for nefarious reasons, their ORIGINAL intent was for good and they still do much good like keep our water clean, be it water we drink or water that is used in any other manner like for watering lawns.
    Would the EPA be a filtration system at the home's water intake?

I believe that you should also remove the minerals that cause the problems related to Water Spots.

No problemo - I do this every day and throughout every day. IF a person joins on a Sunday after the morning, then I might not get to it until Monday starts.

I have to push away from the keyboard and by this I mean the forum at some point each week as it's not healthy to work 7-days a week. Been there, done that led to a bad family life.

I agree with you, thinking about working 24 hours is not good

Forgive my English, I took classes for a long time, so I can write reasonably, but for some words I still use the translator.

I want to test Collinite 915 wax, but here in Brazil it is not possible to find, will autogeek deliver in Brazil?

They say it's very good