autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sooo....what's wrong with my clear coat?

Quote Originally Posted by TNMIKE46 View Post
    And by the way, Awesome car. Looks like a SS-396. Am I right?
    There was no such thing as a 1967 SS396 Camaro that I'm aware of.

Post Thanks / Like

Your car is a prime candidate for a Ceramic Coating. That will "toughen up the paint" that such a soft paint won't keep getting hammered, even when just taking off a car cover. The question is, "what coating"?

I've used a couple so called coatings, and bought right here, and I didn't think they were any better than a regular sealant, or even a WOWA sealant.

In fact, I thought they were worse. And yeah, one of them was Pinnacle Black Label, cost me an arm and a leg. I'll never buy PBL again. Left me very un-impressed

Go with CQuartz UK, problem solved!

Oh, and if you haven't done such in some time, wash the cover! A dirty cover does cause sleeks and marring.

So, with that said, are you up to the task to again finish polish, prep and coat?

Have a D/A, Pads, the right chemicals? If not, you perhaps should have, and learn to use them.

Post Thanks / Like

Or, you could go the simple route.... Buy a bottle of good glaze. Poor Boys is outstanding (Black Hole). Apply, and finish-top with a good sealant or wax.

Wolfgang 3.0 is good, Collinite is good, I'll take and use either versus PBL!

Colly #845 is very good, #915, or especially #476 is tougher yet.

One question I hadn't asked, how old is the paint? Did they-you perhaps toy with it before full cure-dry time?

Some paint jobs, there's no baking, lights, zero, simply done in somebody's garage is all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAMBO View Post
    Thanks, sounds like you feel the same pain!

I had been using exclusively waterless (and the occasional rinseless) washes after reading Mike's article about best practices in taking care of older cars. Have you had any issues using lots of water on an older car?

Thanks!

All seals are in great shape. Also no pressure washer. Just a garden hose. I will also blow dry so no water sits anywhere. So I haVe had zero issues.
    Jim

5. Likes HAMBO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, sounds like you feel the same pain!

I had been using exclusively waterless (and the occasional rinseless) washes after reading Mike's article about best practices in taking care of older cars. Have you had any issues using lots of water on an older car?

Thanks!
    Using water period on these vintage classics is a mortal sin!

Two Bucket washes, grit guards, foam guns and all that other whacky BS is fine for a newer Korean Hyundai S&ht Box. You do NOT want water going down inside door panels, or anywhere else where it will sit for eons and cause rusting.

Carpro H2O is a very good all purpose waterless wash-detailer. There's many more. Step up your game, this isn't an everyday car.

As I said in an earlier reply, a tough coating might save you tons of grief. But can you apply it, or pay some fly by night hack $700 to do it?

There's an old saying "Too many Chefs spoil the Cake"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNMIKE46 View Post
    And by the way, Awesome car. Looks like a SS-396. Am I right?
    Thanks! Indeed it is, though original motor is long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    There was no such thing as a 1967 SS396 Camaro that I'm aware of.
    Indeed there is, but the 396 was introduced midway through production of the 67s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Using water period on these vintage classics is a mortal sin!

Two Bucket washes, grit guards, foam guns and all that other whacky BS is fine for a newer Korean Hyundai S&ht Box. You do NOT want water going down inside door panels, or anywhere else where it will sit for eons and cause rusting.

Carpro H2O is a very good all purpose waterless wash-detailer. There's many more. Step up your game, this isn't an everyday car.

As I said in an earlier reply, a tough coating might save you tons of grief. But can you apply it, or pay some fly by night hack $700 to do it?

There's an old saying "Too many Chefs spoil the Cake"

Thanks for the perspectives.

Yes, I have CarPro ECH2O, hasn't solved the problem. Per original post car is already ceramic coated, which I had hoped would help, but didn't really do the trick as hoped.

Post Thanks / Like

This seems to be just left over liquid. Try using distilled water and double check the dilution ratios. I'd also suggest doing a final wipe after you WW/RW your car. The streaks of left over lubrication should be just fine if you spritz the towel with a little bit of distilled water.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Indeed it is, though original motor is long gone.

Indeed there is, but the 396 was introduced midway through production of the 67s.
    Sorry for my mis-information, I should know better since I did once own a '68SS396.

Yours then is quite a rare vehicle. Is there still a big block under the hood may I ask?

I'm hoping what you are experiencing is not so much soft paint, but as others have touched upon, possible residues left behind? Your comments though seem to say otherwise.

I know you have mentioned you car had been coated, but I think all who have used various coatings will agree, all are not created equal.

I was not trying to offend either PBMG, or users of certain coatings when I spoke of Pinnacle Black Diamond, or others I've also tried. There's products who have their fans and detractors.

I'll admit many of these spray and wipe coatings hold advantage of ease of use, and how I've also read about more than a few having problems with some coatings like CQuartz. Various application issues with high spots left behind, water spotting, on and on.

But I would say without any revocation, that coatings like CQuartz are some of the most durable consumer available coatings to be had. That a product such as CQ UK does leave behind a very hard top protective layer to any and all paints.

When I first used CQ UK, I was very pleased of the hardness and durability of the coating.

Also sorry about mis-naming CP ECH20. I do have this product on hand and like it.

Post Thanks / Like

So HAMBO, is it a true SS396?? Just curious due to the somewhat rarity of one. Sorry if I'm "beating a dead horse" here LOL.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast