autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Maintain/wash ceramic coated paint

    I did the CQuartz lite coating topped with reload last week. I have different carwash on hand: P&S Pearl shampoo, CG Maxisuds and Meguiars Goldclass. I also have some ONR washNshine on hand. (heard great things about their Big red sponge + ONR they to prevent swirls)

    I just don't want to spend another $30-$40 for no reason on a coating designed carwash if this isn't needed and I won't see any difference.

    I already read that section: How To Maintain Your Coating
    So I know there are designed/dedicated wash products out there for coated surface. I'm just wondering if those products are really required ans worth it, or if a regular carwash soap (2 buckets method) will be ok with coated surface.

    BTW I'll use reload or Ceramic Turtle Wax spray coating to maintain/boost the CQ Lite.

    Thanks for tips/advice

  2. #2
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    47,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Maintain/wash ceramic coated paint

    Here's the tools and techniques I use to wash a coated car regardless of the soap you use.


    How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach


    Note you do see 2 buckets but one is for clean towels and the other for dirty towels.

    That's my 2-bucket method.


    Mike Phillips
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member - Certified Detailer - Skills Validated Detailer - IDA Recognized Trainer
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram
    Mike Phillips Detail Training Credentials
    Sign-up for Mike's Tips & Techniques Newsletter


  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Maintain/wash ceramic coated paint

    Oh thanks Mike. Tremendous.

    So lots of clean/inspected MF towels (one per panel). Any thoughts about using ONR or let's say Gold Class/Pearl Shampoo instead of a wash designed for coating?

  4. #4
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    47,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Maintain/wash ceramic coated paint

    Quote Originally Posted by Polochon View Post

    Oh thanks Mike. Tremendous.

    So lots of clean/inspected MF towels (one per panel).
    More towels = safer


    Quote Originally Posted by Polochon View Post

    Any thoughts about using ONR or let's say Gold Class/Pearl Shampoo instead of a wash designed for coating?
    It's not a deal breaker.

    I'm of the thought,

    A coating wash that adds nothing just cleans

    A coating wash that adds Si02 as a booster/maintenance pro-active regimen.


    Whatever you use, washing frequently but CAREFULLY is the best option as you're keeping loose dirt and road film from building-up.




    Mike Phillips
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member - Certified Detailer - Skills Validated Detailer - IDA Recognized Trainer
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram
    Mike Phillips Detail Training Credentials
    Sign-up for Mike's Tips & Techniques Newsletter


  5. #5
    Senior Member The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    6,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Maintain/wash ceramic coated paint

    Quote Originally Posted by Polochon View Post
    I did the CQuartz lite coating topped with reload last week. I have different carwash on hand: P&S Pearl shampoo, CG Maxisuds and Meguiars Goldclass. I also have some ONR washNshine on hand. (heard great things about their Big red sponge + ONR they to prevent swirls)

    I just don't want to spend another $30-$40 for no reason on a coating designed carwash if this isn't needed and I won't see any difference.

    I already read that section: How To Maintain Your Coating
    So I know there are designed/dedicated wash products out there for coated surface. I'm just wondering if those products are really required ans worth it, or if a regular carwash soap (2 buckets method) will be ok with coated surface.

    BTW I'll use reload or Ceramic Turtle Wax spray coating to maintain/boost the CQ Lite.

    Thanks for tips/advice
    I have not used P&S Pearl but based on what you have I would go this route. Gold Class can at times mask the hydrophobic properties of a sealant or coating. More than likely attributed to the gloss enhancers within. You can use this with the two bucket method of your choice be it towels or wash mitts.

    ONR works but like always follow proper rinseless technique and know when it it time for a rinsless or a traditional wash. Also expect to see they hydrophobic properties change by using ONR.

    Reload is fin but just be aware that it does not last that long. I would actually recommend Elixir as a maintenance product. Use it as a drying aid and you would be set.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Maintain/wash ceramic coated paint

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have not used P&S Pearl but based on what you have I would go this route. Gold Class can at times mask the hydrophobic properties of a sealant or coating. More than likely attributed to the gloss enhancers within. You can use this with the two bucket method of your choice be it towels or wash mitts.

    ONR works but like always follow proper rinseless technique and know when it it time for a rinsless or a traditional wash. Also expect to see they hydrophobic properties change by using ONR.

    Reload is fin but just be aware that it does not last that long. I would actually recommend Elixir as a maintenance product. Use it as a drying aid and you would be set.
    Thanks for the advice.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Maintain/wash ceramic coated paint

    My birthday is coming so I'll just ask my fiancee some Carpro Reset 1L bottle as a gift.
    Reviews seem very positive for that product with coating.

  8. #8
    Senior Member WillSports3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    1,058
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Maintain/wash ceramic coated paint

    Any shampoo with nothing in it will work just fine I think. I tend to stick to the same brand.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Maintain/wash ceramic coated paint

    Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Any shampoo with nothing in it will work just fine I think. I tend to stick to the same brand.
    Well this morning I gave the P&S Pearl Shampoo a try and it worked very well wth the multiple MF towels technique recommended by Mike.
    I used 7 MF towel in a 5 gallon + 2 oz of Pearl. Lubricity is awesome with it. Even if the product itself is on the thin side, it is concentrated no doubt.

    So water rinse, pre wash with foam cannon (Pearl didn't lather/sud very well but never mind) + pressure washer, then the multi MF technique one panel by MF.
    Then for the drying I used my carpro towel primed with 2 little spray of Reload. It was a breeze.
    Beading and sheeting with Cquartz Lite is very nice BTW. You definitely feel the paint is protected.

    So for now, using that technique, I don't see the need of buying some coating oriented carwash soap.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 12-31-2019, 11:55 AM
  2. Ceramic Coated Car and Car Wash
    By Willbeen in forum Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2019, 05:47 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-25-2017, 03:26 AM
  4. How To: Properly Clean & Maintain a Coated Windshield
    By Nick McKees37 in forum How to Articles
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-13-2015, 04:12 PM

Members who have read this thread: 36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» May 2020

S M T W T F S
2627282930 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 123456