autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maintain/wash ceramic coated paint

I did the CQuartz lite coating topped with reload last week. I have different carwash on hand: P&S Pearl shampoo, CG Maxisuds and Meguiars Goldclass. I also have some ONR washNshine on hand. (heard great things about their Big red sponge + ONR they to prevent swirls)

I just don't want to spend another $30-$40 for no reason on a coating designed carwash if this isn't needed and I won't see any difference.

I already read that section: How To Maintain Your Coating
    So I know there are designed/dedicated wash products out there for coated surface. I'm just wondering if those products are really required ans worth it, or if a regular carwash soap (2 buckets method) will be ok with coated surface.

BTW I'll use reload or Ceramic Turtle Wax spray coating to maintain/boost the CQ Lite.

Thanks for tips/advice

Mike Phillips

Re: Maintain/wash ceramic coated paint

Here's the tools and techniques I use to wash a coated car regardless of the soap you use.

How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

Note you do see 2 buckets but one is for clean towels and the other for dirty towels.

That's my 2-bucket method.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh thanks Mike. Tremendous.

So lots of clean/inspected MF towels (one per panel). Any thoughts about using ONR or let's say Gold Class/Pearl Shampoo instead of a wash designed for coating?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Polochon View Post

Oh thanks Mike. Tremendous.

So lots of clean/inspected MF towels (one per panel).
    More towels = safer

Any thoughts about using ONR or let's say Gold Class/Pearl Shampoo instead of a wash designed for coating?
    It's not a deal breaker.

I'm of the thought,

A coating wash that adds nothing just cleans

A coating wash that adds Si02 as a booster/maintenance pro-active regimen.

Whatever you use, washing frequently but CAREFULLY is the best option as you're keeping loose dirt and road film from building-up.

Post Thanks / Like

I did the CQuartz lite coating topped with reload last week. I have different carwash on hand: P&S Pearl shampoo, CG Maxisuds and Meguiars Goldclass. I also have some ONR washNshine on hand. (heard great things about their Big red sponge + ONR they to prevent swirls)

I just don't want to spend another $30-$40 for no reason on a coating designed carwash if this isn't needed and I won't see any difference.

I already read that section: How To Maintain Your Coating
    So I know there are designed/dedicated wash products out there for coated surface. I'm just wondering if those products are really required ans worth it, or if a regular carwash soap (2 buckets method) will be ok with coated surface.

BTW I'll use reload or Ceramic Turtle Wax spray coating to maintain/boost the CQ Lite.

Thanks for tips/advice
    I have not used P&S Pearl but based on what you have I would go this route. Gold Class can at times mask the hydrophobic properties of a sealant or coating. More than likely attributed to the gloss enhancers within. You can use this with the two bucket method of your choice be it towels or wash mitts.

ONR works but like always follow proper rinseless technique and know when it it time for a rinsless or a traditional wash. Also expect to see they hydrophobic properties change by using ONR.

Reload is fin but just be aware that it does not last that long. I would actually recommend Elixir as a maintenance product. Use it as a drying aid and you would be set.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have not used P&S Pearl but based on what you have I would go this route. Gold Class can at times mask the hydrophobic properties of a sealant or coating. More than likely attributed to the gloss enhancers within. You can use this with the two bucket method of your choice be it towels or wash mitts.

ONR works but like always follow proper rinseless technique and know when it it time for a rinsless or a traditional wash. Also expect to see they hydrophobic properties change by using ONR.

Reload is fin but just be aware that it does not last that long. I would actually recommend Elixir as a maintenance product. Use it as a drying aid and you would be set.
    Thanks for the advice.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My birthday is coming so I'll just ask my fiancee some Carpro Reset 1L bottle as a gift.
    Reviews seem very positive for that product with coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Any shampoo with nothing in it will work just fine I think. I tend to stick to the same brand.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Any shampoo with nothing in it will work just fine I think. I tend to stick to the same brand.
    Well this morning I gave the P&S Pearl Shampoo a try and it worked very well wth the multiple MF towels technique recommended by Mike.
    I used 7 MF towel in a 5 gallon + 2 oz of Pearl. Lubricity is awesome with it. Even if the product itself is on the thin side, it is concentrated no doubt.

So water rinse, pre wash with foam cannon (Pearl didn't lather/sud very well but never mind) + pressure washer, then the multi MF technique one panel by MF.
    Then for the drying I used my carpro towel primed with 2 little spray of Reload. It was a breeze.
    Beading and sheeting with Cquartz Lite is very nice BTW. You definitely feel the paint is protected.

So for now, using that technique, I don't see the need of buying some coating oriented carwash soap.