autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A little disappointed in my coating

As the title states, disappointed in the performance of my coating. I have a 2020 c43 AMG. I did all the prep work and applied 2 coats of CQuartz uk3.o and 1 coat of gliss 2.0. Seems to be a popular combination. I’ve coated about 20cars using a variety of coatings so I know how to do it. My cars are usually garage kept but this one I’ve let sit in the drive way for a few weeks. The coating is only 8 weeks old or so. Anyway, it really doesn’t like pollen. The moment pollen touches it it’s seems there is no protection on the car. I have washed it several times and it almost seems like I didn’t even coat the thing. Plus it attracts a lot of dust. I had it in the garage for the first 3 weeks or so and it was always dusty. The garage wasn’t dusty, just the car was.

As a comparison, the hood of my glc43 AMG has Polish angel Viking coat and if I leave both cars outside overnight side by side and they are equally dirty w pollen in the am, the one w Polish angel will wash off way way easier and display much better beading. I drove it through rain the other day and it was like a free car wash. Performed awesome. The CQuartz...not so good.

anyway not sure if anyone else has experienced the same w coatings and pollen. Thanks for reading.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A little disappointed in my coating

Sorry if this is too simple a question, but did you wash with Reset or a heavy cleaning soap in case the pollen is just clogging it?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't washed it with reset, just w chemical guys honey dew. I will check and see if I have reset and try that.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Mckee’s coating prep works well for me. If you dont have that or Reset see if you have another Alkaline soap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Honeydew has gloss enhancers and will mask the properties of the coating. Switch to Reset.

Also, you’re not using Bead Maker as drying aid, are you? That would explain the dust magnet behavior you’re seeing.
    Bruno Soares

6. Likes The Guz, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntwillie1 View Post
    just w chemical guys honey dew.
    That’s your problem. I’d suggest getting some Iron X snow foam and reset, first foam the car and let dwell for a few minutes then rinse and wash with reset. Your coating should spring right back to life.

CG is really good at marketing....that’s about it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Your experience is the exact opposite from what I've seen. As others mentioned, I'd look at the type of soap being used any any other toppers you might be using which be interfering with the coating.

I would also add that just because the pollen builds up on the car and the beading/sheeting action of the coating goes away doesn't mean it isn't protecting the car. Pollen build up will affect the water behavior of the surface regardless of what you put on it. Simply washing the car should bring it back.

My vehicles wearing both CQuartz and CanCoat will turn yellow in the spring from all the pollen and the water sticks to the surface like they've never been cared for. A quick wash with a good soap and all is well.

This weekend I had my car out for the first time in a while. Despite being black, it was turning yellow from all the pollen in the air. Fortunately we had a torrential rain come through and my car was sparkling clean afterwards.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Likes ntwillie1, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Honeydew has gloss enhancers and will mask the properties of the coating. Switch to Reset.

Also, you’re not using Bead Maker as drying aid, are you? That would explain the dust magnet behavior you’re seeing.
    Hi. I’m not using beadmaker on this car yet but plan too. Either that or reload. I was trying to stay in the family for this one as long as I could so was holding off on bead maker plus trying to see how the coating held up on its own.

Truth be told I have never had any issues on any previous car or coating weather indoor or outdoor by using chemical guys soaps, specifically this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Your experience is the exact opposite from what I've seen. As others mentioned, I'd look at the type of soap being used any any other toppers you might be using which be interfering with the coating.

I would also add that just because the pollen builds up on the car and the beading/sheeting action of the coating goes away doesn't mean it isn't protecting the car. Pollen build up will affect the water behavior of the surface regardless of what you put on it. Simply washing the car should bring it back.

My vehicles wearing both CQuartz and CanCoat will turn yellow in the spring from all the pollen and the water sticks to the surface like they've never been cared for. A quick wash with a good soap and all is well.

This weekend I had my car out for the first time in a while. Despite being black, it was turning yellow from all the pollen in the air. Fortunately we had a torrential rain come through and my car was sparkling clean afterwards.
    Ok. Seems everyone is recommending reset. I dont have iron x snow foam but i do have regular iron x. I will go ahead and wash w reset and see how that goes.

I do agree that the coating is still protecting the car. I just don’t like how pollen defeats the coating’s beading and hydrophobic abilities so easily. I expected more from it. I have used this combo before but it was on a car that was kept exclusively in the garage so never noticed it. Hopefully pollen season ends in 2-3 weeks and I can stop being annoyed by this. My outdoor cars also turn yellow/green from all the pollen so I know what you mean.

W

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntwillie1 View Post
    Truth be told I have never had any issues on any previous car or coating weather indoor or outdoor by using chemical guys soaps, specifically this one.
    Honeydew is not a bad soap, it foams great and smells really nice. But it does seem to impact the behavior on coatings. I used that soap in the past and when I switches to coatings that was downgraded to be my wheels soap and I think I'm all out of it now. Once I got Reset I found no reason to use any other soap, that one works really well and for the amount of washing I do, the price is not an issue.
    Bruno Soares

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast