autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: Ceramic cost

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic cost

As you all know I am knew to this profession and it looks as if I may be getting my first job for ceramic. How much does materials cost you, also how many hours does it take? I figured I would cut my first ceramic customer a good deal but just don’t know what the is. Now I need to go hide until I am no longer embarrassed over my dumb question. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic cost

Welcome. Depends on the product of course. Material is pretty inexpensive really. A 50ml bottle will go quite far. 10-15ml per layer on a sedan.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks also adding to my question what are some things I need to watch out for with it

Mike Phillips

Great question....

Recently I taught a class for the local Corvette Club.

Like the words,

Turtle Wax

(all car guys have known the words turtle wax for decades)

The words ceramic paint coating have hit and actually surpassed the Tipping Point. The masses now know the latest buzz words in our world, ceramic paint coatings. And many people now want a ceramic coating for their car - this means business for you.

That doesn't mean the masses know anything about them? And from my point of view, the masses don't understand that just like with great results from a car wax, great results from a ceramic paint coating ALL come from the PREP WORK and a HUGE part of the prep work is time and labor.

All the masses know is the tiny glass bottles.

So when I taught this class, for all these guys that "think" the coating is a tiny glass bottle of some kind of magic voodoo juice, after that all took a seat in the garage, I asked them,

How many of you own a random orbital polisher?

They're like, Huh?

And then the class started. And after talking for only a out 20 minutes I had the guys ON THEIR FEET working on 2 Corvettes.

Anyway, what I wanted to really share with you is that in my write-up from this class, I LISTED all the products we used. You can click on these one-by-one and tally up the cost of the "liquid" products and have a general idea of what it costs to have the inventory to coat one car. Of course you'll have leftover product for the next car.

And of course, this doesn't include the cost of a polisher, pads and towels - all vital and important inventory to do a proper detail. As is a good hand held light, which I include in the below write-up.

So click the link, check it out and this can be ONE resource for you to figure this out.

2020 Stuart Corvette Club Ceramic Coating Class at Autogeek

5. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whalerfreak View Post
    Thanks also adding to my question what are some things I need to watch out for with it
    Not sure of your level / experience detailing but overall they are pretty straight forward. I like CarPro as I use Essence, their primer/polish. It works great, does what it says and as a base layer of protection/primer it's compatible with their coatings and I find it also makes removing coatings a breeze. Key is to have good diffused lighting. A cloudy day does wonders when pulling the vehicle outside to check for high spots. Key is removal of product. I wipe in one direction going towards the areas that have not been done, removing most of the remaining carrier solvents and product. Then I buff in circular motions to avoid re-depositing product to the sides which is typically what leads to high spots. Don't fret if you find any. Most will wipe off/buff off if you catch them within the hour or two. After, you can simply wipe them with some Essence/polish and re-coat that small area. Not a big deal. Overall though I think you'll be fine.

Toss your applicators but not your removal towels. They can simply be tossed into a bucket of water/laundry soap and soaked until you launder them. I use the 16x16 CarPro micro-suede like towels. They leave zero lint and do a great job.

Hope this helps.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Not sure of your level / experience detailing but overall they are pretty straight forward. I like CarPro as I use Essence, their primer/polish. It works great, does what it says and as a base layer of protection/primer it's compatible with their coatings and I find it also makes removing coatings a breeze. Key is to have good diffused lighting. A cloudy day does wonders when pulling the vehicle outside to check for high spots. Key is removal of product. I wipe in one direction going towards the areas that have not been done, removing most of the remaining carrier solvents and product. Then I buff in circular motions to avoid re-depositing product to the sides which is typically what leads to high spots. Don't fret if you find any. Most will wipe off/buff off if you catch them within the hour or two. After, you can simply wipe them with some Essence/polish and re-coat that small area. Not a big deal. Overall though I think you'll be fine.

Toss your applicators but not your removal towels. They can simply be tossed into a bucket of water/laundry soap and soaked until you launder them. I use the 16x16 CarPro micro-suede like towels. They leave zero lint and do a great job.

Hope this helps.
    So you would apply Essence underneath as a primer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whalerfreak View Post
    So you would apply Essence underneath as a primer?
    Yes. It's a solid primer base-coat for their coatings. I really like it. has some minor fillers in their which is why it helps really enhance the gloss level. That is then sealed in with the coating. Works great and again, helps make their coatings much easier to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also a big fan of Essence prior to coating with CQuartz. Such a nice polish, easy to spread around and wipes off w/o any effort.
    Bruno Soares

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Great question....

Recently I taught a class for the local Corvette Club.

Like the words,

Turtle Wax

(all car guys have known the words turtle wax for decades)

The words ceramic paint coating have hit and actually surpassed the Tipping Point. The masses now know the latest buzz words in our world, ceramic paint coatings. And many people now want a ceramic coating for their car - this means business for you.

That doesn't mean the masses know anything about them? And from my point of view, the masses don't understand that just like with great results from a car wax, great results from a ceramic paint coating ALL come from the PREP WORK and a HUGE part of the prep work is time and labor.

All the masses know is the tiny glass bottles.

So when I taught this class, for all these guys that "think" the coating is a tiny glass bottle of some kind of magic voodoo juice, after that all took a seat in the garage, I asked them,

How many of you own a random orbital polisher?

They're like, Huh?

And then the class started. And after talking for only a out 20 minutes I had the guys ON THEIR FEET working on 2 Corvettes.

Anyway, what I wanted to really share with you is that in my write-up from this class, I LISTED all the products we used. You can click on these one-by-one and tally up the cost of the "liquid" products and have a general idea of what it costs to have the inventory to coat one car. Of course you'll have leftover product for the next car.

And of course, this doesn't include the cost of a polisher, pads and towels - all vital and important inventory to do a proper detail. As is a good hand held light, which I include in the below write-up.

So click the link, check it out and this can be ONE resource for you to figure this out.

2020 Stuart Corvette Club Ceramic Coating Class at Autogeek

nice advice