autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LC orange pads losing stiffness?

I would bet on the pads were too wet and got too hot during usage and damaged the structural integrity of the foam. That's why you go through more pads and use them for less time, to avoid overheating. Also a reason why I don't prime my foam pads, when you prime them you put so much product that the pads are too wet and with friction that water in the pad gets hot. Probably best to replace them.
    Bruno Soares

2. Likes custmsprty, PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I would bet on the pads were too wet and got too hot during usage and damaged the structural integrity of the foam. That's why you go through more pads and use them for less time, to avoid overheating. Also a reason why I don't prime my foam pads, when you prime them you put so much product that the pads are too wet and with friction that water in the pad gets hot. Probably best to replace them.
    I was under the impression that dry/unprimed pads didn't perform as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebrammer252 View Post
    Only if it's a microfiber pad. Foam pads don't require priming. When I started I used to prime. After having a few pads fail I researched more and learned that too much product on the pad is bad. If you're priming you end up with too much product even before you polish your first section. What I do now is on the first usage of a pad I put maybe a couple extra dots of polish and on the second I apply the dots to areas that were in between the first ones so by the time I'm done with 2 sections the pad is covered and still not wet like it would be if I primed.
    Bruno Soares

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Only if it's a microfiber pad. Foam pads don't require priming. When I started I used to prime. After having a few pads fail I researched more and learned that too much product on the pad is bad. If you're priming you end up with too much product even before you polish your first section. What I do now is on the first usage of a pad I put maybe a couple extra dots of polish and on the second I apply the dots to areas that were in between the first ones so by the time I'm done with 2 sections the pad is covered and still not wet like it would be if I primed.
    Well I definitely know one of my pads I let get too wet and saturated with product yesterday. I was priming the pads, then adding 3 pea sized drops of product. Then after each panel pass I would use my brush on the pad, then add 2-3 more drops and move to the next section. At one point it almost seemed like a switch flipped and the product started "foaming" on the panel, like spreading very white and heavy. I've gotten in a habit of feeling the center of my pads after each section pass to gauge temperature, and it was definitely hot in the center.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I definitely know one of my pads I let get too wet and saturated with product yesterday. I was priming the pads, then adding 3 pea sized drops of product. Then after each panel pass I would use my brush on the pad, then add 2-3 more drops and move to the next section. At one point it almost seemed like a switch flipped and the product started "foaming" on the panel, like spreading very white and heavy. I've gotten in a habit of feeling the center of my pads after each section pass to gauge temperature, and it was definitely hot in the center.
    Yeah, it will always get hotter in the center, that's why some pads have a hole there, to allow for additional cooling. That's also why the center is where they collapse first and feel soft there, perhaps even look sunken in.
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

Thanks Mike! I had them drying overnight and this morning they still feel really soft compared to a brand new Orange pad.

Do they still have the same cutting ability?
    Hard to say, I'm not there.

No pad will ever be as good or the same as the first time you use it.

Everything wears out - even you and I.

Clean them as best as you can. Let them fully dry and then go for it. If you think about it - that's the most you can do. Besides buying more pads.

I wash everything in our work washing machine and dry everything in the work dryer. Old school top-loading washer and front loading dryer - nothing fancy but they WORK great for my needs.

Here's after washing and drying and this is after using 303 Compound in the video link I shared for the 1957 - these pads were grossly dirty, you can see them in the video - that's why I shared it.

Read here,

Priming You’re Pads

Priming a foam pad is okay but in my opinion - there's really no need for it once you have some experience.

I used to show this technique on TV and also in a lot of how to videos, now I just put my product on and get to work.

Like this,

Check out this article,

How to correctly use an AIO or Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Here's me putting product on a pad for a new tool review.....

Review: RUPES Mark III BigFoot 21 Polisher by Mike Phillips

Here I've put some of the Pinnacle Jeweling Wax on the face of the pad.... if you don't know - you use a one-step cleaner/wax like a compound or polish as it relates to how much product to use.

You certainly don't take the silly advice of using 3 peas sized drop.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike made a long post about this very thing just yesterday.

Note, I wash mine in the washing machine and so does he as noted in post.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the links Mike, time to do some reading! Appreciate everyone's responses!

I need to readjust my thinking of how much product I use it looks like! So when using an AIO like 3D HD Speed, I need to use an ample amount, then after the first section pass do I reduce the amount I use, or stick with an ample amount?

For something like M105/Ultimate Compound and M205/M210/Ultimate Polish, do I also use an ample amount initially? Then after that first section pass when the pad has product on it, do I start reducing how much product I use?

Lastly, I don't think I've seen an article yet on how much product to use when applying wax via DA polisher, any insight on that one?

Sorry for the seemingly redundant questions, I had read enough stuff I thought I was going about this the right way. So I need to rethink my processes from scratch and make sure I get it right!

Edit : Mike, I just found this article from you! Is this a preferred method I should be following for both AIOs and Compound/Polishes?

How much product do I use with my DA Polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

You always will use a bit less the second time you add product.

A good way to avoid pad saturation is to use plenty of pads.

I have a RC full-sized Ram truck (my avatar) and I will go through 16-20 pads when I machine polish.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast