autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating for hobbyists

Hello all, I’ve been detailing for about 5 years and I’ve learned a great amount “stalking you all” lol. I recently acquired a black challenger SRT 392. I’ve never done ceramic coating and would like to make my first attempt. I am very overwhelmed at all the choices on the market and wide range of recommendations.

Can you please recommend a ceramic coating for a black car that is daily driven and not stored inside.
    I have the car done and ready to go using iron x, clay bar, and eraser pro panel wipe. I have not chosen a compound yet.
    I have griots boss line, sonax perfect finish, jesscar compound. I don’t know what to use to get the paint defect free for ceramic. I am not opposed to purchasing other recommendations to complete this project.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating for hobbyists

Welcome to the first coating! For ease of use, check out GYEON CanCoat. Very versatile product that can be used on the paint, wheels, trim, engine plastics, exhaust, and even glass. Very easy to apply. Will last at least a year with good maintenance. If yo're looking for something long term that can be layered, GYEON SYNCRO is awesome. Very capable base layers of MOHS topped with the very slick and glossy SKIN top coat.

3. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff at Gyeon View Post
    Welcome to the first coating! For ease of use, check out GYEON CanCoat. Very versatile product that can be used on the paint, wheels, trim, engine plastics, exhaust, and even glass. Very easy to apply. Will last at least a year with good maintenance. If yo're looking for something long term that can be layered, GYEON SYNCRO is awesome. Very capable base layers of MOHS topped with the very slick and glossy SKIN top coat.

what would you consider the hardness of dodge/challenger paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Are you looking for a lite version of a coating or a more durable coating? A lite version is a good way to get your feet wet.

Gyeon CanCoat is a great first time coating. The benefits of a coating without the long durability. As Jeff mentioned one can get about a years worth of protection with proper maintenance. I think CanCoat is Gyeon's best coating. I dare say better than Syncro from my experience.

Cquartz Lite would be another good one to consider. Slightly more durable than CanCoat.

As far your question about paint hardness, well you have some good products so test spot with Perfect Finish. I was able to correct this charger with 3D one.

2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392

Jeff makes it look easy

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Are you looking for a lite version of a coating or a more durable coating? A lite version is a good way to get your feet wet.

Gyeon CanCoat is a great first time coating. The benefits of a coating without the long durability. As Jeff mentioned one can get about a years worth of protection with proper maintenance. I think CanCoat is Gyeon's best coating. I dare say better than Syncro from my experience.

Cquartz Lite would be another good one to consider. Slightly more durable than CanCoat.

As far your question about paint hardness, well you have some good products so test spot with Perfect Finish. I was able to correct this charger with 3D one.

2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392

Jeff makes it look easy

thanks for all the helpful info! I just don’t want to be caught empty handed as it’s my daily so if I attempt to correct the defects and it’s not good enough for coating right after I’ll end up have to re do the entire care once more appropriate products come in the mail. Just trying to make sure I have the perfect two step prior to dropping the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a black mustang, garaged but daily’d and sees some miles. Cancoat is great and easy to use I’d say i’d gotten a strong 10 months out of cancoat only with toppers. Cquartz lite may be more durable but comparing to a dark grey stang with it on I’d give looks to Cancoat. Also cancoat application stupid easy.... not sure about Lite.

That being said I did most of the car with cquartz UK3 and it was pretty easy to use and going over a year strong. If don’t mind a little more work CQUK3 (2) coats with 1 coat Cancoat is what i did and loved the performance and gloss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I like to recommend Renny Doyle’s Inspiration. With proper maintenance, it lasts a solid 2 years. And is very very easy to apply. Plus it fills a little bit. Plus BeadMaker works as a great topper for any coating, and is super cheap

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest CQUK. Using that, you'll really learn how most coatings do apply, and what to look for since it does slightly darken paint. Also it's just a great product in general.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If I can give my input.
    I did my first ever ceramic coating 2 days ago on my black 2018 VW.
    I used CQUARTZ Lite. Did Palmolive wash + IronX + Clay + 2 step polish + Eraser + Cquartz lite + Carpro Reload (they recommend Reload to prevent water spots if car isn't in a closed garage in the first 24-48h)

Cquartz lite was really easy to use. Application isn't complicated (a little goes a long way) and buff off is straight forward. Just need to work on small 24x24 area.

I'd recommend it to someone that want to try Ceramic coating for the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum paint guard. Easy to apply, slick and durable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast