autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Need Some Advice on Claying

So I知 ready to clay my truck, and I知 hoping you guys could help me with a few questions:

1. Is it okay to use a wash and clay mitt, or better to use a clay bar and lubricator? I知 more interested in quality than time saving here.
    2. Do I have to worry about marring with the clay mitt, like I would with a medium vs a fine grade clay?
    3. I have a rather large truck (2014 GMC Sierra ext. cab), so any estimates on the number of bars I would need to clay it, if I did go that
    route?

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Some Advice on Claying

I've always read that you will most likely get more marring with a clay mitt than with a cla bar. The mitt action is more aggressive than a standard clay bar.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3. Thanks Cdhoff502 thanked for this post
    Likes Cdhoff502 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never used a mitt. I have one for the next time I do my truck (hopefully next week).

1) Personal preference. Mitt with a high-lube wash seems to be a good alternative to clay.
    2) Any of it can mar. Too many variables to say what will or won't. Maybe an expert can chime in here.
    3) When I use clay, I usually do the hood and one side with a gumball-sized chunk, then the other side and roof with a second one. Any of the kits are more than enough. It's the detail spray that you'll need more of.

5. Thanks Cdhoff502 thanked for this post
    Likes Cdhoff502 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you decide to use a mitt make sure you break it in on glass. I always like using clay bar because I could not only feel the change in "pull tension" but you also see the contamination on the clay. With a mitt I couldn't feel the change in pull tension. (once you start using a clay bar you will know what I mean with pull tension) I found marring comes from too much hand pressure, you don't need much to make it work. I use fine grade on my car which I take good care of, medium for cars I know have never been done and rims. I would suggest you do Iron X treatment before you clay, also debug and tar removal to minimize bar contamination then one bar of clay will be more then enough.

7. Thanks Cdhoff502 thanked for this post
    Likes Cdhoff502, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdhoff502 View Post
    So I’m ready to clay my truck, and I’m hoping you guys could help me with a few questions:

1. Is it okay to use a wash and clay mitt, or better to use a clay bar and lubricator? I’m more interested in quality than time saving here.
    2. Do I have to worry about marring with the clay mitt, like I would with a medium vs a fine grade clay?

3. I have a rather large truck (2014 GMC Sierra ext. cab), so any estimates on the number of bars I would need to clay it, if I did go that
    route?

Thanks for the help.
    dpevans answered your questions quite well. Your avatar looks like dark paint, so I hope your planning on polishing after claying no matter what clay method you choose.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post