autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Good touch up paint?

Hi all,

I'm wondering where I can get good touch up paint. In particular for late model ford vehicles.

My understanding is that you want "fresh" touch up paint for the best match and that you should avoid pre-made paints like at a dealership.

So, where can I get good "fresh" touch up paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good touch up paint?

I've always been fond of and use Dr. Color Chip products. They work great.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Chips or sections? I am looking at two different systems to paint mudflaps. Automotive Touch Up Paint from PaintScratch - Order Pro Grade Paint - PaintScratch.com (I hope this is ok AG admins). I have a pearl on my Fusion (White Platinum) and this is the only place that shows a base coat, mid coat and clear.

Another one I found is Touch Up Paint and repair | AutomotiveTouchup but for my same color its only a two can system. Both above also include options for flex and primer and other prep chemicals.

If its just chips I have heard that Dr. Chip has a really good reputation as well as end users being happy with results.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I've always been fond of and use Dr. Color Chip products. They work great.
    i've tried a few methods, and i think this is pretty close to the best. The laguna blob remover method worked well too.

Just don't expect miracles. It helps for 6' away but that's about it.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    i've tried a few methods, and i think this is pretty close to the best. The laguna blob remover method worked well too.

Just don't expect miracles. It helps for 6' away but that's about it.
    I HAVE to ask. Laguna Blob method?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcats98 View Post
    Chips or sections? I am looking at two different systems to paint mudflaps. Automotive Touch Up Paint from PaintScratch - Order Pro Grade Paint - PaintScratch.com (I hope this is ok AG admins). I have a pearl on my Fusion (White Platinum) and this is the only place that shows a base coat, mid coat and clear.

Another one I found is Touch Up Paint and repair | AutomotiveTouchup but for my same color its only a two can system. Both above also include options for flex and primer and other prep chemicals.

If its just chips I have heard that Dr. Chip has a really good reputation as well as end users being happy with results.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out!
    Looking to repair a half dozen rock chips (~1/8" diameter), 2 small, into primer scratches (3/16" long) and I am going to try my hand at fixing a down to metal bumper scrape (about 2/3" oblong diameter) before I send it to a body shop (which will probably be necessary, but I'm going to give it a shot).

I've been doing a bunch of you tube watching, and I have a hail damaged vehicle (2003, metallic grey) to practice on before I attempt the above repairs on a 2018 F-150 (Shadow black).

I'm pretty OCD (and I have a lot of time on my hands currently, hah), so I want the best possible repair for at least the most visible damage, not Dr. Colorchip/Lanka. That means primer, base coat, clearcoat, level, wetsand and buff. I plan to share my results here; should be fun.

What I am looking for is a reputable place to buy fresh touch up paint for a reasonable price.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he means the Langka paint chip system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MilesTeg View Post
    Looking to repair a half dozen rock chips (~1/8" diameter), 2 small, into primer scratches (3/16" long) and I am going to try my hand at fixing a down to metal bumper scrape (about 2/3" oblong diameter) before I send it to a body shop (which will probably be necessary, but I'm going to give it a shot).

I've been doing a bunch of you tube watching, and I have a hail damaged vehicle (2003, metallic grey) to practice on before I attempt the above repairs on a 2018 F-150 (Shadow black).

I'm pretty OCD (and I have a lot of time on my hands currently, hah), so I want the best possible repair for at least the most visible damage, not Dr. Colorchip/Lanka. That means primer, base coat, clearcoat, level, wetsand and buff. I plan to share my results here; should be fun.

What I am looking for is a reputable place to buy fresh touch up paint for a reasonable price.
    I like your thinking. Try to fix it yourself with the understanding if it doesnt meet your expectation you will have the body shop do it.

I think the toughest part will be the blending into existing panels as I don't think there is a way to "age" the paint in the can to get close to how your current paint as aged. I know when I do my mudflaps there will be a color difference

Keep us updated as I am very curious to see your results and comments!

-'Cats

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MilesTeg View Post
    I think he means the Langka paint chip system.
    I tried the Langka system, it didn't work at all for me. It relies on factory-type touch up paint, which you'll wait days and weeks on end to fully dry.

By the time I was getting the "blob" leveled, there was no more paint left in the chip! LOL

Now I wonder if Langka will work with Dr, C-Chip Paint, besides their own Sealact Solution?

Post Thanks / Like

no i mean blob haha, but yes langka blob remover, not laguna haha.

Use any touch up paint, but blob it on. Like a big old blob that fills the chip. Resist the urge to dab. Then use the blob remover to bring it flush to the existing paint. I tried this method with just cheap old duplicolor and found it worked better than the more expensive dr. color chips. I wish I had pics and if I wasn't lazy I'd take few of both methods on the same car, but this site makes pic uploading a PITA.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast