autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Catching up to "modern" times...

Hello All -

Was here many years ago for advice on cleaning up and sealing my 2010 S4.

I'm sorry to admit that I've been neglecting my car for some time insofar as the baby treatment - running a small business and family have a way of eating up time. I sealed it eight years ago with Opti-Coat and was very pleased with it and feel as though I still see the protection today when the car is clean.

Today, however, it is clearly due for some love. I pulled out my car care box and tested the Nanoskin from back then on the trunk lid and it feels buttery smooth now - very nice. I don't have any polish left ( and probably wouldn't use it after this much time...) but do have the pads from the original 7424 kit I bought here back then that appear to be in great shape.

What I am looking to clean up are basic swirl marks and linear marks from the silicon blade my hand car wash company used to dry cars with. Surprisingly, a pass with the Nanoskin on the trunk lid appeared to clean up quite a bit but I know it will still need to be polished even after I run the Nanoskin across the entire car.

I am looking for some advice/comments on two parts of this:

1 - I don't believe most of the swirls or marks are deep enough to generally need a deep cut polish. I'm leaning towards the Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing after spot polishing anything requiring extra attention. I am also very interested in the Optimum Hyper Polish for the simple spray application.

2 - Once polished and cleaned, I am thinking about sealing it again using Optimum Opti-Gloss. I was very satisfied with the Opti-Coat from years ago and would use it again if it were available. I understand that Opti-Gloss applies in nearly an identical way and will bond to Opti-Coat in the event there is still some remaining on my car.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Phillips

Re: Catching up to "modern" times...

Quote Originally Posted by slykens View Post

Hello All -

Was here many years ago for advice on cleaning up and sealing my 2010 S4.
    Welcome back!

I am looking for some advice/comments on two parts of this:

1 - I don't believe most of the swirls or marks are deep enough to generally need a deep cut polish. I'm leaning towards the Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing after spot polishing anything requiring extra attention. I am also very interested in the Optimum Hyper Polish for the simple spray application.
    Both are great products that use great abrasive technology.

2 - Once polished and cleaned, I am thinking about sealing it again using Optimum Opti-Gloss. I was very satisfied with the Opti-Coat from years ago and would use it again if it were available. I understand that Opti-Gloss applies in nearly an identical way and will bond to Opti-Coat in the event there is still some remaining on my car.

Thanks in advance!
    That's my understanding too.

Dr. David Ghodoussi is a top notch Chemist and makes top notch products. I don't think you can go wrong with anything from Optimum Polymer Technology.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Catching up to "modern" times...

I personally love Hyper Polish. I buy it by the gallon. It’s very versatile. Since you are still impressed by OPT, I’d just get a bottle. Especially if you plan on recoating.