autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Opinions welcome on purchasing new detailing kit..

Hi everyone!
    I am getting ready to do a complete detail on my 2016 Focus ST, and considering some new products.
    The color is Race Red, and my last full detail was in 2017.
    I keep the car garaged, and the paint is in great shape. After considering getting in professionally detailed, and a little unsure how long I'm going to keep it, I thought maybe buying a dual action polisher (have never used one before), and doing it myself. In the past, I've generally used Meguiar's products, and have enjoyed good results. But; by hand, it's also been work!! Lol!
    I've spent the last few days on AutoGeek checking out some kits that include the Griot's Garage #9 polisher, and some other kits.
    With my paint in great overall shape, do you think a polisher is really necessary? I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for your time!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions welcome on purchasing new detailing kit..

I dont have any good input on the kits but some close up pics of paint might help others.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

A polisher is a great investment if you want to keep your car looking good. The Griot's G9 you mentioned is in my opinion the best entry level polisher because it's priced fairly, delivers a lot of performance, and lifetime warranty.
    Bruno Soares

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning all!
    Thanks for your input so far!
    Thinking about the Griot's Garage Polisher Club Kit, and their Polish & Poly Wax Kit.
    Having 2 different polishers sounds like a pretty good idea.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by GKH ST View Post

Morning all!

Thinking about the Griot's Garage Polisher Club Kit, and their Polish & Poly Wax Kit.

You mean this one?

Griot's Garage Polisher Club Kit, griots orbital polisher, dual action polishers

That's a great way to get into both polishers and you'll appreciate the ability to swap between polishers when buffing out different size panels. Keep in mind there's a 2" backing plate available for the G8 and a 5" backing plate available for the G9. Between these to additional backing plates and the 3" and 6" backing plates that come with each machine you'll have all the backing plate options and thus the pad size options to tackle just about any body panel shape and size.

One thing you'll want no matter what polisher you purchase and that is lots of pads. The kits Autogeek puts together basically include a few pads to get you going but the reality is you need more pads. If Autogeek or any company that sells polishers in kit-form put all the pads you actually need to buff out a car the price would scare too many people away from taking the step of purchasing a polisher. That's just how human thinking goes as well as sales.

Today at 3:00pm Yancy and I are going to be talking about buffing pads and one of the KEY TOPICS is how many pads it takes to actually buff out a car.

I always post the info about our Tuesday Live Broadcasts at the BOTTOM of the forum homepage

Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum

Post Thanks / Like

Morning all!
    It really helps to have a 6/5" machine, and a 3" machine. And that price for the kit is pretty sweet.

And Griot's machines are all guaranteed for life. Best customer service in the business.

Also, their liquids (polishes/compounds, car soaps, detail sprays, etc.) are among the very best in the industry.

I wish all of these kits/products were around when I first started. For just starting out, I would go with the Griot's kit and polishes. You will not be disappointed.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!
    I think, I've decided for now that I am going to start with the Griot's Ultimate Pad & Polish Kit, Griot's 5 inch Orbital Conversion Kit, (1) 2 Pack 5.5 inch Orange Foam Correcting Pads, and (2) 2 Pack 5.5" Black Foam Finishing Pad. I'll probably add the G8 Polisher later on. With buying the extra pads, I'm trying to keep the cost down a little.
    For detailing my ST, I think this should be fine. I plan on claying first, polishing, and waxing. I'll save the compound step for my 2007 Nissan Frontier. It needs much more attention, and I'll add more Orange pads, and others when I do that.
    Thank you much, Mike, for mentioning 'extra pads'!!!

Mike Phillips

Thank you much, Mike, for mentioning 'extra pads'!!!

No problemo. As you start your detailing project, you'll appreciate the extra pads.

Congrats on the new kit and moving up to machine polishing!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    No problemo. As you start your detailing project, you'll appreciate the extra pads.

Congrats on the new kit and moving up to machine polishing!

Thanks Mike!!!
    My order is officially placed.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning all!
    As part of my order has arrived with 3 items on backorder, I'm thinking about going ahead and order the Griot's G8 3 inch polisher, as well.
    Just to review, my original order was the Griot's Ultimate Pad & Polish Kit. With that order, I also ordered a 5 inch Backing Plate with 5.5 inch Orange Foam Correcting Pads & 5.5" Black Foam Finishing Pads.
    So; I want to make sure that I order essentially the same pads in the 3 inch size for the G8 Polisher. This, of course, brings me to the next question. Which G8 Polisher kit would be my best option of these two?
    "Griot's Garage G8 Polisher Hydro-Tech Kit" or the "Griot's Garage G8 BOSS Kit"? Or; is there another G8 Kit that might be a better option?
    As extra pads go for the G8, would the Griot's 3" Black Finishing Pads & 3" Orange Polishing Pads do the trick to work alongside the 5.5" Orange Foam Correcting Pads & 5.5" Black Foam Finishing Pads that I purchased with G9 Polisher?

Thanks again for the assistance!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast